Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Cyber-illusionist Marco Tempest

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Cyber-illusionist Marco Tempest

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-26-2012 04:50 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Saw this article on BBC News about a guy called Marco Tempest who combines classic illusionist tricks with technology to create magical illusions. There's a video on the BBC site here that shows some things he does, which is pretty neat. His website can be found here: http://marcotempest.com/

I especially like how he's in favor of what he calls "open sorcery". Sharing his tools and ideas with other people so people can collaborate and create new things. That is the open source idea and he's applying it to a world that's shrouded in mystery by nature. Illusionists traditionally aren't very keen on sharing their ideas.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 03-26-2012 09:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

He must have not heard about The Magic Circle. Amateurs...

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 03-26-2012 09:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
Illusionists traditionally aren't very keen on sharing their ideas.

For good reason. Once the secret is revealed, the mystery is gone and what's the point of watching?

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 03-26-2012 09:19 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Appreciation of skill?

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 03-26-2012 12:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nope.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-26-2012 11:59 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Transient wrote:
Eraser wrote:
Illusionists traditionally aren't very keen on sharing their ideas.

For good reason. Once the secret is revealed, the mystery is gone and what's the point of watching?

Dunno. I find illusionist shows extremely boring to watch. "Wow, he made the girl disappear. Again".
Illusionists flying up in the air or making people (dis)appear doesn't impress me because I know there's a trick involved. I do find shows where they explain the intricacies behind the acts to be fascinating, because there are quite some clever tricks involved and often quite impressive skills and finger dexterity.

Arrr?
Arrr?
PostPosted: 03-27-2012 12:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Penn & Teller are masters at that. They explain the trick, show you how it's done (often times slowly so you can see the trick play out), then they still manage to pull something out of their hat, so to speak. :up:

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.