Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Work has got themselves a waterjet cutter...

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Work has got themselves a waterjet cutter...

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 03-09-2012 04:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's fucking awesome, it can cut incredibly intricate detail from sheets ranging from incredibly thin .1mm to about 50mm stainless steel. It's pretty fast too. It can't cut detail the surface and it's only 3 axis so no angles on the vertical or anything, but it can cut pretty much any shape you can imagine in profile.

Any ideas (within reason) for things I could get them to cut me on the side? Available materials are pretty much aluminium, steel and perspex. I think 2mm is the thinnest sheet we have. Ahh actually there's some .9mm copper sheet too which might be nice. I suppose I could actually buy some brass or something special for it but I'd rather use their materials... IF I did something with copper I could etch into it afterwards too actually, as I'm doing some acid etching at the mo.

We made these earlier:

Some of the guys have been getting football emblems cut out but that's a bit ghey, i wanna get them to do something a bit more advanced.

I was thinking maybe the component parts for a little TF2 turret or get something lame cut into my pc case. Any ideas?

edit: to illustrate, it's the same variety of cutter as this (mute before playing):

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 03-09-2012 04:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:up:

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 03-09-2012 05:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 03-09-2012 05:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:

I approve this post.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 03-09-2012 06:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If you have access to a waterjet cutter, I feel like you have an obligation to make batarangs and then throw them at people.

Tap, Nap, or Snap
Tap, Nap, or Snap
PostPosted: 03-09-2012 08:34 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol, my first thought was "BATARANGS, MOTHERFUCKER", just like everyone else.

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 03-10-2012 08:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Batterangs it is! Someone cut a Thundercats logo today which was pretty cool.

I might get them to CNC me a recess in some hardwood and then mount some decoratively waterjet cut copper the same shape in it and make a little table. Toying with the idea of making a keyboard too, I need to learn how to tig weld >:E.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 03-10-2012 09:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

cut me a slammer for my pogs

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 03-10-2012 10:18 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

A mini Frostmourne would be sick but I'm guessing the CAD file would be too much work.

Legend
Legend
PostPosted: 03-10-2012 10:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's also too gay.

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 03-10-2012 11:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

bitWISE wrote:
A mini Frostmourne would be sick but I'm guessing the CAD file would be too much work.

I don't mind doing the CAD work, in fact I could do with the practise because it's an avenue I want to pursue. The waterjet can't do angles tho so if I made your frostmourne then have to build it up in layers. At some point I am going to get them to CNC of my zbrush boomer (probably a the bust, so I can get more detail) out of high density poly once I give him clothes.:

Their next purchase is a CNC milling machine so that might be able to achieve details like the sword handle but probably the best way to do that sword would be to cut the blade and sharpen it using a twin wheeled grinder and then just sculpt the handle freehand. They have a lathe too so if I pay for materials I thought about making an aluminium portal gun at some point. I'd only start it if I had a long contract with them because if I had to abandon it half way through and go to another job chances are I'd lose interest.

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 03-10-2012 01:19 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

plained
plained
PostPosted: 03-10-2012 02:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

thats wicked ey!

so many things to cut wow

hey could you cut some lightweight cheap material that loooks like castle'y custom stone work?

get a bunch of that for your place for surrounding the doors windows and entertainment center ey!

that would be awesome!

ultra modern mid-evil ey!

*edit whoopsie i guess that idea would be better achieved with the cnc thingy and not the watercutter

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 03-21-2012 10:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

how big?

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 03-21-2012 10:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

the letters would have to be separate.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-21-2012 02:21 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The best one is where they got that fishy sign with legs under it and the text Darwin or Evolution or so

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 03-21-2012 03:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:olo:

Theftbot
Theftbot
PostPosted: 03-22-2012 12:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.