Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Forcefields

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Forcefields

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 03-26-2011 07:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Okay, I'm wondering how to make forcefields, I mean transparent-ish entities that certain things (like func_trains) can pass, but the play cannot. I've made a block where I want the forcefield and assigned it with "func_forcefield", however in-game it uses the same texture as in the editor. I'm wondering...

1) Do I need a forcefield texture and if so, where can I find a good one?

2) Do I need to manually (through the entity window) animate it?

3) Is there any other questions that need answering that I don't know...yet?

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 03-27-2011 07:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This is a pickup item in EF, but I think you could use a playerclip with another shader.
IIRC the "stasis" texture set has some nice shaders. You could make a new "forcefield" shader by using the playerclip shader and the animated texture from a stasis shader.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 03-27-2011 07:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I don't think many people here map for Elite Force, so you may not get an answer to your questions. I don't know how func_forcefield works but you may see a description in the entity inspector. I assume it needs a shader script on the brush, perhaps playerclip will work just as well.

You might want to ask at a ST:EF specific forum like here (I think you have to register before you can view all the posts - see the announcements post):
http://forums.filefront.com/star-trek-e ... series-73/

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 03-27-2011 01:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There still is a (small) EF community here. Some are still mapping (I think) or have done so in the past.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 03-28-2011 01:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, I got the kind of effect I wanted (I used the forge/energyor as my forcefield and it's transparent :)). Apparently it also lets the player through, so I used a clip texture in the same place as the forcefield texture (two different brushes) to prevent passing the "forcefield". Thanks for the help anyway, and I'll definitely check out these EF communities :).

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 03-28-2011 01:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Forgot to answer how I got it (oops :D). I did some more research and found a neat way to make forcefields (make a brush and texture all none-seen sides with no-draw) and texture the remaining side with a texture that has a "forcefield" shader (I'm not sure if mine has a forcefield shader, but it does animate :)).

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 03-30-2011 12:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

pics please

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.