Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Skyrim

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Skyrim

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 10-14-2011 07:40 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Anyone else have this preordered?

28 days and counting...and it'll take 10x that long to finish it...

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 10-14-2011 07:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

what's the diff. between this and that other nerd game everyone is talking about?

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 10-14-2011 08:09 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What other nerd game? :paranoid:

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 10-14-2011 08:32 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

My pre-order was sealed ever since I got out that damn sewer in Oblivion. But when I first saw that trailer, it was like hot fuck I need it. Sunk a good 150 hours into Oblivion, and I can't bloody wait for this one.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 10-14-2011 08:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

nope, that's not it.

guru
guru
PostPosted: 10-14-2011 03:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This, Modern Warfare 3, and Uncharted 3 all come out within a week of each other, don't they? That's going to be a serious impact to productivity across a big portion of the world.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 10-14-2011 03:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Can't wait for Skyrim.

Cowboys in '05
Cowboys in '05
PostPosted: 10-14-2011 03:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've had it preordered for months now. Can't wait for it

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 10-14-2011 04:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
What other nerd game? :paranoid:

Dark Souls, that's the one

redline
redline
PostPosted: 10-15-2011 05:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Did any of you pre-order it for less than $59? I'd like to buy the PC version as a gift for my wife, but I don't see the point of pre-ordering if it's the same price as on release day. Am I missing something? Is it worth it for physical versions instead of digital download because it ships faster?

Do the chickens have large talons?
Do the chickens have large talons?
PostPosted: 10-15-2011 05:57 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ToxicBug wrote:
Did any of you pre-order it for less than $59? I'd like to buy the PC version as a gift for my wife, but I don't see the point of pre-ordering if it's the same price as on release day. Am I missing something? Is it worth it for physical versions instead of digital download because it ships faster?

you got married?

redline
redline
PostPosted: 10-15-2011 06:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

andyman wrote:
ToxicBug wrote:

you got married?

Yeah, in July. Btw, I think I mentioned my wife and Skyrim in the Games you're looking forward to thread.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 10-15-2011 07:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

a wife that's a fellow gamer...well played :up:

redline
redline
PostPosted: 10-15-2011 07:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tsakali wrote:

Thanks, we get to share my current gaming computer, which is cool. I'll let her have it when I get my next, hopefully quad-GPU one :)

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 10-16-2011 03:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Games rarely support 2 GPUS/SLI properly, let alone 4. Better just to get 2 GTX 580's or something.

redline
redline
PostPosted: 10-16-2011 05:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

brisk wrote:
Games rarely support 2 GPUS/SLI properly, let alone 4. Better just to get 2 GTX 580's or something.

I was being told this when I was getting my 6870 Crossfire setup a year ago (two months before the 6900 series release). I took my chances and so far all the problems that I had were fixed with a driver or profile update within a few weeks of the game release.

Multi-GPU gaming became a lot more popular than before, so IMO it's a really good option these days. I've seen very good driver support from AMD and I think that nVidia is just as good. Two 580 GTX are around $1000, two 590 GTX are around $1400 (if you can find them). I think that it's worth it if you want to play on a 30" monitor. Plus, with more GPU's you will get less micro stuttering.

You're right, I will probably have problems with some games, however the biggest releases should have good driver support from the video card manufacturers. Worst case, I can disable some of the GPU's. For the record, so far I haven't needed to resort to that and I've played a lot of different games.

Believe me, if I actually had a bad experience with Crossfire, I wouldn't be itching to buy a multi-GPU setup in my next computer. I do have a problem with stencil shadows (AMD problem, not related to multi-GPU), therefore I'll most likely be switching to nVidia.

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 10-16-2011 05:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's usually the new games that struggle the most. It always takes at least a few weeks for ati/nvidia to provide proper sli support for games in my experience and in the end, I just couldn't be bothered with it anymore (I tend to play games as soon as they're released anyway so I can't be bothered waiting)

For what it's worth, my single GTX 580 has absolutely demolished every single game i've played, inc BF3, Crysis 2, etc.. microstutter can usually be fixed by enabling sticky keys in windows btw. It's a daft thing.

redline
redline
PostPosted: 10-16-2011 05:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

brisk wrote:
It's usually the new games that struggle the most. It always takes at least a few weeks for ati/nvidia to provide proper sli support for games in my experience and in the end, I just couldn't be bothered with it anymore (I tend to play games as soon as they're released anyway so I can't be bothered waiting)

For what it's worth, my single GTX 580 has absolutely demolished every single game i've played, inc BF3, Crysis 2, etc.. microstutter can usually be fixed by enabling sticky keys in windows btw. It's a daft thing.

LOL you wrote exactly the same thing as I did, only with a different conclusion. You're running Crysis 2 DX11 on Ultra settings at 1080p and you find it completely fluid? Tomshardware think that you need two and that's with no AA.

Once again, either way, on a 30" monitor or surround setup you need multi-GPU to run games with authority. I wouldn't get more than 1 or 2 GPU's to play in 1080p.

Btw, what's that about enabling Sticky Keys to fix micro stuttering? Do you have a link where this is discussed? Are you talking about this? For Dead Island, it has nothing to do with the GPU, it's a bug in the game.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 10-16-2011 05:53 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I only have a BFG GTX 295 and I ran Crysis 2 at Ultra with no AA/8xAF and the FPS never dipped a single time, never blow 60fps. So its possible.

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 10-16-2011 05:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, I ran Crysis 2 DX11/high-res textures @ 1920x1200 (24", graphic design-centric monitor) on full detail with AA (8x I think) and it ran between 50-70FPS. This is with an i7 @ 3.8ghz, 12gb ram. Obviously if you're doing higher res and/or multi-display, SLI helps, but i've had no incentive to get a 2nd 580 just yet, at least at this resolution. Besides, Crysis 2 is a dull game anyway and not worth spending thousands on.

Yeah, sticky keys fixed the Dead Island thing for me and that was the only game I ever noticed micro-stutter on. Apparently DX:HR had it at the beginning too, thanks to vysnc. It was fixed in a patch ready for EU though. Which other games are you noticing it in?

redline
redline
PostPosted: 10-16-2011 07:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

o'dium wrote:
I only have a BFG GTX 295 and I ran Crysis 2 at Ultra with no AA/8xAF and the FPS never dipped a single time, never blow 60fps. So its possible.

GTX 295 is a DX10 card, so you were playing Crysis 2 DX9, which is a lot less resource intensive compared to the DX11 version. Btw, a GTX 295 was a really, really fast card for its time, at this point it's approximately equivalent to a 570 GTX, therefore I wouldn't call your result surprising.

brisk wrote:
Yeah, I ran Crysis 2 DX11/high-res textures @ 1920x1200 (24", graphic design-centric monitor) on full detail with AA (8x I think) and it ran between 50-70FPS. This is with an i7 @ 3.8ghz, 12gb ram. Obviously if you're doing higher res and/or multi-display, SLI helps, but i've had no incentive to get a 2nd 580 just yet, at least at this resolution. Besides, Crysis 2 is a dull game anyway and not worth spending thousands on.

Yeah, sticky keys fixed the Dead Island thing for me and that was the only game I ever noticed micro-stutter on. Apparently DX:HR had it at the beginning too, thanks to vysnc. It was fixed in a patch ready for EU though. Which other games are you noticing it in?

I was talking about a different kind of micro-stuttering, the one which is caused by having multiple GPUs. Modern Crossfire and SLI works by Alternate Frame Rendering. This means that each GPU processes one frame at a time, in sequence. The difference in rendering times for each frame between each GPU sometimes causes a visible delay in the image appearing on the screen, which is called micro-stuttering.

Low and mid-range multi-GPU setups (like mine) are susceptible to this than high-end GPU's, therefore mine technically has the worst micro-stuttering possible. I have to say that if my frame rates are capped at 60 fps (Vsync on), I don't notice any. To me, micro-stuttering only becomes noticeable when the frame rate dips lower, such as at 30 fps. In this case, the rendered video looks less fluid than it would at the same fps with a single GPU.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 11-03-2011 06:54 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

T minus 1 week...

Predictions? Game of the year?

freakzilla
freakzilla
PostPosted: 11-03-2011 07:11 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tsakali wrote:

sounds like the ultimate nerd story...have a nice digital life morons :olo:

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 11-03-2011 08:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

watched the first 23 mins. not gonna be goty imo. still has bad voice acting and a bad animation system.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-04-2011 12:08 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Tsakali wrote:
what's the diff. between this and that other nerd game everyone is talking about?

Scrolls? :olo:

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 11-04-2011 09:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:olo:

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 11-04-2011 10:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

the gameplay trailer looked pretty good, watching conan pound on some random geezers just hanging around in the wilderness

font too modern though?

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 11-04-2011 03:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Tsakali wrote:

Scrolls? :olo:

not sure, i thought it was a game that already came out... though, it could be it.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 11-09-2011 08:59 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Debating if I should rock this out or not....

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 11-09-2011 09:13 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pretty sure this is going to be one of those must have. Co-op would pwn.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 11-09-2011 09:18 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've not played an oblivion game before though and am really not sure what to expect other than "ZOMGAH FTW PWNAGE" or something like that

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 11-09-2011 09:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 11-09-2011 09:54 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:
I've not played an oblivion game before though and am really not sure what to expect other than "ZOMGAH FTW PWNAGE" or something like that

No? Ah they're tons of fun, time vortex type of games.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 11-09-2011 10:51 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

bros here in dutcheeland already playing it. bitches amirite?

good thing i have the ubernerd version coming up soon

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 11-09-2011 06:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Don Carlos wrote:
Debating if I should rock this out or not....

Do it up man. I thought Oblivion was fucking dumb at first but I gave it the benefit of the doubt and sunk many hours into it. Has good replay value too cuz of all the different character classes and the sheer size of the world. I don't even think I did the main quest, I just ran into the forest and started fucking around. Being a thief and a murderer... tons of fun.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.