Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Dark Souls

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Dark Souls

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 05-11-2011 04:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Can't wait for this. Demon's Souls is easily in the top 5 PS3 games of all time for me and now the 360 tards can finally get a chance to see what all the fuss is about. When half the trailer is dedicated to showcasing the myriad of ways you are going to die, then you know you're in for some fun. This + Skyrim within a month of each other. God damn.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 05-11-2011 04:35 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Let's hope PSN is back up by then >:E

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 05-16-2011 04:12 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

360 tard? Oh B... :/

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 05-16-2011 04:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I own a 360 btw.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 05-16-2011 05:13 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Good lad ;)

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 09-21-2011 01:10 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nice interview with the game's director here.

I think my favourite piece of information is that there is no DLC planned for the game, meaning that it'll ship complete. I'm getting increasingly annoyed with publishers shipping games with paid-for DLC immediately available upon release. It makes me think I'm being short-changed; if I pay for a game, I want the complete thing thank you very much.

Oh, and he obviously has to remain platform neutral, but clearly the PS3 version with free multiplayer will be the better one :p

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 09-21-2011 02:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, I pre-ordered the PS3 version, mainly to avoid any port-related issues, but also cos of the free internets :up:

Still annoyed the guide book has now been changed to a downloadable PDF though :/

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 09-21-2011 04:44 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The guide from the American version of Demon's Souls was brilliant and invaluable, even though the ink on the cover came off. The UK version was prettier and better printed, but nowhere near as in-depth.
'tis indeed a great shame only having an electronic version instead of something physical that can sit next to you on the couch.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 09-21-2011 07:18 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Preordered thanks to Brisk and his amazing heads up on amazon's hyper offer :D

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 09-21-2011 11:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I am king of the pikeys. I will always find a good deal for me and my bros <3

Oh and in other news, the devs are trolling their fans already :olo:

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 09-29-2011 12:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

http://uk.ign.com/videos/2011/09/28/ign ... qus_thread

24 hour livestream now, hosted by a butch lesbian and a guy with an anti-sex beard.

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 09-30-2011 01:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I barely get the point of this game and its predecessor, Demon's Souls. A game that exists purely to be brutally difficult, even to the levels of absurdity, just doesn't appeal to me at all. In my college days I would have loved it. I am no stranger to the hardest-core of hardcore games, but I can't see a working adult having any part of it, really. Maybe this game's hype and success can be attributed to a reaction to the "hand-holding" game design "hardcore" gamers have been complaining about for so long.

I know some people here play WoW, and so do I, so I will relate it to a WoW experience I had.

Back in Sunwell, the final raid zone of TBC, I was in <V A N Q U I S H> and we earned top-5 US kills for every boss there, including the world first Kalecgos kill.

During M'uru progress, my guild spent over 500 attempts over the course of 16 nights of raiding to finally bring him down. Seeing M'uru (Entropius) go to 0% health finally, after all that, remains the highlight of my gaming experience, and probably will always hold that top spot. I know what hardcore is. But having been at a pinnacle of sorts, I don't see the point in carrying on with it.

I am sure everyone still here from the earliest days of this forum have asked themselves more than once, wow did I really spend a thousand hours of my life on that game? In the case of some of the hardest-core games, maybe you've found that you've spend multiple thousands of hours, all to gain a sense of accomplishment that is only a fleeting sensation.

tl;dr: there are better ways to spend one's time than bashing one's head into a brick wall in a video game until one "succeeds."

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 09-30-2011 02:10 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

anti-sex beard :olo:

Winner: Dark Souls

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 09-30-2011 02:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mogul wrote:
tl;dr: there are better ways to spend one's time than bashing one's head into a brick wall in a video game until one "succeeds."

There are also better ways to spend your time than writing a dissertation on a quake forum, pre-judging a game you've never played.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 09-30-2011 04:30 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It doesn't look impressive...

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 09-30-2011 05:14 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Demon's Souls wasn't "Hard" in an MMO sense, which I find the most annoying sense (increase HP and damage of mobs so that only masses of people can defeat them).
Demon's Souls is tough but fair throughout. It never once holds the hand of the player, but all obstacles can be overcome with a modicum of planning.
I'd argue that Demon's Souls is hard in similar ways to the Metroid Prime games. In fact, compared to certain Metroid Prime bosses (Omega Pirate for example, hnnnnnngh), Demon's Souls is pretty damn easy. Once you learn the tricks, it becomes a LOT easier, but you should also never, EVER underestimate its ability to fuck you in the ass.
If you don't get over-confident with Demon's Souls, you'll do well.

In essence, don't buy into all this new wave gamer bollocks about Demon's Souls or in all likelihood Dark Souls being hard. Compared to really hard games, they're walks in the park.

This ain't Battle Toads.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 09-30-2011 05:26 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

battle toads :(

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 09-30-2011 05:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Spot on as usual sir. I'll even go as far to say that Demon's Souls is actually pretty easy, once you get decent gear and understand the game mechanics. The initial challenge is due to the fact it throws you in at the deep end. It's a bit of a shock and you have to get out of the COD-style mindset and back into the old-skool style mindframe, that expected you to learn by failing. It's all about knowing when to attack, when to defend and when to run away like a sissy.

Despite NG+ being supposedly 40% harder than the default difficulty, you find yourself dying less, simply because you know the enemy attack patterns inside-out now. Learning opponent patterns is pretty much the most fundamental aspect of video games in the first place and has been since Pong. If you honestly don't want to put any effort into a game, then you'll probably find it a dull, unrewarding and ultimately forgettable experience. Maybe stick with Farmville or something if you want a quick fix with minimal effort.

Go play any competitive online FPS game against a decent team, who are 100% in sync and know every worthwhile tactic in the game and it'll be 10000000% harder than Demon's Souls ever would be. Human patterns are much more difficult to read than a set of scripted computer enemies.

Put simply, Demon's Souls (and subsequently, Dark Souls) isn't fun because it's hard. It's fun because it's a great game that just so happens to be challenging.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 09-30-2011 07:09 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

All this shite about preordering and I have realised it is the wrong fucking game and I have been playing Darksiders :olo: :olo: :olo:

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 09-30-2011 01:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fyi brisk, i played demon's souls.

e: because I was at a restaurant, I didn't have time to type this all out there.

Yes I am fully aware of the "learn by mistake" model. Quake requires it, raiding in MMOs requires it ("500 attempts over the span of 16 nights" on M'uru wasn't an exaggeration -- most guilds probably spent 40-50 hours over a couple of weeks learning that one encounter -- that ONE encounter); any "hard" game requires it.

re: human teams are harder because you can't "read" them. It would seem that way, and in a way that's true. But it's not the end-all-be-all of difficulty in games. Watch a Quake demo from top players. Even they fall into patterns on these maps that have been played for over a decade. Players always set up the same rail shots, the same item spawn-traps... teams often have a "point guy" to always get quad. Thinking of Fix from Clan Malfunction in QW there.

AI difficulty can be brutally hard, whether it's for lame reasons (Battletoads, as you already cited) or for great reasons (M'uru, Heroic difficulty Lich King, etc; not that I expect the lay person to know what any of that is or fathom the time or effort that it entails from 25 people simultaneously). It depends on how tightly the encounter is tuned and what you're capable of doing. Learning a pattern is crucial to success in any of these games, of course.

All that said, I find it refreshing that someone here is saying Demon's/Dark Souls aren't that hard. Still, the die/learn (hopefully)/repeat scheme is pretty tiresome and that was my point in the first place, even if I didn't spell it out that explicitly.

Last edited by Mogul on 09-30-2011 03:41 PM, edited 1 time in total.

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 09-30-2011 02:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Also darksiders was a pretty fun experience. Enjoy.

Unquantifiable Abstract
Unquantifiable Abstract
PostPosted: 10-01-2011 06:18 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah rocked Tiamat! Game is fucking epic dude, not my usual style either but I prefer it to Gears 3...

!Berserker!
!Berserker!
PostPosted: 10-01-2011 06:43 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wow, I just started playing Darksiders as well. The Tiamat battle was a blast!

OUR HERO
OUR HERO
PostPosted: 10-01-2011 11:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Unfortunately, Tiamat is the climax of boss battles, gameplay-wise, even though it's the first one in the game.

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 10-01-2011 04:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This entire game is dork sided :mad:

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 10-03-2011 07:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

9/10 on both ign and eurogamer. Seems they're reluctant to rate it higher, probably because they know many gamers will hate it due to the difficulty. Fair enough I spose. Hopefully it's successful commercially too.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-05-2011 03:53 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 10-07-2011 04:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

BRING THE PAIN, BITCHES

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 10-08-2011 01:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Game is pretty damn epic so far. Feels very much like the original Demon's Souls, which is probably why i'm owning it. Already at the Undead Parish and not much has troubled me just yet. I'm sure that will change, but it's certainly not a harder game than DS so far... in fact, it's probably easier because of the handy bonfires located everywhere. Maybe i'm just pro?

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 10-08-2011 01:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

brofessional?

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 10-14-2011 12:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think i'm nearing the end now, so i've decided to help my fellow man in co-op. It's hilarious watching people invade the games i'm summoned to, thinking they're gonna have an easy time against just one guy - then I pop out and ruin their shit.

Also, i've intentionally helped out players get to the bosses, then when they trust me completely and enter the boss rooms, I just stand back and watch them get slaughtered. Being a cunt in dark souls is a lot of fun.

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 10-17-2011 03:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

10 days later, the game is officially complete. 99% of the time I loved it, but the major criticisms I have are the wank p2p-based online system (major lag in pvp to the point where I just stopped trying) and the Lost Izalith level being a bit cheap and having poor level design (seriously, who thought making a giant lava pit with a million t-rex style demons that can kill you in 1 hit a good idea?)

I don't think it was harder than Demon's Souls, though obviously I knew the combat/gameplay dynamics inside out before I started this, so I guess that cut the sting out of it. The enemy designs/models are still fantastic and the whole world is just incredibly engrossing. When you get out of bed early to turn on the console and get a few sneaky hours in before work, you know the game is a winner.

I don't think i'll be doing NG+ for a while, since there's too many great games coming out in the next few weeks, but it's definitely something i'll return to soon. BUY THE FUCKING GAME YOU PUSSIES.

/blog

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 01-27-2012 01:54 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So I've been playing Dark Souls lately. Man, was I ever off about this game it's fucking awesome. Seriously, my only gripe is that unbalanced pvp aspect. Too many times I invade or get invaded by people and they're WAY overpowered compared to me. The only time it seems to be fair and reasonable MOST of the time is in the forrest when the blood moon convenant assholes come looking for me.

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 01-27-2012 08:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

PVP is the only reason I play this game now, but yeah, it's incredibly unbalanced, unless you know the game mechanics inside out and can prepare for any given situation.

There is a glitch in the game that allows you to use the bottomless box to store all your high-end gear and then make a new character, keeping all your existing equipment, but at a low soul level. What this means is that people who start the game fresh are now finding themselves getting invaded by people with twinked out gear, standing absolutely no chance. On the other hand, a lot of friendly phantoms now put soul signs up to counter these griefers. It's generally lame as fuck, though I do like the fact it's very easy to make new builds now, so it's not all bad.

The forest is pretty much the Mos Eisley of the Dark Souls world btw. It's full of the absolute dirtiest, cheapest, noobiest players in the whole game. 99% of the time, the host has summoned a friend to gangbang invaders as soon as they connect. They're usually rocking the full Giants/Havel gear and go for ultra-cheap kills. I do host there occasionally if i'm needing to level up, as it's by far the most active PVP area in the game. I also like to invade there and take the gankers apart, which usually leads to delicious ragemail. Dark Anor Londo is the same too.

The unofficial dueling area is The Kiln, but i've found just as many dirty gankers there as I do in the forest. In my experience, the best place to invade and get good honour duels is at the Undead Burg, next to the bonfire. You're almost always guarenteed a good game there, either as a Darkwraith or a Darkmoon Blade. It's also where all the low-level griefers like to invade the noob players, so it's pretty hilarious to invade their world and watch their horror as you utterly destroy them, knowing the table has been turned on them.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 01-27-2012 08:46 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, revenge in the burg would indeed be fun. I've invaded my fair share and been invaded and I've managed to fight off people who seem to be similarily equipped.

love the game though, I'm getting geared up to go kill the Hydra and the Wolf.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.