Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        [BETA] 13circle "Circle Of Death"

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: [BETA] 13circle "Circle Of Death"

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 02-04-2012 11:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Circle Of Death:

A small and very fast CTF arena for 2-4 player per team.
The style and layout is inspired from Doom2 level11 (Circle Of Death aka. O Of Destruction). There are also a lot of Quake2 elements mixed into. Hopefully that it fits together. :D

Screenshots:
Image Image Image Image Image Image Image Image

The center part is very railfriendly. Only in the lower hallway you can find some cover, but to access the flag from there you must pay with a RJ.

Now I'm looking for some general feedback/worship. :D

Download Beta2 (5.4 MB)
PK3: map-13circle_b2.pk3
ZIP: map-13circle_b2.zip

sst13...

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 02-04-2012 12:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

damn dude. those screenshots look awesome. great work on the architecture, texturing, and lighting. i love your style. your style has a real quake feel to it, in between a rusty old q1 look and a solid cut q3 look, with a bit of futuristic parts, yet not going over the top too much. i like the gloomy feel. i like the sky, the pit/fog, etc.

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 02-04-2012 05:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yep, looks awesome. Love the first shot!

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 02-05-2012 03:48 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wow, this map has future... And very nice future...
Keep working up on map and will love next releases...

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 02-06-2012 06:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That is looking absolutely superb sst13!

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 02-06-2012 09:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You always have a knack for making the architecture look elegant but yet simple with the right amount of shapes. (I mean this in a good way) I found the lighting very dark and gloomy and the room under the flag seems to be a dead end? I know you can drop down to the room but it still feels like there should an up route. The flag room feels too limited and extremely defensive, especially if someone escapes below with the flag and their escape options are limited as well.

The base flag texture looks like it is stretched too much vertically and the coloured lighting is too strong. You already have environmental colour coding everywhere, the coloured lighting could be used less. The central area should have more cover/pillars, especially the upper route, unless you want the area to be a railers wet dream. I know you can get some great foot speed in the central area but it still feels like shooting fish in a barrel with the railgun. I liked how I could jump from the lower central platform to the corridor window leading to the room below the flag room but then I had to turn around! :D

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 02-06-2012 09:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Never played ctf. But it looks good, very solid and proportioned brushwork, good lighting.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 02-07-2012 08:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Geo + texturing + lighting are superb on my behalf. It already looks astonishing, although a little sterile, see last point.

1. Item placement: perfect for the flow, as is.
2. Connectivity: as Sock already mentioned, the room under the flag... it's a rewarding route to take. RL, PG, ammo for RL and PG and the YA. But then you're stuck...
I do see the point for your decision, I think, but somehow it's too harsh. As a player I feel betrayed, sort of :). Maybe connect that room to next to where the JP on the lower flagroom is. Not sure though, could be too much for the defense.
3. That said JP looks kind of odd. The 4 unit (?) step is kind of out of place. Just nitpicking. Either sink it into the ground or raise it a little.
4. Environment: Too sterile, I think. It shouts out for some icey/snowy or jungle/forrest setting. Both of them have been done, almost to death. Still, give it that extra touch please. I think the map would benefit.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 02-13-2012 11:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Bumper with a little extra-thought:

The following is the obvious wall of where to crack an opening into to connect it to the lower flagroom:

And I think you should connect it to this site:

The purple area would be the obvious place to have that connection go. But I wouldn't go for it.
Instead, broaden that "pool" and have two narrow openings in the walls that touch the JP, the red areas. Two narrow openings are easier to defend than one broader one, imo. And them would be slightly farther away from the flag. The two openings join again right behind the JP and lead right into stairs going down to the "laundry room" ;), the YA room.
This would probably mean, you'd have to move the left wall (turqouise). All in all not too much of a hassle, I think.

Having ssaid that, if I were defender on that map against humans, I'd probably stay on the top floor by the GL and wouldn't have much clue of what was going on down there.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 12-21-2012 02:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The map is now final!

Download Final Version: (5.8MB)

PK3: http://sst13.net/maps/map-13circle.pk3
ZIP: http://sst13.net/maps/map-13circle.zip

Have fun!

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 02-14-2014 07:26 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

*bump*

Thanks Cityy for the LVL review!

By the way, there's also a secret in the map - and it seems like nobody found it in the past year. :cry:
Ok it's well hidden and hard to activate, hehe.

Challenge to find the fucking secret!

spoiler: You need to search in spectator mode to find a secret item that points to 3 shootable switches and one hidden hatch.
Activate the switches in the shown order to enter the hatch. Some grenade+rocket jumps are definitely required to reach the switches.

First one who finds the secret (without noclip) wins one internet. :D

Theftbot
Theftbot
PostPosted: 02-14-2014 11:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nice Architecture

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 02-19-2014 12:09 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Do not activate the secret, it's a trap :D

I did it using cheats and died :D

Theftbot
Theftbot
PostPosted: 02-19-2014 01:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

bloody flamin skeletons why not

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.