Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        [beta] Door to the chton

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: [beta] Door to the chton

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 12-01-2010 01:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hello

I remake e1m7 on quake3, this map was pretty fun in detahmatch. I got problem on the aas compiling. If someone wants to test it and give me some advices :)
download and screenshots : http://www.hereticmanse.com/level/the-door-to-the-chton
You can also post comment on my website.

I searched quickly but if a topic on the problem of the bots' no-reaction exists I'd like to read it :)

Thanks !

All comments are welcome.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 12-01-2010 03:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quite a nice looking remake, although a little bit of deconstruction might make it look a little more interesting :)
It'd feel a little more like the original with at least the button for the bridge... to me buttons give it that Q1 feel, and it'd make gameplay a little more interesting - and RA more difficult to reach.
I'm not sure about the tele from RA to Quad... seems a little overboard.
As for the bots issue... tried boxing things up with hint brushes? Or adding some item_botroam's?

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 12-01-2010 08:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hi there!

What muffin said, especially the button to bridge.. that was the whole fun part of that map.

For bots, try compiling aas with -forcesidesvisible.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 12-01-2010 11:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

First thanks for comments.
I also make the corridors bigger, and add some features like opening some doors.
I noticed that in q1 the bridge don't return to its primary position.
I think adding the 2 buttons upstairs in order to open the bridge when another player is on it could be fun.

Swift and Deadly
Swift and Deadly
PostPosted: 12-01-2010 01:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Interesting. I haven't played q1 in such a looong time, makes me want to check this out.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 12-02-2010 06:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I updated it on the same link.
>>> Apparently 1 texture is missing, I can't see it on my own computer, if someone can provide me a screen in order to find the texture.
>>> the levelshot will be added on the final version.

Bots perfectly work now :) thanks

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-02-2010 07:03 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sorry for the small size but I guess it's enough for you to see what's up.

There also were two messages/errors while loading the map:

- UNKNOWN_CLASS doesn't have a spawn function <- probably some entity with a wrong classname?
- trying textures/rock/skyrock1_d.TGA... <- probably the missing texture?

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 12-02-2010 11:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ok thanks I add this texture into the pk3 file.
And check the brush(es) to put it in the worldspawn.
There is no error message when I'm loading the map Oo

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 07-14-2012 12:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 07-14-2012 06:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It took me a while to recognize the map, but finally figured it out. The extra side chambers had me confused for a while. Over all the additional chambers are good. Strangely, even though the map feels cramped, I remember the central chamber larger in the original, the map is surprisingly fun. A total fragfest...

Some things you will want to look into though:
  • The water textures in the small fountain and the behind the crates in the same room are full bright in lighting. It needs to be toned down. Is this vertex lighting? Obsidian should be able to help you here. Just something that needs to be fixed in the water's shader.
  • Your bot .AAS is huge. Meaning extremely inefficient, that normally means that AI is dumber as a result. The bots get confused my the map. You should simplify all the detail geometry by covering it in common/clip and common/botclip to help the bots navigate the map better. I.e. the elevator wall with the spiky metal deco needs to be clipped with clip to keep the player from getting stuck under the deco, i.e. the elevator stops going up when that happens.
  • You should learn to use items sparingly. The top level far side of the elevator has far too many 50H (5x IIRC, Health)... two will do. Placing ammo next to a weapon is another thing to avoid. Make the player run about to collect ammo for the weapon. E.g. Rocket Launcher and ammo, and the double-ammo for the Railgun, place the ammo elsewhere.
  • A general tip, make a copy of your quake 3 folder and name it quake3clean... then remove everything (extra textures, models, scripts etc.), only keep the files that a normal install comes with. This clean install folder is where you put your map's pk3 file for testing. That way you know if files e.g. textures are missing in your pk3 file. Presently the "tree" in the fountain room is missing a texture or shader.
  • I am pleasantly surprised that bots actually use the elevator... cool.
  • The switch... hmm... the bots don't seem to use it... not really your fault, they never understood switches in Q3A IIRC. But to make the bots get the Red Armour, your might want to add a info_player_deathmatch (player spawn point) down at the RA, but with key nohumans and value 1 set. That way only bots spawn down there, humans will have to use the switch.
  • You might like to make some of the doorways wider, especially on the lower level corners, on the opposite side of the elevator (under all those 50Hs). Presently the bots tend to get stuck there.
  • Personally I'd hang those teleports 8 units lower. In Quake they were high up, but in Q3A that looks a bit weird IMO.

The most work will need to be put into clip, to make the movement along walls and doorways smoother for the player. Presently you can get stuck all over the place.

Note these comments are not criticism, but an attempt to help you make better maps. We all had to learn these things at some point or other. Keep it up.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 07-16-2012 10:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yop
Thanks a lot for reply, I'll realease all these points soon.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.