Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Q3shw21: Destroyer - FINAL

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Q3shw21: Destroyer - FINAL

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 01-08-2008 06:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hello everyone :).
I would like to present you first beta release of my new quake 3 map. Maybe some of you know me (my nick is ShadoW, but I had to use ShadoW_86, because first one was already taken), I made few maps for quake during last years, if not, here you can find some of em: Click

Anyway: Q3shw21: Destroyer is 1v1 Cpma (of course vq3 is also playable:)) map. It's first beta, so there is still work to do :). Map is little dark, so lightning is for correction, some technical issues, and item placement. So I'm awaitng some feedback, what you think about this level.

You can grab fresh, second version of Destroyer. It’s beta number 2, and here’s what is most important:

-Completely rebuilded lightning. Map is not so dark enymore.
-Some brush/textures fixes.
-Few improvement of bots gameplay
-Addictional clip brushes
-few additional clip brushes
-some small lighning changes (like slightly brightened sky)
-Now it's possible to double jump for upper RL
-corrected teleport shader

FINAL RELEASE - it's done :)

DOWNLOAD Q3shw21

Last edited by ShadoW_86 on 03-28-2008 05:54 AM, edited 5 times in total.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 01-08-2008 11:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey Shadow good job!!!!!!! The first look is awesome and their gameplay can't be bad ;)

I go to play it tonight and if have a bit free time and find some error or some that can be to improve i report to u it.

See u!

\kill
\kill
PostPosted: 01-08-2008 12:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Damn! Quite Impressive(as usual). It looks great..actually on the list of the best maps that I've seen for quite some time. The layout is totally original, and very attractive. Some ownage >:D
At first after looking through the map I saw the drops(which are nice looking also), and figured the bots would be falling into them over and over, but not once did they fall...very nice...I only popped in 2 other bots with me..so I'm not sure it that would cause it to happen with more of them.
I like how you can walk on parts of the top of the map(with grapple to get up). Those textures are great..kind of makes it feel Q4'ish.
I think you near doing more maps than Swelt? I think this map would be another good choice for being a Cpm Mappack map. It is really good for vQ3 for the mostpart though. I'd offer some help for errors, but it looks good to me..can't wait to see what it looks like after you finish the lighting up.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 01-08-2008 01:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks! To be honest - bot gameplay is one of things I'm definetely not proud of :). It's one of main issues to correct.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 01-11-2008 11:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just updated map to version beta 2. Check out first post.

\kill
\kill
PostPosted: 01-11-2008 01:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Much better..looks good to me. I'm really liking this map. I've been playing it with promode enabled, which has made some of the layout make some more sense to me. There was a bit of tough r_speeds in spots, like the walkway above the MH, but I figure it's probably because it is more wide open/curved than the rest of the map. Looks good though!

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 01-11-2008 02:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Haven't downloaded yet, but only suggestion from the screenshots is to add a bit of red fog into the deep lava pit (I'm assuming it's a pit-o-death).

Looks fantastic otherwise and I'll give it a go later for some more gameplay feedback.

blaze a blaze
blaze a blaze
PostPosted: 01-12-2008 06:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I like how the map looks, I'm not an enthusiast of it's gameplay. My only concern about the visual part of the level is that it's still too dark - teleporters are barely visible. IIRC some q3map2 switches could help you with this (-gamma 4 and -compensate 4). Also, I second what obsidian said about the fog.

Gameplay issues:
1) Lower RL is in a death corner, the upper one seems to be unreachable without a tricks. That's annoying.
2) A lot of items, including both armors, are placed in the middle of the hallways. That might be a question of each mapper style but I do think that the key items should have their own separated space. That makes the gameplay less "incidental".
3) Somehow I couldn't catch the flow of the level. While the bumpy "organic" holes look nice they totally pointless when it cames to gameplay. I think about these part of the level where you have to jump down to get to the jumppad or the teleporter, and once you're down you can't go back to your previous route.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 01-12-2008 07:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'll try to bright the map liitle more with next beta (but to be honest I like it the way it's now :))

About those RL:
Quote:
Lower RA is a death corner
- this map is for CPMA, with it, it's no problem to jump out.
Quote:
upper one seems to be unreachable without a tricks
- when you go into teleport near SG, you walk straight to this RL.
Armors:
hmm, I know what you have in mind. But as you can see: we have 3 important items - YA,RA,MH. Each one in its own map section. Wanted to make two strong sides (RA and MH), and middle battlegroud (YA). So it's not that we take items by accident, at least I think so :).You actually must go for specific section of map to gest item - all gameplay is builded on route from on side to other.

Holes:
Look at funcionality of this holes. You jump there for reason (tele or jp) and I do not see any reason to go back once you there. And these 'holes' aren't big. You are not going further to other section of maps. You just jumping there, and being teleported, or pushed up. And as I mentioned previous, it's CPMA map, so there is possible to jump out :).

Of course I'm open to any sugestions, so I think about everything you wrote (lava fog too :)).

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 02-18-2008 10:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just updated map to beta 3 version (see first post)

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 02-18-2008 06:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Visually, it's very impressive. Nice texture work, lots of detail in the brushwork, has somewhat of a old-school Q3 look to it.

Your clipping job seems really off. In some parts you seem to clip too much and it feels like I should be able to jump or hide behind certain things but can't, other parts seem to not have enough clipping and I snag on things or end up hiding in really dark nooks.

Teleporters are too dark, need to add some additive blend effects to make them pop out.

Weapon placement seems pretty random. I don't like ammo boxes placed in clumps like that and some ammo right next to the same gun... gives it that sort of UT weapon/ammo camping experience that I'm not fond of.

I agree with Lukin about the flow, the map feels like one giant S-curve but kind of a dead end on both ends of the S. You have to rely on the teleporters to get around which are a little disorienting.

Overall, it's a bit dark. If it looked like it does in your screenshot, it would be fine, but it's quite a bit darker than that.

\kill
\kill
PostPosted: 02-19-2008 05:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@Obsidian..over at the Promode Forums iX and Poub recommended that he clip it up better since the map is more aimed at for promode play for fast movement. I could of had it be like it was and not have any problems, but some people like it that way I guess.
--
I like the step to double jump up to the RL in front of the tele..very nice... it's alot easier than messing with the stairway to get up there. The puddle behind the MH platform will be better for botplay than the drop..though I really liked the look of the way it was before(don't matter because I'll be hanging onto beta2 anyways :D )
The only thing that I've really thought that would be nice, is if you put a little step that comes out of the wall above the big lava pit. The reason is...to make the jump over that huge drop you have to be moving at a full momentum enough to be bunnyhopping with three touch downs to make it over it. There are times when making the like persay grabbing the MH and deciding to jump over the LG there isn't enough room to get enough speed to make the jump. Now..if you put a little step coming out of the wall(at a halfway point)you could make two strafe jumps to make it over it. It would help the connectivity also. Minded, bots wouldn't be able to do it..but it wouldn't really matter imo.
I really like this map also!!

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 02-20-2008 08:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'll make something with those teleports (light it up little).
Removed this terrain model (around MH), because it was fps eating. Couldn't get any good result with making similiar low poly model in Blender, so I have abandoned this shape idea.
I was thinking about adding something to help with jumping over lava :). Though rather about some 'destroyed/damaged bridge', but simple few blocks maybe will be enough :). We will see.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 03-11-2008 10:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Beta 4 ready for dl, look in the first post :)

\kill
\kill
PostPosted: 03-13-2008 09:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks for adding the bridge..it looks nice also. I'd say the map looks good to go for the mostpart. It does feel kind of bright to me though..as I know alot of promoders like a map that way, nothing that r_gamma can't fix up for me anyways so no biggie.
The bots do get caught on one of the bouncepads..can't remember which one it was though. Looks good though.

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 03-13-2008 10:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lol too dark, too bright. ffs. shadow, you should have left it how YOU like it.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 03-13-2008 11:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

heh :)

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 03-22-2008 02:06 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Coming along very nicely Shadow :)

Makes me want to start mapping again.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 03-28-2008 05:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Topic can be closed. I've released final version of this map, chech out first post :).

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.