Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        LD 20 Brush Contest (Posts and Questions Thread)

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: LD 20 Brush Contest (Posts and Questions Thread)

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-06-2010 12:08 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Uh, on the shadow thing... since we can paint lightmaps with q3map2 anyway, why would you want to take the long and hard route by using invisible brushes for that?

Also, to me it sounds like you're trying to project a shadow on there somewhere. Why not simply paint a shadow in a pre-existing texture? I mean, there's no limit to the number of textures is there?

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 12-06-2010 12:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Of course, there is no limit in texture using, but there is limit in polygons/brushes. But nevermind I solved it out :)

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 12-06-2010 09:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What's the point of...
1) Max 32 surfaces per brush
2) No custom sounds allowed

...?

clueless
clueless
PostPosted: 12-06-2010 11:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think the point of 1) is that you can merge many brushes and thus create a single brush with many surfaces easily in Unreal. Dunno about 2).

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 12-06-2010 11:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mhm, but there seems to be seperate rules for Q3 and UT (http://www.leveldesign.nl/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=86).

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 12-07-2010 06:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

neoplan wrote:
What's the point of...
1) Max 32 surfaces per brush
2) No custom sounds allowed

...?

1) Is a restriction to keep things manageable for us.
2) It keeps things tidy. Preferably we wanted to restrict custom textures as well but there was too much opposition to that idea.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 12-12-2010 12:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's getting kind of close to the submission date. Does anyone wanna show screenshots of works in progress or would that violate the rules? (can I show screenshots?)

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 12-12-2010 02:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

VolumetricSteve wrote:
It's getting kind of close to the submission date. Does anyone wanna show screenshots of works in progress or would that violate the rules? (can I show screenshots?)

There is a work in progress thread right here. Feel free to reply. Or you can just post here. Whatever you want :D

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 12-12-2010 04:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I don't have an account over in them there parts just yet, so for laziness sake, I'll just post a few here. Prepare to get oranged in the orange. Thanks, AEon.

*updated screenshots moved to a new post to ensure freshness*

Last edited by VolumetricSteve on 12-13-2010 07:14 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 12-13-2010 08:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, orange is the new blue! :D

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 12-13-2010 09:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Is that a 20 brush gauntlet-only duel map, sst13?

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 12-13-2010 11:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 12-13-2010 11:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Very, very nice. All of my efforts have focused on trying different layouts and virtually totally disregarding the use of textures (except orange)...I've put a lot of thought into trying to get the most....game-play surface out of 20 brushes while still being something that people of all skill levels can enjoy. Someday I wanna learn more about making custom textures, because the stuff in those screenshots looks fantastic.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 12-13-2010 11:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@spirit_: Yes you're right!

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 12-13-2010 02:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

We are now accepting submissions. You can post them here. The screenshots look promosing so far!

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 12-13-2010 07:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I play tested my level a bit...and basicially came to the conclusion that it was just..the embodiment of chaos, which made it feel too much like serious sam...and.....it got repetitive really fast....to be fair, there was non-stop action, but there was no strategy either. ....unless your strategy is "kill faster" SO I moved some things around, put in some provisions to ensure people can't camp...took out the spawn points that are more privileged and tinkered with the lighting and weapon placement a LOT.

Also, I don't quite understand this:
"
Game:
Map name:
Game type:
File name:
Author:
Download link:
Screenshot [640*480 in size]. No URLS.
"

where it says No URLS. how else are we supposed to handle the screenshot?

I'm also not sure about this part of the rules:

"- Place all weapons and game type specific entities where they should be. All submissions should be fully functional in their specified gametype(s)"

Does this mean our map has to work in all game types? Mine is only for FFA...I could add in CTF and other things in there, but...they wouldn't make any sense given the layout.

New screenshots:

The first three are too big for the forum, the last 3 auto-resized nicely.

http://sirventolin.webs.com/boozeyjones1.jpg
http://sirventolin.webs.com/boozeyjones4.jpg
http://sirventolin.webs.com/boozeyjones5.jpg

Last edited by VolumetricSteve on 12-18-2010 08:45 PM, edited 1 time in total.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 12-13-2010 09:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Your supposed to use the [img] tags so that the screenshots show up in the topic itself. Hence the 640*480 rule. No URLS means no text linking to the screenshots.

It says:

Quote:
in their specified gametype

Which in your case means it has to be fully functional in FFA.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 12-15-2010 11:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Only four maps yet? Hmmm :)

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 12-16-2010 07:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well let's assume it's just starting slow :)

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 12-16-2010 08:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm still trying to work through some light mapping issues but I might not make it in time, I do have a release candidate though, so when it comes time (the 18th at some point perhaps) I might just end up submitting that.

*edit

oh, awesome, got home just in time to find the 20 brush thread locked. Well...my map is ready to be downloaded at the following link, if it's just too late...it's too late...and...oh well.

(all of the stuff I can't post in the leveldesign.nl forum)

Game:Quake 3 Arena
Map name: BoozeyJones
Game type: FFA
File name: BoozeyJones.pk3 (wrapped up inside a generated filename)
Author: VolumetricSteve
Download link: http://www.nippyzip.com/uploads/101218112648-89078.zip
Screenshot:

Figured I might as well post this somewhere... Also, thanks to AEon for providing the textures that allowed me to even attempt this - without you, my map couldn't possibly have been this orange. (Using AEon's Texture Pack Beta 2)

Good luck to all of the other maps though, the things I saw in the official submission thread looked amazing.

Last edited by VolumetricSteve on 12-18-2010 09:06 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 12-18-2010 08:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Shameless bump to see if judges will accept my map? *puppy dog eyes*

(sorry to self-bump, I just edited my last post and realized that wouldn't draw any attention to the thread)

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 12-19-2010 07:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sorry, I missed this. I don't see a problem in accepting this entry since many people started before this contest was officially announced anyway :)

I'll add it to the thread when I come home from work tonight.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 12-19-2010 08:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

WOOHOO!

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 12-27-2010 10:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The results are in. Click here.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 12-27-2010 11:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

VolumetricSteve - Boozeyjones - 52

XD oh poop.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-28-2010 06:20 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sorry to say so, but the creativity in those UT maps looks really poor to what's on offer for Q3. UT3 is lagging behind a bit as well it seems.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 12-30-2010 08:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser - that's because of that stupid editor they must use... And also UT level is simple geometry and detail is always made by models...

And I'm very proud of my 6th position in this competition, but... I regret I must send my good friend Igor (Russian mafia, right hand of their boss) to our judges home because of my very unpleasant 6th position :miffed: :p

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.