Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        1 In 4 Americans Thinks The Sun Goes Around The Earth, Surve

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: 1 In 4 Americans Thinks The Sun Goes Around The Earth, Surve

plained
plained
PostPosted: 02-25-2014 09:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 02-25-2014 09:32 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have a hard time believing that...

plained
plained
PostPosted: 02-25-2014 09:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

me too

who actually believes surveys ey?

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 02-25-2014 09:52 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Not Stephen Harper.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 02-25-2014 09:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quote:
Only 66 percent of people in a 2005 European Union poll answered the basic astronomy answer correctly.

i wonder what % of NPR reporters have a decent sub-editor?

also, why did the NSF wait so long to publish the poll? sounds dodgy

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 02-25-2014 10:17 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

plained taking up the slack for GFY?

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 02-25-2014 10:20 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This isn't a cheeseburger thread.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 02-25-2014 10:22 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No, but it is a lol Americans thread. Even though the "survey" is bullshit...

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 02-25-2014 11:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Anyone know where to find the text of this? All I can find are news sites and blogs that link back to each other.

plained
plained
PostPosted: 02-25-2014 11:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

this comment from the artice was kinda cute AND cheeky i thought lol

"Dolphins still believe the world revolves around fish and they're still doing OK."

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 02-25-2014 12:04 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

this makes me miss GFY

The World is Yours...
The World is Yours...
PostPosted: 02-25-2014 01:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

shaft wrote:
this makes me miss GFY

:tear:

I found an article here and also here that discuss our original topic and its findings a bit. Of course this '1 in 4' article is booming in the shadow of the Nye vs Ham debate.

Speaking of that, because now I am watching it, how can anyone really believe in Creationism? I guess that's easy for me to say from someone who doesn't hold religion. Is there anyone here that honestly believes in creationism?

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 02-25-2014 01:39 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

scared? does..

The World is Yours...
The World is Yours...
PostPosted: 02-25-2014 01:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Should have assumed that seeing as how they obviously don't believe in birth control.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 02-25-2014 02:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

seremtan wrote:
Quote:
Only 66 percent of people in a 2005 European Union poll answered the basic astronomy answer correctly.

also, why did the NSF wait so long to publish the poll? sounds dodgy

What's dodgy about spending a little over a year to fact-check, format, cite and publish a report as big as this one? Chapter 7 alone is 50+ pages long.

xer0s wrote:
No, but it is a lol Americans thread. Even though the "survey" is bullshit...

What's bullshit about it? :offended:

EtUL wrote:
Anyone know where to find the text of this? All I can find are news sites and blogs that link back to each other.

It's the second link of the article... http://www.nsf.gov/statistics/seind14/c ... -7/c07.pdf

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 02-25-2014 03:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:

EtUL wrote:

It's the second link of the article... http://www.nsf.gov/statistics/seind14/c ... -7/c07.pdf

Doh lol...I clicked the first one and it just went to their main site so I assumed the second link was to a site for that conference.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 02-25-2014 11:06 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Κracus wrote:
I have a hard time believing that...

Welcome to our world

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 02-26-2014 07:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:olo:

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 02-26-2014 10:52 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:
What's bullshit about it? :offended:

There are generally many problems with these surveys. Most of the time there are set questions with set answers and you usually can't expand on your answer. Most surveys are limited to certain groups, such as housewives (Geoff), working mothers, the elderly, and students. Also, think about it, how many people really want to do a survey, and if you do actually do it, you'll be aggravated and may even give then false answers just for spite or to make a joke about it...

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 02-26-2014 12:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

How could you expand on answering that the Sun revolves around the Earth to not sound like a complete moron? If you answer that question wrong, there's no need for a follow-up. And how exactly are they limited to certain demographics? I'm pretty sure they mix things up a bit to get a diverse sample size. It's the National Science Foundation, after all. If people don't want to participate, they can say no thanks and hang up or walk away. I would argue the results they get are more accurate since only those actually interested in giving answers will bother to stick around.

But yes, there are plenty of misleading surveys out there that are dubious, but I don't see this one being one of them.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.