Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        The last movie you saw

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: The last movie you saw

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 01-31-2012 04:38 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I watched two movies recently:

Blade Runner (the final cut): 6.5/10
Sorry Blade Runner fans, but I can't go any higher than 6.5
Sure the sci-fi noir theming and look of the movie are awesome, even though the vision of the future of the 80's is, in some parts, old fashioned by current day technology levels while we're still a long way from it in other parts (flying cars by the year 2019!)

Anyway, the story is kind of simple, the pace of the movie is sloowwww (even for 80's standards) and the script hinges together kind of awkwardly. Rutger Hauer is putting down a great performance though. The movie gets bonus points for its aesthetics, but other than that, I'm not really impressed. I must admit that my expectations were pretty high though.

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind: 9/10
Underneath the way the movie has been set up, it's basically just a Romeo/Juliet kind of love story, that kind of starts at the point where Romeo and Juliet ends. But don't let that fool you, it's all poured in an intriguing mould of an almost Memento-like plot. I seriously enjoyed the movie and was pleasantly surprised by Jim Carrey's performance. He's a great actor, but he should stop himself from getting typecast into the crazy face roles he's mostly known for. Kate Winslet is totally adorable in this movie.

4days Joined: 15 Apr 2002
PostPosted: 01-31-2012 07:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

..and he directed and co-wrote it - great movie, that tunnel of hands bit creeped me out as a kid.

Eraser wrote:
Blade Runner (the final cut): 6.5/10
Sorry Blade Runner fans, but I can't go any higher than 6.5
Sure the sci-fi noir theming and look of the movie are awesome, even though the vision of the future of the 80's is, in some parts, old fashioned by current day technology levels while we're still a long way from it in other parts (flying cars by the year 2019!)

Anyway, the story is kind of simple, the pace of the movie is sloowwww (even for 80's standards) and the script hinges together kind of awkwardly. Rutger Hauer is putting down a great performance though. The movie gets bonus points for its aesthetics, but other than that, I'm not really impressed. I must admit that my expectations were pretty high though.

you hadn't seen blade runner before? that can't be right. someone should've warned you that it's a pretty slow-paced detective story rather than adrenalin-soaked action horror sci-fi.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 02-01-2012 08:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Super 8: 6/10

I had not seen any of the trailers for this movie or heard about the plot so it was nice to have no expectations. Reminds me of The Goonies. Great job on the acting and characterization, but I couldn't really care about the main plot or the alien, that ended up being a massive ball of cliche that was rather boring to watch. What kept me interested was the characters. I think as a movie it would have been better if it were grounded more in the real world (no aliens or secret military) and just be a coming-of-age story about young filmmakers making a movie during a natural disaster.

plained
plained
PostPosted: 02-01-2012 08:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

reading the dave bowie bio atm

he has a notorious big wang ey they memtion it in the book.

then they talk about his rival from way back mark bolan and his tiny dick and how it effected things

wtf ey :olo:

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 02-01-2012 10:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Descendants = 4/10 - The most cynical presentation of "Oscar Bait" I've ever seen in my life. The whole film is one depressing scene after another in what amounts to a completely pointless plot and lukewarm ending. By my non-scientific tally, there are approximately 4 seconds of levity in the whole two hours.

It's not a boring film, it's just one that leaves you wondering why you spent the money when you could have watched something better.

PostPosted: 02-01-2012 11:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

the descendants? you must've really wanted to get into that lass's drawers.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 02-01-2012 02:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Dude you have no idea how many bad movies I've seen to accommodate people with horrible tastes.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-02-2012 12:20 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

4days wrote:
you hadn't seen blade runner before? that can't be right.

I am afraid that was indeed the case.

He's Super
He's Super
PostPosted: 02-02-2012 09:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

4days wrote:
you hadn't seen blade runner before? that can't be right. someone should've warned you that it's a pretty slow-paced detective story rather than adrenalin-soaked action horror sci-fi.

Stay away from Star Wars. It's a kids film about rescuing a princess from the evil lord.

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 02-02-2012 09:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

it actually is though

PostPosted: 02-02-2012 10:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

have made a few folks watch blade runner and all but one (who turned out to hate scifi in general) liked it. personally i think the opening scenes (any version) are enough of a clue as to the pacing, but have always introduced it as a scifi remake of the big sleep - which is more or less what it is. fucking love that movie, must not start rambling.

Noel Fielding's Luxury Comedy Vehicle - 2/10
not a movie, but not deserving of a thread either. avoid, even if you're a boosh fan - especially if you're a boosh fan.

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 02-02-2012 02:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I still haven't seen Blade Runner. Perhaps I should ..

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 02-02-2012 02:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

U4EA wrote:
I still haven't seen Blade Runner. Perhaps I should ..

Yeah me either, it's supposed to be a classic so I've been meaning to watch it, but still haven't gotten around to it yet.

Last movie I watched? The Manchurian Candidate, which I followed up with the first two episodes of Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 02-02-2012 07:08 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think the reason a lot of people haven't seen it (including myself, although its sitting on my table in a Netflix envelope) is because it's never on cable TV. Most older movies like that are played over and over, but I can't remember ever seeing it on cable...

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 02-02-2012 07:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xer0s wrote:
I think the reason a lot of people haven't seen it (including myself, although its sitting on my table in a Netflix envelope) is because it's never on cable TV. Most older movies like that are played over and over, but I can't remember ever seeing it on cable...

Yeah that's interesting, I've never seen it on TV. Yet they play Star Wars, Terminator, Alien, and others on TV all the time, I wonder why that is...

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 02-02-2012 08:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Timeline

Quote:
A group of archaeological students become trapped in the past when they go there to retrieve their professor. The group must survive in 14th century France long enough to be rescued.

Quote from here IMDB and not too bad at all, so a good watch.

Billy Connolly :up: played the part well, if quietly :smirk: The other actors did well.
For Billy then 8/10

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 02-02-2012 09:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You don't watch good movies on cable. Everything is cut and and censored to the point that it's unwatchable. Compare watching Aliens on cable to the director's cut - they cut out all the best parts!

Bladerunner has a whole bunch of cuts, some are horrible (the original theatrical version with the voice-over because studio execs thought audiences wouldn't understand it), and I think the best one is the "director's cut", or was it the "final cut"? Reading the book it was loosely based on, "Do Androids Dream of Electric Sheep?" helps add a whole bunch of background info that was only faintly suggested in the movie, like the significance of all the replicant animals. However, the plot between book and movie are very different.

Also, Han Solo meets Admiral Adama... how can it not be awesome?

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 02-02-2012 09:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Enemy of the State

Quote:
A lawyer becomes a target by a corrupt politician and his NSA goons when he accidentally receives key evidence to a serious politically motivated crime
Quote from here IMDB

You have no doubt seen it but I was surprised it was 13 years old :eek:

One word, and that is brilliant .. 9/10

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 02-03-2012 03:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Take Shelter
8/10

Quite a simple story really, dealing with mental illness, but tinged with a little mystery and paranoia. Very good acting, especially by Shannon. Well worth watching.

Moneyball
8/10

Good little biopic and even though I don't give a fuck about Baseball, I enjoyed it a lot.

Feels refreshing to actually watch 2 decent movies in a row.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-03-2012 05:17 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
and I think the best one is the "director's cut", or was it the "final cut"?

The most recent one is the final cut, which was in complete control of Ridley Scott. The director cut was approved by him but wasn't done by himself.

menkent
menkent
PostPosted: 02-03-2012 07:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whiskey 7 wrote:
Timeline

oog. that movie was utter shit. the book was pretty good though.

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 02-04-2012 05:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Grey

It was pretty damn amazing and I loved the ending.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 02-04-2012 07:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

menkent wrote:
Whiskey 7 wrote:
Timeline

oog. that movie was utter shit. the book was pretty good though.

Like I mentioned Billy Connolly earned my points.

@ Memphis. Was it really Smith's first serious role? I will look into that :confused:

Just got back from Tailor Tinker Solder Spy

I did think a bit disjointed initially but then realized it was actually adding to the suspense, and that helped.
Love the sub plots and relationship connections between the people.

I would call it a dark movie and well done. 8/10

Internet is serious business
PostPosted: 02-04-2012 10:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You know you're old when you enjoy TTSS

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 02-04-2012 11:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

feedback wrote:
You know you're old when you enjoy TTSS

Nice feedback. Really nice.

The movie I guess is probably a little complex for the Y generation :smirk:

btw I am not casting nasturtiums # your way as you could be older than I think :olo:

Comments appreciated all the same.

#

PostPosted: 02-05-2012 12:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It was just plodding and unsurprisingly undramatic.

PostPosted: 02-07-2012 11:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Whisperer in Darkness - 7/10
Ultra low-budget, faithful HP Lovecraft adaption that succeeds where others have failed. Never really builds up any suspense, let alone the levels you'd expect (but never get) from a Lovecraft movie - but you can feel the enthusiasm of the cast/crew pouring out of the screen. If you're a Lovecraft fan then it's one to watch, if you're not then it's probably one of the better adaptions to have to sit through.

The Three Musketeers - 2/10
Paul Anderson just gets worse. The action scenes are mostly incoherent, which is a shame because most of the movie is action. The familiar elements of the story are all there, but the characters are all paper thin and you could write a better script by firing fridge magnets from a leaf blower.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 02-07-2012 11:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 02-07-2012 11:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

4days wrote:
The familiar elements of the story are all there, but the characters are all paper thin and you could write a better script by firing fridge magnets from a leaf blower.

:olo:

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 02-10-2012 03:03 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Chronicle: 8/10

I generally dislike found footage films, but this one was really well done. An unexplained MacGuffin, supernatural powers with a dollop of teenage angst. Relatively small budget and mostly unknown actors, who actually did a great a job. Not bad at all.

PostPosted: 02-12-2012 10:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

final destination 5 - 7/10

final destination is the most enduring and likeable franchise to have come out of that early 2000s mainstream horror revival (struggling to think of another one tbh). the only thing they could do to stop it being perfect popcorn material is to somehow kill one of the characters with popcorn. the 5th one falters a little by including a couple of unnecessary scenes with tony todd as some sort of oracle character with mystical knowledge - i preferred the way they explained the villain to viewers in the previous movies by having the main characters work it out for themselves. the soundtrack is also a little overpowering and messes up the fast-paced action scenes by being far too pompous and dramatic.

that said, the 3d is hilarious and a big improvement on part 4. unlike a lot of other folks in hollywood who just make movies in 3d to make them harder to pirate or because they've been drinking the kool-aid TV manufacturers are handing out, the final destination folks understand that it's a gimmick to be abused. there's simple and subtle separation for the most part, but then it's interrupted by lashings of gore and sharp objects flying out of the screen from every angle.

if you've bought a 3d tv because it was 3d, you're a fucking idiot - but if you're visiting someone's who got one and don't want to watch bloody avatar (again, fucking idiot) then grab this from the supermarket on your way over there.

the rum diary - 5/10
felt like there was a character missing, disappointed.

menkent
menkent
PostPosted: 02-12-2012 03:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

4days wrote:
final destination 5 - 7/10
final destination is the most enduring and likeable franchise

this is where I wish I'd stopped reading.

Quote:
the 5th one falters a little by including a couple of unnecessary scenes

like the entire movie?

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 02-12-2012 03:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:olo:

redline
redline
PostPosted: 02-13-2012 08:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Drive - fair. A lot of style, but not enough substance.

Moneyball - awesome.

Margin Call - pretty good.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 02-14-2012 01:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Moon - 8/10

Sam (Sam Rockwell) is two weeks from the end of his 3 year contract as the sole operator of a moon based energy harvesting facility. His only company is an emoticon-faced AI "GERTY" (Kevin Spacey). Though excited to be returning home to his wife and daughter, the emotional toll of 3 years of isolation causes Sam to start hallucinating, seeing other people, and causes an accident that sets off a series of unforeseen events and consequences. Sam finds that he is either going crazy or maybe he hasn't been as alone as he had thought. His difficulties are compounded by corporate greed and GERTY restricting his actions.

The "twist" isn't meant to be much of one as it reveals itself pretty early in the movie. The brilliance of this movie comes with Sam contrasting between being emotionally defiant and reaching the fragile breaking point. He struggles to keep himself sane, and to find a way back home requires personal sacrifice and bravery.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.