Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Max map size?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Max map size?

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 02-06-2006 02:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Over in a Q3 trickjumping forum there is a discussion about the maximum practical velocity of a player (without cheating: changing g_speed, using /noclip or using a wallbug).

So their question is: what is the maximum ups (units per second).
It's an interesting problem, taking into account the Q3 physics (apparently, strafing doesn't gain speed indefinately, I don't know why though).
Another problem is the map size... I tried to search for it in this forum and another mapping forum but couldn't find anything about it (because in the thread, opinions about this are divided: some say there is a limit but opinions about what limit it is are not unanymous, someone else says there is no limit...).

There are a few numbers that pop up in this thread, some of which I've got no idea where they get them from:

Quote:
approximately 413000 u/s is the maximal speed reachable by strafing. well but it'll take time to reach

Quote:
IIRC the maximum size of a map is 131072^3 units.
Diagonal (xy) distance: ~185ku
speed = distance / time
For maximizing the speed we must increase the distance and/or decrease the time.
max distance: ~185ku
min time: 1s / fps
~185ku / (1s/125) = ~23,17Mu/s

I can follow the math, but is this really the max map size limit?

And then... it is said to be not correct:

Quote:
yeah there are limits like the size of the map but that is not evaluable.
Saying there are no (speed) limits is just wrong because the limit is there, standing solid, waiting to be easily calculated.

So the main question (for me) is: is there a size limit or not... I thought it was 65536^3 but maybe there is a way to change the "box room's" coordinates by editing the .map file? And in 1 of the quotes above, the size is thought to be 131072 in each direction...

Then there is this quote which doesn't make sense to me:

Quote:
anyway actually limits of a map are much larger than this, you can have a map with nothing in it for example.

there is no real limit to the size of a map in q3, it can be -10^38 to 10^38 in size, which doesn't interfere with speed anyway. besides it'd take you aeons to cross it.

An empty map...?
I'm confused about a lot of these statements (I don't have any code knowledge), I only made a few maps but I don't know what to imagine from an empty map.

Can anyone shed some light on this matter?

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 02-06-2006 02:29 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

In Q3 its -128,000 to 128,000

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 02-06-2006 02:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

the size is limited. 131072^3 units is correct (65536 positive, 65536 negative in each direction)
thats for q3 > 1.27 IIRC. older versions (without team arena stuff) have max 16384^3 units (again IIRC) - and it might have been only an editor limit. dunno.

edit: for clarification: http://www.chaosquake.de/files/temp/gridsize.png

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 02-06-2006 04:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

spookmineer wrote:
(apparently, strafing doesn't gain speed indefinately, I don't know why though)

The faster you go, the smaller the acceleration angle you can move your mouse into to keep accelerating (for a speed gain that gets smaller and smaller as well I think).
So it gets virtually impossible for a human to move the mouse efficiently.

(that's about it in a nutshell, from what cgaz told me some time ago)

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 02-06-2006 05:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yea from strafing in defrag that makes sense... I tried reading this article http://www.funender.com/quake/info/strafing_theory.htm but I got lost halfway.

You can go about it in two ways: cgaz (if it was a guess, you guessed correctly ;) ) says there is no map limit, and then the code comes into play, with the explanation you give there has to be a limit to the speed (what speed it is and how to get it...).
If however there is a map limit, then the speed is dictated by the biggest distance you can travel (in a 131072^3 box, from bottom left front to upper right back) in 1 frame (in defrag's case, 1/125 second).

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.