Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        I don't know what I broke, but I broke it real good.

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: I don't know what I broke, but I broke it real good.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 01-02-2011 05:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Looking at some of the more downloaded quake 3 maps, and the recent winners of the 20-brush competition, I've been working on my first CTF map based on some....different layouts, the goal being to make a simple CTF map that's challenging and ....appeals to people that aren't me.

I've created a very simple layout so far, 59 brushes actually, a good deal of the map is submerged in slime, and many symetrical brushes are exactly half way "floating" in the slime. So far, I'm just trying to get a BSP compile to test basic layout and bot response in game. It's a big-ish map, but over all it's like 1/16th the size of some of my maps. Everything is built "on the grid" which i've heard helps both q3map2 and bspc.....but this is insane, it's taking upwards of 30 minutes *just* for the bsp phase, and the only switch that's enabled is -meta. I'm....at a loss.

2GHz core duo w/ 2GB of ram (oh, by the way, q3map2 is using as much of my ram right now as it can, my browser is semi-functioning)

It's been going for like...40 minutes now, at least.

What the hell is wrong with this?

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 01-02-2011 05:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hard to say, but that's definitely outside of the normal. Maybe if you post your .map file, someone can take a look and see if it's just your system or maybe something else in your map that you may have overlooked.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 01-02-2011 06:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I had to manually bind a whole crapload of system libraries into netradiant AND q3map2 on my mac to make it work in snow leopard, which means a few things, not the least of which is that this might be the year I fully migrate to linux but...if it's just not in the map, it's in the fact that snow leopard is only detrimental to people who love quake 3.

my map's code:

http://sirventolin.webs.com/iidcayp.map

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 01-02-2011 09:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I deleted the slime and it compiled fine after that. When in doubt, save a copy and delete stuff. You only had 60 brushes, so it's not like it took a long time to figure out. Besides, the slime doesn't seem to have a shader or it has a broken shader, I can't see it on my computer.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 01-02-2011 09:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

weird....why....the slime? my system is showing it as a standard quake 3 slime which I got from the liquids collection. Still seems odd that a missing shader could cause a bsp compile to take forever and gobble up all the available system memory; I'd think it would be one of those things that would either work, or return an error, I've never seen a shader related issue impact the bsp phase this way before (or even heard of it for that matter) Thanks though, I'll see what's up with my mystery slime.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 01-02-2011 09:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Brushes 12, 14, 16 and 22 to 26 have their vertices way off grid (as in, to a precision of 10 decimals), but they aren't the actual problem.
The slime texture you used however is designed to tesselate every 32 grid units. The surfaces you used are 'effing huge for this tesselation. Changing the texture for something without tesselation makes it compile in a few seconds.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 01-02-2011 10:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

OH, OH CRAP, yeah, that'd do it. Thanks for digging that up. Also, if a brush has a higher level of precision in a .map file, if it were an issue, wouldn't q3map2 just read in however many decimal places it needed and disregard the unnecessary precision? The reason a lot of those vertexes ended up so precise is that I was cutting them and rotating them from strange angles; I guess NetRadiant want's to maintain precision as long as it can, so it calculates as much as it can? What kinds of problems can arrise from having overly-precise brushes?

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.