Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Typography Help

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Typography Help

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 12-06-2011 09:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hi, just need your quick opinion... please rate the included three paragraphs by readability, like this:

2 3 1

Meaning you prefer the second paragraph the most and the first the least. Include comments/reasoning if you like.

Thanks.

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 12-06-2011 09:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

3-1-2

I think that the letters are too close/cramped to each other in the second paragraph.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-06-2011 01:43 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

2 1 3
Opposite opinion of dghost (I know that's not very helpful, i'm sorry). Hate the font of p3.
Also, is this meant for screen or print. Requirements are quite different for the two.

Last edited by Eraser on 12-07-2011 11:11 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 12-06-2011 02:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

is this that win7 text display optimization thing? id go 3-2-1

was gonna go the same as eraser, but only because the second paragraph was a bit more bold, but the 3rd is easier on the eye imo..

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 12-06-2011 10:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

2-1-3

1 is too spaced out
2 stands out the most
3 looks blurry

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 12-07-2011 08:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It's for a website and those are 3 different fonts.

Verdana - my old favourite. It's a humanist font designed exclusively for easy screen reading.
Lucida Sans Unicode/Lucida Grande - Not exclusively a screen font, but easily readable and popularized by being the default font on OS X and Apple's website.
Open Sans - designed for screen reading. It's not commonly installed on systems so it has to be loaded using CSS @font-face.

Keep voting please, it's pretty much an even split so far.

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 12-07-2011 08:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

2-3-1

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 12-07-2011 11:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

2-1-3

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 12-07-2011 02:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

2-1-3 @1920 monitor
and 3-1-2 @1024 one )

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 12-07-2011 08:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

3-1-2
based on readability and style, 3 is nice and clear and most resolutions, 2 is a bit squished and seems to crammed and 1 is a nice in between font.

Are these the colors they will be on the site? black with white background?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-07-2011 11:13 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sorry, I changed my vote to 2 -1 - 3.
I made a mistake there.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 12-09-2011 02:25 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
Open Sans - designed for screen reading. It's not commonly installed on systems so it has to be loaded using CSS @font-face.

which is painfully slow for pretty much every browser cept IE (remarkably). not really worth it considering it's basically Verdana.

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 12-09-2011 02:31 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This depends on peoples monitors, which we all have set up differently. Brightness levels, contrast, even things like phase etc play a part. Also, your eye sight means that some people find X better than Y, when Y is actually the better one. So I would poll a bigger set of eyes, or just go with what you feel is best.

Anyway, for me it would be 3-1-2, with 3 being the clearest for me to read, and 2 being quite fuzzy looking and a little too bold (which adds to the fuzzyness because that isnt supposed to be bold).

But again, it all depends on where its used and in what context. Thats a black font on a white background. A white font on a black background is a totally different thing, and colours are even harder to follow. I assume this is for text saved onto an image, and in that case compression will play a huge part into this (Red font on blue background, weeeeeee). Otherwise if this is just for an actual font... Its pointless talking about it, because everybody has different set ups :p

And I just realised I've wrote a books worth of text when I could have just wrote three numbers, so shush, sue me :p

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 12-09-2011 05:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

2-1-3, but I still prefer Verdana, which is one of my favourite fonts and seems reasonably legible for online viewing.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 12-09-2011 11:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

anwulf wins, mainly for still being alive

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 12-21-2011 05:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Anwulf wrote:
2-1-3, but I still prefer Verdana, which is one of my favourite fonts and seems reasonably legible for online viewing.

This.
wattro wrote:
anwulf wins, mainly for still being alive

And this.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.