Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        Lego UCS Millennium Falcon 2017

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Lego UCS Millennium Falcon 2017

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 09-01-2017 02:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I suspect there are one or two closet Lego fans here so I thought I'd throw this one up.

Lego have finally re birthed the The Ultimate Collector's Series Star Wars Millennium Falcon of old :up:

Quote:
After a series of teases that a new Star Wars LEGO set would be the biggest in the company's history, LEGO has officially unveiled the Ultimate Collector Series Millennium Falcon.

Coming in at 7,541 pieces, the new LEGO set, revealed as part of Force Friday, is over 1,600 pieces larger than the previous biggest LEGO model ever, the Taj Mahal.

IGN Source

Here's a link to a previous post of mine on the earlier model 10179 and a speed build video. Just check out the physical size of the build :eek:

I think I will be buying and treat myself :D

Last edited by Whiskey 7 on 11-02-2017 08:16 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-01-2017 03:11 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

$800 in the US, €850 in Europe.
I think I'll pass

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-01-2017 03:12 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Although I did buy this to add to my modular buildings collection;
https://shop.lego.com/nl-NL/Gebouwenset-10255

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 09-01-2017 05:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Simply madness I know :alert: I mean me considering the purchase but life is too short they keep saying. It will be so much fun.

By the way the current price here on an Australian website is $1,299.99 :!: Thirteen hundred dollars! It also says 'Coming Soon on 1 Oct 2017'....

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 11-01-2017 07:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just got the call from the Lego store. The Lego UCS Millennium Falcon 2017 has finally arrived here for some :D
The store have put one aside for me and I have 2 days to decide if I will actually buy..... Thinking hard.....

Bück Dich
Bück Dich
PostPosted: 11-02-2017 02:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If you have the disposable income to afford it, go for it. :up:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-02-2017 05:45 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Keep it sealed in box and sell in a couple years. Guaranteed profit.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 11-02-2017 08:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yea, I thought long an hard on this one, considered carefully but I called the Lego store and said I won't be buying and to let it go to anther enthusiast.

Money wasn't a real consideration, it's just the sheer size of the monster and that box it comes in. You know you'd really need to keep if you ever disassembled. I even thought to get a professional cabinet maker to knock a sturdy (heavy) glass coffee table together to house the beast buy common sense, yes I still have some at 60+ prevailed.

Lead Pipe Mafia
Lead Pipe Mafia
PostPosted: 11-03-2017 04:39 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The price is ludicrous when you consider how much it probably cost them to make he pieces for it. It's pieces of plastic and surely can't be that expensive to create.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-03-2017 04:57 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

True, but you get that with a lot of premium brands. How much do you think your Nike shoes cost to produce? Or your iPhone? Granted, the Star Wars LEGO is especially expensive because of the Disney premium.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 11-03-2017 05:27 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Also, do you have any idea how much stuff like machine maintenance, R&D and design principles costs? Their strict rules of quality are almost ludicrous but all there for a reason.
You're really not just paying for 'pieces of plastic'. (which, by the way, is made of the most durable plastic on the planet, invented by and for lego itself*).

Cheap lego alternatives are available but are by far not as sturdy and tightfitting as lego. With those brands you probably are just paying for the plastic.

*a bit more nuanced but the point stands]

meh...
meh...
PostPosted: 11-03-2017 02:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The only non-lego "compatible bricks" I haven't handled myself are the Lepin sets, but the difference between even the best made bricks and Lego are immediately obvious. No other manufacturer is close to Lego for quality control (and customer aftercare!)

And yeah, MKJ hits the mark with R&D etc - they don't just churn out plastic bricks, they design sets that adhere to some fairly strict design principles with regards to playability and sturdy construction. They have systems from pre-school (Duplo) to some seriously advanced mechanical principles with the big Technic sets, as well as the programming (Mindstorms and Boost).
Lego sets are a lot more than just pieces of plastic :P

Long and Strong
Long and Strong
PostPosted: 11-16-2017 02:19 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol at IGN's photo number 10 :)

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 11-16-2017 02:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Giraffe }{unter wrote:
lol at IGN's photo number 10 :)

I had to go look... Humping in the hallway I see :)

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.