Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Modern Monetary Theory

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Modern Monetary Theory

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 07-12-2017 02:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

anyone familiar with it?

quick intro of the basic principle behind it: http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/lee-car ... 52090.html

apologies for shit audio :|

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 07-12-2017 08:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Taxing but interesting and I never thought of it like that. Where did you find this lecture seremtan?.... I do like the analogy of the man with the big stick being the taxman. (7.08)

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 07-12-2017 08:50 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quite interesting. All these fucking decimal points being moved around on a computer making money out of nothing. No mention in the article how printing money affects your currency on the global market. Good stuff though.

Extreme evil
Extreme evil
PostPosted: 07-12-2017 09:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

never heard of it, nice intro video

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 07-13-2017 03:17 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Uh, not exactly a huge eye-opener this?
What I do wonder though, is when he says there's governments that can produce their own money, I'm feeling like he's leaving out something very important. Like shaft said, printing money (introducing more money) into the system will cause inflation. This means the government can't just endlessly print money. If a government works so that they print their own money and spend that, wouldn't that mean that taxes paid by the tax payer have to effectively be destroyed to prevent a big flood of new money into the market?

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 07-13-2017 08:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

uh, did you even read/watch any of that?

first off, MMT doesn't describe what governments *could* do, it describes what they *actually* do but keep quiet about. if they *didn't* keep quiet about it, the entire public debate around taxation and spending would be radically changed. for one thing, we wouldn't have idiot members of the public going "hurr durr my taxes pay for that". also, it would impossible to argue for austerity cuts during a recession since, if you understand MMT, that's exactly the moment when fiscal policy needs to be expansive not contracting

secondly, the issue of inflation is actually covered in both the article and video. the entire purpose of taxation is to keep a lid on inflation. this is why periods of high inflation (e.g. UK in early 1970s) were also periods of high taxes, and conversely the squashing of inflation through crushing organise labour (among other things) led to a period of tax cutting (UK from 1980s onward)

also, taxes *are* destroyed. that's the point

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.