Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        missing items

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: missing items

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 03-17-2011 06:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oooooooooooook, I hate to bother you guys again in such short notice, but I noticed when I was going to place an item to test something in-game that some of the items in my GTKRadiant are missing, specifically those related to the items section, the ammo section (for the EF weaponry), and holdable section. These are right-click menu items. Am I missing a file or have a file that's incomplete? If so, do you know which one(s) and where I can download them?

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 03-17-2011 09:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What version of GtkRadiant?

Did you download and install the gamepacks for EF?

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 03-18-2011 07:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm using 1.5.0, and gamepack?? I never knew of any gamepack. I know I had a problem with textures in the past and had to download an updated file called "stvef.game". Is that what you're talking about?

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 03-18-2011 07:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No, the gamepacks as in the one in the FAQ's that I already linked to you here for your other question. You should probably read the whole page as well as the other resources on the sub-site.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 03-18-2011 11:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

oooooook, I downloaded a gamepack for EF, installed it, and now I get a fatal error on gtkRadiant load (which I discovered is ACTUALLY 1.4, not 1.5), which goes something along the lines of, "unable to load "textures/radiant/notex". I'm currently downloading and going to re-install 1.4 (I recall installing support for EF, so I don't think support is the problem, as I have EF specific entities, like specific weaponry), so I'm hoping re-installing gtkradiant will alleviate the prob (and make a backup of my map to save for re-installation).

Here's hoping :)

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 03-18-2011 12:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Then read the section about GtkRadiant 1.4. It tells you specifically that there are different packages of GtkRadiant 1.4 for different games. If you're using a Q3 install of GtkR, it won't have the right SDK files for EF. Make sure you get the right one.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 03-18-2011 12:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

okay, again, good news and bad:

GOOD: my radiant is semi-functional and I have the missing items

BAD: I have duplicate items (like func_train and such), probably caused by having duplicate pk3's. Also, my train has vanished (might need re-setup), my old trigger_hurt isn't functioning correctly (at dmg 15, it hurts 1/frame), and my in-game textures have shrunk (by about a third). everything else seems functional (my trigger_pushes work). Is there something I've done in the re-installation that has somewhat messed up the radiant, and how can I fix my dilemma?

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 03-19-2011 02:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You could try to delete the entities.def files (or one if you have two) from the baseq3/scripts folder and copy/paste it again from the pak0.pk3, do the same with the common.shader file.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 03-19-2011 08:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hmmm...I couldn't find any entities.def files in my pak0, but I found common.shader, so I at least deleted and copy-pasted it. However, after some experimentation, I have noticed that not only do my triggers and dmg's do 1 damage, all WEAPONS do 1 damage as well (a powerful splash damage weapon that should do about 60 damage when it hits next to you does 1 damage). Also, I've taken some snippets from my compiler that I found to be odd, just in case they are wrong, and they SHOULD appear below.

Code:
Loading D:/Program Files (x86)/Raven/Star Trek Voyager Elite Force/baseEF/maps/D_D_D_D_map.map
entering D:/Program Files (x86)/Raven/Star Trek Voyager Elite Force/baseEF/maps/D_D_D_D_map.map
WARNING: Couldn't find image for shader textures/common/caulk
WARNING: Couldn't find image for shader textures/borg/basemetal1b
WARNING: Couldn't find image for shader textures/borg/basemetal4
WARNING: Couldn't find image for shader textures/borg/big_vinc
WARNING: Couldn't find image for shader textures/borg/basemetal
WARNING: Couldn't find image for shader textures/borg/wall1b
WARNING: Couldn't find image for shader textures/borg/floor4
WARNING: Couldn't find image for shader textures/common/trigger
WARNING: Couldn't find image for shader textures/common/origin
       69 total world brushes
        0 detail brushes
        0 patches
        5 boxbevels...

...block size = { 1024 1024 1024 }
BSP bounds: { -120.000000 -288.000000 -24.000000 } { 712.000000 560.000000 584.000000 }
Lightgrid bounds: { 99999.000000 99999.000000 99999.000000 } { -99999.000000 -99999.000000 -99999.000000 }
--- PatchMapDrawSurfs ---
--- FaceBSP ---

Also, I have two different entity files: hm_entities.def, and sp_entites.def. I placed hm_entities in my folder and I now have no duplicate items AND the missing items. The other, along with hm_entities, is in a separate folder for safekeeping. If you want I can upload the entire comiler (but that's a LONG compiler file since I do BSP and lighting which in turn also has a lot of other commands :disgust:)

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 03-20-2011 12:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I can't win with Gtk. I changed the directory of Gtk in hopes that it would see my entity files, and that worked. However I now have MOST items, and the only things I'm missing are SOME items from the "item" section. It appears that it sees the entities but, after some file exchange, it doesn't read "hm_entities.ref", but DOES read "sp_entities.ref" and, the newly acquired (which also appears to have the items) "rpgx_entities.ref". Is rpgx_entities messing up my entity list?

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 03-20-2011 05:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You've really messed up somewhere and I don't know how to fix it other than to back up your maps, uninstall everything, delete any left over files, and start from scratch. You've overwritten too many files and have duplicates of others for some reason.

Normally, you would install EF, then install GtkRadiant 1.4 (make sure it's the EF version) and then point Radiant to your EF install location. IF AND ONLY IF you are using GtkRadiant 1.5, do you also need to install the gamepack for EF.

You WILL have two different entities files, EF has a set of entities for single player and another for multiplayer. I assume the one marked "sp" is single player, but it will only read one at a time depending on your project file (File > Project Settings). You would normally direct Radiant to look in one of two mod directories for either SP or MP.

So your directory structure for EF should look something like:

C:\games\stef\base\ (singleplayer)
C:\games\stef\mp\ (multiplayer)

Note: I don't have EF and never played it so it won't look exactly like that, but that's the way it and other games like RTCW work.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 03-21-2011 05:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

figured as much :tear:. oh well, I guess I can either re-install everything or just stop mapping for EF altogether (except RPG-X which I have all the necessary items for). Darn

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 03-22-2011 05:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

YAAAAAY! I did an un-install and re-install, but not a traditional re-install. my bro has an external hard-drive that had a copy of EF on it for when his computer got a virus :disgust:. However I now have gtkradiant 1.5 now working and I appear to, after inspection, have EVERYTHING (but textures, who knows, I have the basics, like common, among many custom ones from before). It also has an added bonus of supplying me with a map I thought I had lost with the re-boot my bro had to do, but it's here and functional (it's a WIP, but better than nothing :))

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 03-23-2011 01:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
You WILL have two different entities files, EF has a set of entities for single player and another for multiplayer. I assume the one marked "sp" is single player, but it will only read one at a time depending on your project file (File > Project Settings). You would normally direct Radiant to look in one of two mod directories for either SP or MP.

Many EF mappers had issues with this.
There are 2 entities files, for some reason GTK (the 1.4 version for EF) only reads sp_entities.def.
If you want to map for multiplayer, keep the sp_ file somewhere safe and rename "hm_entities.def" to "sp_entities.def".

@Derr1: Glad you got it working now :D

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.