Quake3World.com Forums
     General Discussion
        The last movie you saw

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: The last movie you saw

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 02-14-2012 05:05 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Finally watched Blade Runner. 6/10

I dunno. Maybe it was over hyped for me. Maybe if I had seen it 30 years ago, it would have been a 9 or 10. But I just didn't think it was that impressive. And I really wanted it to be. But I did like the aesthetic appeal. Loved the colors and lighting. Just fell a bit flat for me...

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 02-14-2012 05:09 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Chronicle 6/10

This movie could have been so much more...

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 02-14-2012 05:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

no it couldn't.

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 02-14-2012 10:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey obsidian.

Did you see Apollo 18?
Is it of the same quality?

My thanks for the HD Trailer.
I'll be viewing for sure :D

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 02-14-2012 10:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have not seen Apollo 18 (probably not very good).

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 02-15-2012 03:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This looks trippy as fuck and the soundtrack is AMAZING. It'll probably be a shit film, but visually and audio-wise, it ticks all my sweet spots.

Shambolic
Shambolic
PostPosted: 02-15-2012 03:46 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ye gods, it's amazing how much Quake 3 has affected my mind, even after all these years. I initially saw that freeze frame and thought you'd posted a DeFrag video brisk :tard:

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 02-18-2012 11:59 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Rise of the Planet of the Apes 8/10

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 02-19-2012 12:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

50/50 ~8/10

surprisingly well played. it feels like it shouldn't be that good because of Seth Rogen's often callus humor and personality, but it actually gave a sense of reality to each scene.

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 02-19-2012 06:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Memphis wrote:
talking in pussy

:olo:

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 02-21-2012 07:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

In Time.

Don't know what I was thinking.
Well, the premise sounded vaguely interesting: people stop aging at 25, and then have 1 year left on their "life clock".
(How this is biologically brought about is never explained. Nor is the "time-trading" by touching arms bullshit.)
I was hoping for some Children Of Men-like stuff, but seeing how it stars Justin Timberlake, that was a bit naive.
I have nothing against him as a popstar; he obviously has musical talent, but branching out into acting is a mistake. Poor guy can't act for shit.
Same goes for the chick, Amanda Seyfried. Not the musical talent bit, but the not being able to act for shit bit (although incredibly hot).
The whole thing turns into a fairytale, where they actually achieve to "beat the system", which is as unbelievable as said system.
Again, this premise could have been so much more, but now has been deduced to poppy mediocrity.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 02-21-2012 07:27 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
Moon - 8/10

Sam (Sam Rockwell) is two weeks from the end of his 3 year contract as the sole operator of a moon based energy harvesting facility. His only company is an emoticon-faced AI "GERTY" (Kevin Spacey). Though excited to be returning home to his wife and daughter, the emotional toll of 3 years of isolation causes Sam to start hallucinating, seeing other people, and causes an accident that sets off a series of unforeseen events and consequences. Sam finds that he is either going crazy or maybe he hasn't been as alone as he had thought. His difficulties are compounded by corporate greed and GERTY restricting his actions.

The "twist" isn't meant to be much of one as it reveals itself pretty early in the movie. The brilliance of this movie comes with Sam contrasting between being emotionally defiant and reaching the fragile breaking point. He struggles to keep himself sane, and to find a way back home requires personal sacrifice and bravery.

my brother told me about this movie after he had seen it in the cinema. It sounded very interesting but I totally forgot about it until you made this post.
Watched it last night. Excellent movie, Sam Rockwell pulls this off very nicely.
I expected GERTY to be a bit more antagonistic though, they couldve almost made this movie without his presence.

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 02-21-2012 08:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Moon is a pretty deep movie.
Gonna give it a rewatch tomorrow.

puzl
puzl
PostPosted: 02-21-2012 08:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The director Duncan Jones is a nice guy too. He's a complete net nerd, always on twitter posting interesting stuff. You can tell he spent all his daddies pocket money growing up, living in a complete geek nirvana of toys and video games. He even made a thread on IMDB after Moon came out, thanking everyone for watching it.

Source Code is pretty good too, though it should have ended on that freeze frame. Those who have seen it will know what i'm talking about.

opa!
opa!
PostPosted: 02-21-2012 12:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I used to hate Sam Rockwell as an actor, and by my own arrogance, as a person, so I was going into this movie already totally disappointed.
Well, long story short , his performance in this instantly changed my mind about him...now that's a pretty strong performance :up:

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 02-21-2012 02:55 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I loved him in Confessions of a Dangerous Mind and thought he was funny as hell in Hitchhiker's Guide. I'll have to check out Moon...

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 02-21-2012 04:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Rockwell was awesome in The Green Mile and scene-stealing hilarious in Galaxy Quest.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 02-22-2012 12:24 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

haha yes
lets get out of here before one of those things kills Guy :olo:

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 02-22-2012 01:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Gawd, i forgot almost everything about that movie except for the fact that it was funny... need to see again :)

Just another Earthling
Just another Earthling
PostPosted: 02-22-2012 02:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Galaxy Quest, yes awesome :up:

4days Joined: 15 Apr 2002
PostPosted: 02-25-2012 11:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

drive - 6/10
slow-paced stylish chick flick with gay music and occasional extreme violence. needed more driving.

underworld whatever the subtitle is - 2/10
kate beckinsdale is nice to look at, entirely forgettable otherwise.

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 02-25-2012 11:31 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cowboys and Aliens 5/10

I had high hopes, but.....wut?

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 02-28-2012 07:01 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Homeland 8/10

I just finished season one. Awesome show! Carrie going manic was great. :up:

4days Joined: 15 Apr 2002
PostPosted: 02-29-2012 02:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

A review instead of a movie, red letter media on the crystal skull:

http://redlettermedia.com/plinkett/indi ... stal-skull

Glayven?
Glayven?
PostPosted: 03-03-2012 07:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Super = 6/10 - Surprisingly violent, even for a black comedy. lol Ellen Page is a crazy rapist.

Girl With The Dragon Tattoo = 5/10 - Meh. Another film with another rape scene. I guess screenwriters and directors are bored these days.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 03-03-2012 11:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Grey: 7/10 - Not the most original movie ever, but very compelling and genuinely frightening. I almost had a few heart attacks whenever the dogs came out, sometimes it was a little predictable though.

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 03-04-2012 07:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Take Shelter: 8/10

Michael Shannon plays the lead.
You know him as the awkward, self loathing Agent Van Alden in Boardwalk Empire.
That's how I came across this movie in the first place; by imdb-ing him.

Deals with one of my favorite movie subjects: insanity, or rather the ambivalence about whether someone is indeed insane, or if their conceptions are in fact based on reality.
(Jacob's Ladder, Black Swan, American Psycho, etc.)

The movie is pretty long and slow, and some will find it boring, maybe.
Not me, though. Michael Shannon's performance is excellent, and with BE and this, he's definitely one of my fave actors.

menkent
menkent
PostPosted: 03-04-2012 09:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

GONNAFISTYA wrote:
Girl With The Dragon Tattoo = 5/10 - Meh. Another film with another rape scene. I guess screenwriters and directors are bored these days.

Yeah, totally. TOO BAD IT'S AN ADAPTATION OF A NOVEL. the whole thing is about "men who hate women." what were they supposed to do, leave out the parts where the men commit acts of hatred toward women to be more original? :tard:

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 03-08-2012 01:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Incendies 8/10

French film (or is it Canadian) about two siblings each receiving a letter from their departed mother, telling one to find their father that they never knew, the other to find their brother they never knew they had. The mindfuck at the end of the film is well worth it, the fact that you slowly see it coming only adds to the feeling of 'oh god no!'. Well worth seeing :up:

no homo
no homo
PostPosted: 03-08-2012 04:38 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ryoki wrote:
Incendies 8/10

French film (or is it Canadian) about two siblings each receiving a letter from their departed mother, telling one to find their father that they never knew, the other to find their brother they never knew they had. The mindfuck at the end of the film is well worth it, the fact that you slowly see it coming only adds to the feeling of 'oh god no!'. Well worth seeing :up:

Saw this in the cinema. Great movie.

i liek boobies
i liek boobies
PostPosted: 03-08-2012 05:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ryoki wrote:
The mindfuck at the end of the film is well worth it, the fact that you slowly see it coming only adds to the feeling of 'oh god no!'.

Spoiler? Or would it not affect a virgin viewing of this film?

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 03-08-2012 05:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nah, i feel i phrased that quite spoiler-free. The fact that something big is coming is clear from the very start... but i shall not say what it is exactly!

Karot!
Karot!
PostPosted: 03-12-2012 12:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Shame 6/10

About a sex addict that is struggling with personal relationships with people. It didn't really work though. Fassbinder is a really good actor and it clearly wasn't his fault the whole thing fell a bit flat, i blame the director for making certain choices.

On a sidenote, I've never really understood sex addiction to be a problem in the sense that a substance or a gambling addiction is a problem. These people often work hard at their fake jobs and tans because it really helps to have this aura of successfulness if you're going to sleep with a lot of people. Seems like one of the better addictions to have to be honest, it's hardly destructive...

Digital Nausea
Digital Nausea
PostPosted: 03-12-2012 05:34 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Neverending Story 8/10

Watch this for the nostalgia. Great memories of this flick. :up:

menkent
menkent
PostPosted: 03-12-2012 05:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hanna - 4/10 - honestly, it's a shitty movie. there's barely a plot and some highly questionable acting and a pitifully fake southern accent from Cate Blanchett. about 50% of the movie devolves into Chemical Brothers videos of the girl running around. if you want a little girl flipping out like a ninja, just watch Kick-Ass again.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | General Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.