Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Skyrim

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Skyrim

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 05-31-2012 09:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh my yes.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 05-31-2012 11:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

in every generation a slayer is born etc...

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 06-02-2012 10:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

fKd wrote:
you need to disable antialiasing. its a 1.5 patch + ati/amd issue

Is there a high-profile game that has come out in the last two years that doesn't have issues with ATI/AMD cards? Why do people still buy that shit?

Linux Version
Linux Version
PostPosted: 06-06-2012 06:57 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mogul wrote:
Is there a high-profile game that has come out in the last two years that doesn't have issues with ATI/AMD cards? Why do people still buy that shit?

When I was building my most recent box, virtually everyone was telling me to get an ATI/AMD 78XX or 79XX. From stupid reddit to other forums to even the overweight guy at the retail store where I picked up some of the parts.

I actually considered it briefly. But then I remembered that I've been using nVidia parts for over a decade now with absolutely no issues across 2 OSes. So yeah, GTX670 it was.

Truffle Shuffle
Truffle Shuffle
PostPosted: 06-06-2012 02:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

you want a 660ti ? when the 7850 costs the same !, I havnt had driver issues with ATI cards since rage 128 days and the 9600pro was my longest serving and most reliable card I ever had !, Nvidia on the other hand stopped giving 2 shits about their consumer long ago, couldnt play BF3 because they completely fucked up a driver and this is from a former fan boi

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 06-27-2012 09:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm digging the crossbow so far in the DLC. It shoots far, seems more accurate than the bow, and is more powerful than the bow (my steel crossbow is more powerful than my ebony bow [no smithing perks]). It shoots more slowly than the bow because of the reload, but it's more fun to shoot because it's more natural to have the arrow shoot when you press the trigger instead of when you release it.

I can't really say much about the story without spoiling it, but so far it seems pretty good. Though I heard there's 10-20 hours of gameplay and I've only played 4 and haven't been rushing or anything so I shouldn't rate it yet with so much more to play.

I had some perks in archery already for sneak attacks, but the crossbow is making me think of making it the focal point of my build, seems pretty good for every situation besides for close quarters, even medium range isn't too bad cause I have that perk that slows down time when you aim.
I'm not sure if vendors are going to start selling bolts like they do arrows, I would think they would. I've been to the Drunken Huntsman a few times (that archery store in Whiterun) and they haven't had any, but it could be just bad luck.[edit2: turns out you can buy them at ft dawnguard]

[edit] Unrelated to the DLC, but not worth making a separate post for: Does anyone know if those guys on the run who give you items and tell you to hold on to them ever come back for them? I've had two pieces of armor taking up space in my inventory for what feels like forever now, but I haven't sold them because I'm hoping the guys eventually come back to get them and give me a good reward or something. Luckily they're both light armor gauntlets so they're not very heavy, but it's still a pain when I find something that would sell for a lot in a dungeon and it puts me just barely overweight.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 07-01-2012 11:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No one else has played the DLC? I know it's only available to 360 users as of now, but I thought the 360 players would have tried it out. It's $20, though, which is a lot for DLC.
[20 hours later] Anyway, I've played a fair bit now. Haha, in fact, my actual game hours are inflated quite a bit from me not knowing certain side quests were infinite. Lol, I was getting frustrated turning in the same quests over and over in a seemingly endless cycle only to find out that certain side quests are, in fact, endless. They just send to you to different radiant locations to perform more or less the same objective. I'm playing the Dawnguard side and so far everything is really cool.

I can't say I like having a mandatory follower too much though, it ruins my guerilla attack style of play, but as long as I can get rid of her when I'm done it's cool. The crossbow is still amazing, I've read lots of bad reports about it, but it's replaced the bow for me. Crossbows shoot slower than bows, the reload is slower than the draw with most bows, but it is more powerful. It also seems more accurate because the bolts have less of an arch to them than the arrows have and the bolts move faster than the arrows. The crossbow is louder than the bow - meaning enemies are more aware to it when you fire, but I haven't had a problem still making it my sneak attack weapon of choice.

If your bow is your primary means of damage I could see how you would be disappointed, but for those like me who only use the bow for ranged combat sneak attacks, or for openers before switching to melee, the crossbow is amazing.

All in all, the crossbow seems balanced, which is amazing considering most DLCs make new weapons over powered. The fact that the crossbow not only shoots slower, but is "louder" is great. It makes bows and crossbows viable for different types of builds.

The mandatory quests so far have been very cool - while the landscape of Skyrim has always been a beautiful open world, you'd be missing out if you were to simply run through the dungeons in the new castles and what not.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 07-09-2012 10:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I am playing the DLC

there is a walkthrough here if anyone is stuck:
Skyrim Dawnguard Walkthrough

Also if you need more info on the DLC you can check this wiki:
Skyrim: Dawnguard

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 07-10-2012 10:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

anyone playing the naked mod ?

some fine looking bitches, and lawl u will like the doods

you can get the mod from planetquake.com, it's on the main page

I nose it!
I nose it!
PostPosted: 07-10-2012 11:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SoM wrote:
anyone playing the naked mod ?

some fine looking bitches

you pervert

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 07-10-2012 01:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

small penis for sure.

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 07-10-2012 01:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

about the mod i posted, everyone is naked 100%

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 02-26-2014 10:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I hurt GKY's feelings during the 2013 Summer Sale when I indicated that I didn't feel like a nearly two-year-old game was worth $30 during a sale known for its outrageous deals. Seeing him in so much pain caused me to reconsider my stance on paying $30 for the Legendary Edition of Skyrim, and I did. Like many Steam games, it was dormant on my hard drive for months before I felt up to touching it. But I did touch it. And its nipples were hard as fuck. This game rules.

Last night, I finally hit level 100, with all skills at 100 (some of them hit 100 multiple times), at 194 hours played. I have 100% Steam achievements, and I spent the last ~30 hours or so playing on Legendary difficulty. I am just about ready to call it a day with Skyrim and I wanted to share my enthusiasm with u hom0s.

The first thing to be praised is the consistent tone they managed to hold in the vanilla product. The vistas are stunning, and the mysterious, Raiders of the Lost Ark-style soundtrack to the dungeons never got old. The soundtrack in general has high points in composition that rival any game soundtrack I've ever heard. Jeremy Soule had a hand in it so I'm not surprised. This is THE Nordic fantasy I have wanted since I was a kid. They sell the experience of living in Skyrim, and make it so enjoyable, that one is motivated to boot up the game just to take in the world again and enjoy its visuals and music. If there's one aesthetic complaint I have with the vanilla product, it's that the items look too traditional fantasy. Coming off of Blizzard RPGs for a decade, the gear designs in this game more often than not felt like I was watching some dinky fantasy made-for-TV movie from the 80s. There are exceptions (Nightingale armor, Daedric armor, Dragonscale armor, and a handful of the special weapons) but for the most part, while I wouldn't call the look of the items uninspired, as it clearly draws inspiration from a specific place, I do think it's too plain for my tastes.

In terms of game systems, it seems like they have refined some of the better parts of what Fallout 3 offered, and replaced some concepts with new ideas. This will piss off Diablo 2 fag0ts, and I have posted about this before, but thank fucking God they removed attribute points. There is nothing lamer than leveling up, only to be rewarded with a handful of points to be distributed amongst tons of different stats, each point increase yielding a change so incremental and inconsequential that you won't even notice an effect until points have accumulated over multiple levels. Instead, they opted for a system that strikes me as a halfway point between oldschool talent trees and the "choose between a few abilities across multiple tiers" thing that WoW uses. Instead of getting 5 attribute points to pump into a variety of stats, you get one point. But the choices you get to make with that one point are far more compelling than the old alternative. In Skyrim, there are only two or three multi-point dumps per perk tree. Often, the perks have immediately noticeable effects on the way you play your character, making them useful, understandable, and making the choice between them actually compelling. I still don't think they've done it as well as Diablo 3 did it, but this is such a huge step forward from Fallout 3. Leveling up immediately matters, and every level, I couldn't wait to reach new perks because they were actually fun to choose between, and I didn't even have to water the experience down with point distribution. Nice improvement.

The gameplay managed to surprise me. I spent the first 49 levels as a pretty standard warrior-type. I found the melee combat to be pretty hit-or-miss. Aside from the special fatality animations that accompanied some of the kills, it rarely felt visceral. Again, perhaps apples and oranges here, but for melee combat, Diablo 3 (and even WoW) found a way to demonstrate the weight and power of your gear in combat, without making you feel encumbered or clumsy. Playing a two-hander build in Skyrim felt like I was tripping over myself constantly, only hitting the target about half the time because of how unresponsive and slowly you lumber toward your opponent during a power attack. So I switched to dual-wield one-handers. This was a marked improvement, and I found myself satisfied with it, overall. That was, until I tried a stealth/archer build.

Outside of Metal Gear Solid, I have never had much of a taste for stealth. I guess I'm not very patient. This is why I played barb in D3, paladin/warrior/dk in WoW, heavy weapons/heavy armor in Fallout 3, and it's why I started as a warrior in Skyrim. The most positive gameplay surprise or me in this game was how they managed to turn a career plate-wearing melee dude into an enthusiastic stealth dude within about 10 levels, due to the compelling fantasy they were able to sell with the great stealth gameplay. Sneaking is fun. Pickpocketing is fun. 15x dagger damage from backstab is fun. Archery sniping is fun. The kicker is that this happened inside of an RPG. Again, comparing the game to Fallout 3, RPG combat rarely pulls a person into the experience in an immersive, identity-encompassing way that FPSs typically achieve. But this was different. It changed how I thought about RPG gameplay. It changed the way I feel toward an entire build archetype. I barely even touched the caster options and aesthetics, but maybe I will later.

The biggest blemish on an otherwise incredible experience, for me, was the Dawnguard DLC. I went vampire and I couldn't believe how shitty the model was, how unfinished the animations felt, how boring and tedious the gameplay was, and how out-of-place the tone they brought with them felt in the land of Skyrim. They managed to completely fuck up the vampire fantasy in almost every way, while barely even fitting into the Nordic framework in which the rest of the game very comfortably resides.

I mean, when you think of what it would be like to become a vampire, what's the first thing you think of? An anorexic, grey gargoyle that floats a foot off the ground, with a glowing-red right hand and a left hand that glows blue, right? That just SCREAMS vampire. This horribly ill-advised aesthetic wound up being home to some of the worst gameplay I have experienced in the last generation. Why do you have to re-bind the Revert Form every time you transform into a vampire lord? Why can you only have one active ability at once? Why are your two choices -- as a fucking VAMPIRE -- to either cast range spells, which are hardly effective, and are so, so tedious, or to thrash with haymaker melee attacks? Again, just SCREAMS vampire, right? The perks and abilities were also lame. I don't know how many "raise dead" abilities I can tolerate in my spellbook before I feel like the developers lacked imagination or the design was headed by someone without enough experience. And finally, due to the games weird content scaling, I never felt powerful, even as a maxed-out vampire. In fact, when I went back as a werewolf in the mid-90s level range to see if it was any better, the same gameplay and scaling problems showed up there, too. You get two-shot because you're still doing level 10 damage and even if your health read over 700, you go down hard. Well, full disclosure, I was playing on Legendary difficulty. Still, they failed to give any defensive perks and abilities to either the vampire or the werewolf and that is bullshit. I digress. Fortunately, I was able to endure the hellish shit pile that Dawnguard is and complete its campaign, with a fully-powered vampire (and much later in the game, a fully-powered werewolf) in roughly 10 hours.

Dragonborn DLC felt immediately better, as you actually got to play your amazing character you'd been developing all this time, instead of switching into a poorly envisaged piece of shit diversion with awful gameplay mechanics like in Dawnguard. The storyline in Solstheim was a big improvement, having a completely new land (new to Skyrim, anyway) was a plus, and the abilities and environments (such as Dragon Aspect, and the realm of Apocrypha) were cool additions. I love the Cthulu-inspired saga of Hermaeus Mora. The biggest complaints I have about Dragonborn are that the dragon riding ability fell sorely short of what the fantasy could have been. It's an on-rails merry-go-round that is completely inconsequential and frankly is a waste of the player's time, functionally. That, and I suppose DLC never feels as polished as the original product, overall. One wonders how much the DLC actually improved the product. Candidly, I think I would have preferred if neither Dawnguard nor Dragonborn ever existed, or if I'm wishing, just that only Dragonborn existed, but all the development time that went into Dawnguard were added to Dragonborn instead.

DLC aside, the game has been fantastic. There is still much content to complete, an entire character archetype to explore (better done on a new character, which I don't know if I want to invest in at the moment), and more to learn about the deeper mechanics of the game. Perhaps there is even more character power to exploit, but I feel close to the height of what's on offer, as Legendary Dragons on Legendary Difficulty are literally unable to cause damage to me (lol). I do plan to keep playing for a while.

Skyrim was a great game. The best RPG of the last generation, and a promising glimpse at the future of not just Bethesda's games (bring on Fallout 4!), but the games industry which no doubt will learn from Skyrim's triumphs which are many, and design mishaps, which are few. Probably not a game for everyone. If you're a big enough turbovirgin to spend over a decade on this forum like I have, it probably is for you. Yes, it's worth whatever price Steam asks.

fuck u...

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 02-26-2014 10:30 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yep...

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 02-26-2014 10:57 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Skyrim sucks. Go play Dark Souls.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 02-26-2014 11:15 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

tldr

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.