Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Wolfenstein 2009. Criminally underrated?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Wolfenstein 2009. Criminally underrated?

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 03-02-2012 09:55 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I liked the lame hub world with constant re-spawning enemies. game sucked. (didn't play it)

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 03-02-2012 09:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yes M, TL:DR

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 03-03-2012 05:33 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Forgotten I had started playing this...I will pick it up again once I have nailed Bulletstorm

Cheers

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 03-03-2012 12:55 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
So, I snagged this in a Steam sale. I almost feel a little guilty. So, here's a little babble on it as my small offering of half-arsed repentance.
PC shooters are pretty dead eh? Puristic run and gun replaced by tedious cover-toggling button pressing, in time to enemy fire to compensate for the limitations of joypad controls. Thus the player can casually clear a room whilst squatting in place as if in a European shitting-shed. Consolitis and Consolification. 2 of many dirty words that allude to the laundry list of horrible, crippling ailments that our beloved genre has succommed to over the big-budget corperate yellow-stained gaming years. Yawn. And for some, ARRRGH.

So I picked this up regardless, with gritted teeth and a faint, doubt-tinted, cod-eyed expression; hoping in the least for a bitter-sweet hint of by-gone nostalgia. Loading up confirms a few fears. A slightly tight (but honestly, not nauseatingly so) FoV (i'd guess about 80), shitty mouse controls, few graphics options. The only real 'fix' needed however is that V-sync: Off completely eliminates the mouse-lag, with some quite prominant screen-tearing as a compromise for the pin-point mouse control we all know and cherish.
That out of the way, my low expectations were then continuously kicked in the goolies and face-planted into the ground. The game looks great. Not rocking every snazzy, GPU devouring effect under the blinding sun (mein eyes!), but more than functionably competent in every way that counts. Textures aren't obscenely low quality. Depth of field actually used right, in that far distance in large areas is atmospherically unfocussed, but I can still see across a street, or down an alley without feeling like I've had a skin-full of wife-beater and an Egyptian whiskey. Animations are brilliant. Cut-scenes especially. BJ's smile-raising, camp action-fare, served with multiple lashings of cheese, as he bewilderedly checks his body for holes after accidentally obliterating a boat-load of Nazis, was actually endearing to watch after suffering Jenson's flat-as-roadkill, fidgeting and flailing delivery, as if Gerry Anderson himself was pulling the strings whilst having a seizure. In-game holds up. Enemies don't get shot. They get claret-gushing holes punched into their fleshy, contorting bodies as they go down gargling with streaming jets of gore spewing from their clutched throats. Marvellous fun.

It almost genuinely 'feels' like Wolf. It's not spot-on. But the sounds and explosion effects are damn close, with that short-sharp FWOOM sound and violent particle flinging, plus modern weighty physics add pleasantly to the enjoyably volatile mix. Chuck a grenade into a room and boxes, barrels and other breakable breakables all satisfyingly splinter into smithereens, as enemies get flung face-first into the bricks and floorboards. Did I mention this was fun? AI isn't gonna win any chess tourneys, but it also doesn't sit around and wait for your lazy arse to flaff about coming up with a plan. If they know you're there, they'll often come. And the open(ish) world layout plays to this adequetly. There's often more than two ways into a building and these buggers will blessedly attempt to flush you out and flank you down. Numerous times I've been defending a building and been caught pants-down, carelessly sniping, by some crafty soldier, who came round the back and up the stairs to clock me over the head. So I shrieked, spun round, clubbed him in the gut with the butt of my rifle, shot him whilst he reeled back and hunched over spitting blood and then ran like the most aromatic of curry-induced wind, smashing through a door in my flee for safety and feeling this almost ancient sensation of adrenaline-induced FUN as more baddies piled-in after me. No control-snatching cutscenes, I-win buttons and animationalities, just me being badass. All me.

Gimmicks then. On top of the shooty you've got your 'Veil' powers. Think Soul Reaver, by way of FEAR. I'd say 'like Singularity', but that came after. However if you've played that, you know exactly what the deal entails. You can switch to 'the Veil', which shrouds the screen in your funky spirit-predator vision stuff, which looks kinda cool as it spreads across the game world at the press of a button. Whilst in Veilo vision, you can access certain doors, see secrets, highlight enemies and their weak-points plus see a few more baddies that only exist in the alternate plane. Clues are scattered here and there, from markings on walls and floors, to STALKERish anomalies, pulsing away in corners that hint when Veil vision will serve to reveal all. Not so super-naturally, this energy of course runs out after time and has to charge back up, or you can dash to a prominent glowy-spot inside the Veil to charge it back to full instantly. Not complex, not highly original, but it beats godawful hacking 'minigames' nonetheless.

This particular energy/mana/EVE/power/chi/er, depleting bar by any other name dependant trick of course also doubles as your super-uber-duper powers, enabling an energy shield, slo-mo, or something else I haven't unlocked yet that burns down your bar all the quicker. Overpowered somewhat, but aside from route finding it seems to be mostly up to the player how they choose to abuse it. Worth noting, although I don't know presently if this gets played on more, are the explodey barrels. There's the typical red ones what go boom, which is always nice, but there's also bloomy-blue ones, that apparently contain this Veil energy stuff, thus shooting one, or lobbing it at someone causing it to blow, instantly hurls everything in the vicinity that isn't nailed down skywards and gently floats it there, sans gravity. It's a sight to behold at times, as flailing Nazis hopelessly swim for their guns or randomly panic-fire as they flip arse-over-areolas, wailing in astonishment and leaving you to joyously hose them down into gibs before all the shattered debris and people pieces are uncerimoniously dumped back onto the ground. Ooh it's fun that is.
Granted I'm not far in, about 4 hours. So this is little more than first impressions. I don't know if the open map back-tracking will get tedious, although so far, it's a fairly pleasant pace-change as you re-enter familiar territory and either maliciously murder or sneak down and head-crack the few patrols that pop back up here and there, before you take on another action-stacked mission. Also there's upgradable guns and powers. In no way a thick RPG stew with stodgy stat dumplings, but an unobtrusive side-dish that offers a few options to taste, adding some flavour to whatever particular powers or weapons you prefer to silence shouty Nazi folk with. Not the shiniest cherry on-top, but it does give a reason to hunt around the maps a little to find cash and secrets. Also if the loading tips are to be believed, you can't ever have it all, making your choices slightly more choosey.

Short-list of downers: Very visible screen tearing, or an insanely chuggy mouse. Sprinting head-bob, so over-the-top it almost had me concerned if my monitor was going to fall off my desk. Checkpoint saves. Regenerating health. Open-areas, possibly seen as being needless to some folks. Abusable gimmick powers.
Uppers: Looks good. Feels good. Lots of guns, all at once. Actual run and gun twitch combat (if you so choose), complete with strafe-dodging and jumping over projectiles, on maps that aren't cutscene corridors. Greeting an unsuspecting Nazi guard with the business end of a pick-axe. Abusable gimmick powers.

Really, Raven make such good stuff and make it well. The critical pounding this game received from some tightly-strung, knee-jerking muppets was wholly undeserved. From Elite Force, Jedi Outcast, SoF 1 & 2 and Quake 4, there's simply not been a Raven game that hasn't delivered some of the funnest of fun shooters can bring, in great big bouncy globs at that and I kinda get the feeling that given enough time and money these guys could put something really special together one day. Note I haven't tried the multiplayer. I've no doubt it licks bum like a lollipop, because I was so into RTCW, but I may try and fit it inbetween Battlefielding one evening.

Babble over.
TL:DR: fuck u slags :rtcw:

editeditedit: i cannot type for toffee

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 03-03-2012 02:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

what a fat wigger

ya LOL

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 03-03-2012 02:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ffs, trim the personal drivel and i might read.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 03-03-2012 02:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol i never made it that far... started reading... realized why i left facebook and now this thread.

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 03-03-2012 07:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The first three or four hours of this game for me were bliss. I loved it. But it didn't take too long after that for it to start feeling extremely repetitive and I also got very tired of running around the hub city despite how fresh and cool it seemed when I started. Also, the final boss battle is a retarded damage zerg fest.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 03-03-2012 07:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I felt that the hub area was pretty lame, some poor level design, playability, and some awful textures. But the actual missions looked great and had some good gameplay. It was as if it were developed by two completely different teams of people (and indeed it sort of was).

Raven faced some kind of unspoken internal dispute about the direction of the game around mid-way through the development process. As a result, a lot of game features and levels were scrapped and much was rebuilt. I suspect Activision did some internal muddling and screwed the project up (fuck Bobby Kotick). As a result, the hub area suffered from some monotony, instead of being a much more open sandboxish gameplay that it was supposed to be. It instead became just a series of outdoor areas with respawning Nazis that separated the player between missions.

There was some potential with the rooftop access providing a stealthy way to avoid enemies, but because the routes were full of dead ends, it became really limiting. Overall, I think Raven faced some design changes and pressure from Activision that caused the project to be forced to completion. Otherwise, the string of actual missions are a whole lot of fun and I agree, underrated.

BTW, a number of LEM members work or has worked at Raven. I think at least 3 or 4 worked on Wolfenstein though they are still sworn to silence on the internal matters. I can see that some of the better sections of the game has some of their signature designs in them.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 04-13-2012 01:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I just replayed this game for the third time since I purchased it in 2009. I think its a perfect example of a "fun" title. Sure the textures are just dirtied up textures (to make them look better than what they actually are), and that hub city gets annoying especially when they give you about 40 nazis to grind through at once late game, but overall the missions were excellent and not boring, and the bosses are somewhat unique. Although I must admit I hate part two of the second boss, and the fact that they make the save point on part 3 right before you kill a bunch of those suicide bombers, so if you fail at killing hans you have to kill those annoying 'lil bastards over and over. Take that out and I thought it was a great title

The best part of the game is how good it looks while being so undemanding. My radeon 4850 always had constant 60fps in that game at 1080P maxed out.

It's games like this that don't make me feel urged to buy newer pc hardware.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 04-13-2012 03:35 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh hi!

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.