Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        My stock textures up for download!

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: My stock textures up for download!

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 01-26-2012 11:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

HI all I'm not sure how much use can stock textures like these be to you guys but i guess you could put few of them to a good use.
I think there's around 200 diffuse maps in it, if i counted right.
All tile able, few only horizontally, mostly walls.
Here's the link to the download location. Send me feedback i f you want to.

Last edited by Rav3n on 02-06-2012 12:01 AM, edited 2 times in total.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 01-26-2012 12:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

nice will take a look when i get home. cheers!

visual prowess
visual prowess
PostPosted: 01-26-2012 12:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

been looking for more textures, thank you

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 01-26-2012 01:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

A nice collection of materials, you should probably think about distributing them in smaller files (339Mb is crazy large) Also how did you generate the normal maps? (This is mostly a curiosity thing) Once I separated out the normal/spec/bump maps there was only 175 texture (not a problem, just an observation). I like some of the names (hideous_green_tile, horrible_green_tile) they are awesome, made me laugh. My only concern with them is that some of the items are scaled crazy large like a single tile - 512x512. I am sure someone will find a use for them thou.

Also you specify on your site that the textures can be used for whatever anyone wants, (personal, commercial) are you sure you can do that with all those assets? You have a long list of websites of where I assume you originally got them from, which makes me think they are not originally yours. Don't take this the wrong way, I am just asking because one of those sites might ask you the same question.

Anyway, awesome materials set, congrats on the release. :up:

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 01-26-2012 01:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

downloading, might use if I do a map with real-time lighting

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 01-26-2012 02:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sock wrote:
A nice collection of materials, you should probably think about distributing them in smaller files (339Mb is crazy large) Also how did you generate the normal maps? (This is mostly a curiosity thing) Once I separated out the normal/spec/bump maps there was only 175 texture (not a problem, just an observation). I like some of the names (hideous_green_tile, horrible_green_tile) they are awesome, made me laugh. My only concern with them is that some of the items are scaled crazy large like a single tile - 512x512. I am sure someone will find a use for them thou.

Also you specify on your site that the textures can be used for whatever anyone wants, (personal, commercial) are you sure you can do that with all those assets? You have a long list of websites of where I assume you originally got them from, which makes me think they are not originally yours. Don't take this the wrong way, I am just asking because one of those sites might ask you the same question.

Anyway, awesome materials set, congrats on the release. :up:

Normal maps are made with crazy bump and some required blending 2 different normal maps together in photoshop.
But like i stated those were not made with the original tech3 engine in mind but rather for a specific modified version of it, so if you use them; you use them at your own risk. I have no idea how they will behave under Q3.

I left all maps at their original size, some like those tiles you mentioned could have been smaller. However i decided to leave that decision to the mapper. They can be easily re-scaled to any desired size.

As for the license, technically 95% of those textures you could take and freely redistribute, they were submitted under the share alike license. Rest aren't under that license but under standard CC, remix and attribution license.
However they all down to the last one allow commercial and personal use.
The list of sites from which base images were drawn is probably 5 times longer than it should be.
I made a "base images" folder in which i saved only those base images i was 110% sure i can include in the pack.
What i didn't do is bookmark the sites where i got the base images from in their own bookmark folder. One mistake i will most definitely never repeat.
So in the end i just went through my bookmarks and copied all the texture sites i found. But i can guarantee that down to the last one are legitimate and free to use.

I don't mind the question. I was asked the same thing before, and find it to be perfectly normal, legitimate question.

EDIT*
You're right there's only 175 diffuse maps not 200. This is the original first upload not the updated pack i finished 2 days ago. i counted diffuse maps in the wrong texture pack. My bad, sorry about that.

Last edited by Rav3n on 01-26-2012 02:20 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 01-26-2012 02:14 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

anyone go through all those links to get the download link to the pack yet?

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 01-26-2012 02:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

deqer wrote:
anyone go through all those links to get the download link to the pack yet?

I don't understand what is the problem.
There is only one link to follow to an external site and when you open it you can see the word "DOWNLOAD" written in big blue letters. Click it and the download starts.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 01-26-2012 02:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I didnt know where to download at first look. The huge "DOWNLOAD" looked like a headline for the following links that are placed under it.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 01-26-2012 02:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

neoplan wrote:
I didnt know where to download at first look. The huge "DOWNLOAD" looked like a headline for the following links that are placed under it.

OK I'll rename it to "CLICK TO DOWNLOAD THIS TEXTURE PACK" i that isn't a clear indicator what to click then i don;t know what is ;)

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 01-26-2012 02:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Only those links below are misleading...

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 01-26-2012 02:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

welcome to my ignore list deqer.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 01-27-2012 01:55 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 01-27-2012 03:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So I checked it, and its very raw indeed, not a texture set but a collection of materials of inconsistent scale and style.
Still useful, just have to pick some textures carefully and mix with some other set.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 01-29-2012 02:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Since they are 1024x1024 I will use them for a retexturing project I'm on. Thanks for uploading them!

Multidirectional
Multidirectional
PostPosted: 01-29-2012 05:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quote:
You have a long list of websites of where I assume you originally got them from, which makes me think they are not originally yours. Don't take this the wrong way, I am just asking because one of those sites might ask you the same question.

yeah and god and his son satan might have beef with your usage of them when you arrive at the pearly gates

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 01-29-2012 05:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lightmill wrote:
inconsistent scale and style.

Could you elaborate this please?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 01-29-2012 11:30 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What I think he means is that usually texture packs contain textures that all fit the same theme and look and are designed to be used together. I haven't looked at the contents of your pack, but I guess there's just a collection of random textures in there that don't match each other particularly well.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 01-30-2012 12:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
What I think he means is that usually texture packs contain textures that all fit the same theme and look and are designed to be used together. I haven't looked at the contents of your pack, but I guess there's just a collection of random textures in there that don't match each other particularly well.

You have a "tile" folder and in it there's a dozen or so tile textures. No they are not same style. They vary from smooth bathroom like tiles to rough concrete tiles.
Those that expected a texture pack they can use to texture an entire map with it will be disappointed.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 01-30-2012 07:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The style is selfexplaining I guess.
The scale issue: there supposed to be a consistent correlation between world scale and texture pixels, in quake (or any FPS game) especially. If you have a wall 1024pix that supposed to be about several times player hight (lets say 256 units) then you' d want to have 1024pix floor texture cover the same space of 256units. But in your pack some textures are zoomed-in details of materials or surfaces that would need to be fit into something like 32 or 64 units resulting in drastic pixel density difference and visible tiling compared to the other textures that would stretch over large surfaces (like the walls ones)
(You probably know that most map editors for FPS games use universal texture scale, 0.5 in Quake3 case, 0.25 in more "modern" games)

Hope it made sense.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 01-30-2012 10:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

lightmill wrote:
The style is selfexplaining I guess.
The scale issue: there supposed to be a consistent correlation between world scale and texture pixels, in quake (or any FPS game) especially. If you have a wall 1024pix that supposed to be about several times player hight (lets say 256 units) then you' d want to have 1024pix floor texture cover the same space of 256units. But in your pack some textures are zoomed-in details of materials or surfaces that would need to be fit into something like 32 or 64 units resulting in drastic pixel density difference and visible tiling compared to the other textures that would stretch over large surfaces (like the walls ones)
(You probably know that most map editors for FPS games use universal texture scale, 0.5 in Quake3 case, 0.25 in more "modern" games)

Hope it made sense.

Look here's how it goes. If you want to redistribute them like this then you have to use base images that are released under the appropriate license that allows you to redistribute a modified texture.
However 95% of all base images released are cover by modify and attribution but do not redistribute license.
So in the end it comes down to this. Will you use what you can find and have a relatively clean pack or use whatever you see and breach few dozen licenses.
Believe me if i could i would have gladly bulk downloaded cgtextures and make a first class high quality texture pack.
But i didn't and the pack is as it is. I know what you mean with that scale thing, however some scaling issues were unavoidable.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 01-30-2012 11:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You seem rather defensive about this. I think lightmill is just trying to help with his opinion on how you might improve work on a well polished texture pack rather than just distributing stock textures. I'm inclined to agree with his thoughts so maybe you might want to take all this as constructive criticism.

Perhaps the confusion has to do with the label, "texture pack". I think most game developers think of a texture pack as a set of textures of a common theme, resolution, etc., that are well polished and ready to use in-game. I think the intent of your download is to create a set of "stock textures" that people can use as a basis for creating custom texture sets, but by no means are they polished and ready for final use.

Hope this clears stuff up.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 01-30-2012 11:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
You seem rather defensive about this. I think lightmill is just trying to help with his opinion on how you might improve work on a well polished texture pack rather than just distributing stock textures. I'm inclined to agree with his thoughts so maybe you might want to take all this as constructive criticism.

Perhaps the confusion has to do with the label, "texture pack". I think most game developers think of a texture pack as a set of textures of a common theme, resolution, etc., that are well polished and ready to use in-game. I think the intent of your download is to create a set of "stock textures" that people can use as a basis for creating custom texture sets, but by no means are they polished and ready for final use.

Hope this clears stuff up.

Why when someone tries to explain why something is as it is people say "why are you so defensive". I'm not being defensive I'm just answering questions and replying to comments.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 01-30-2012 12:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I was going to reply to this yesterday but it was a crazy day. I agree with all posters so far, this is not a level design texture pack but it is a material 'stock' pack. You are missing a lot of critical components that make it useful to a level designer.

The bread and butter of any texture pack is a trim textures. The stuff that goes over the detail, that skirts around the borders of a room or piping of a machine. Your texture contains just material, nice materials but simply stuff you have collected and made tileable. The trick is to take these assets and actually make something from them that can be useful to other designers.

The second components that all texture packs need is a theme, something that defines the style and most importantly has a consist colour palette. Nobody wants to paint their level in a mismatch of texture styles (unless of course they are crazy) they want stuff to work together. Textures have got to work together and feel like they belong. The palette is something that a level designer does not often worry about because the stuff they use is already been setup correctly.

The third component is scale, the pipe texture has got to be tileable and relevant in size to a huge concrete wall texture. As previously mentioned you do have single bathroom tiles the same size as a 6 foot wall. If you scale that bathroom tile down to the relevant size it will look odd because it will have no variety and not be any use. The textures need to be designed with a sense of scale that when they are used they automagically look right.

Also Rave3n you are indeed being very defensive and angry with people giving you feedback. Most forums would just not bother to reply and tell you what they think. Everyone here is giving you some good solid feedback, obviously you can ignore it but that is your choice.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 01-30-2012 03:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Rav3n I think your textures are high quality already, just not all of them work together. I understand its hard to find many quality photo sources.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 02-04-2012 09:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ok i will try to make a texture pack.
Let's say I'm right now working on bathroom tiles. So the best way would be to create,3 different wall textures, 3 different floor textures, some decals, ceiling texture?
And when that's done i can call it an actual texture pack?

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 02-04-2012 01:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Go take a look at some commonly used texture packs to get a better idea. They usually have a set of textures that would fit in with a common theme and colour palette. Sometimes they aren't just a repeating brick wall, but a brick wall with crumbling brick, brick wall with a window, brick wall with a metal support structure, brick wall made of different types of brick, brick wall that is painted, brick trim, etc. Many different variations.

EvilLair's textures are a few different sets I really like:
http://www.evillair.net/v2/index.php?op ... &Itemid=43

As sock said, common colour palette is important. If you look at sock's textures in his maps, he might have 3 or 4 wood textures, but they all share more or less the same hue. Read up a little on colour theory and understand how analogous, complementary, tertiary colour schemes work to set a mood. Getting brightness, contrast, saturation is also important as well. Quake 3 seems to do well slightly darker on brightness than what typical photo captures take.

In addition to what was said above, try to add "character" to your textures. Flat repeating textures are boring. But if you can make your textures look like they belong to a living space then that does well to tell the story of your environment. sock's textures look like something out of a different ancient civilization, my textures look like something from a derelict steampunk foundry, EvilLair's textures look like something from a space station or right out of hell. Regardless, you'll notice that all the best texture packs aren't just raw photo sourced textures made to tile, but are embellished with hand painted details and careful Photoshop editing.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 02-04-2012 01:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

OK, i think i have a good idea as to in which direction to take it.
We'll see in few days if i got it right or not.
Thanks, Obsidian; and everyone else.

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 02-05-2012 12:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Bloodyhell you're on seriously thin ice with this texture pack. If I were you I'd go a re-read the T&C's for each and every one of those sites you list because a good number of them explicitly say you can't use their material they way you are... Royalty free doesn't mean 100%-free-to-use-however-you-see-fit... right now you're bordering on being an 'open-source leach'.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 02-05-2012 02:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Kat wrote:
Bloodyhell you're on seriously thin ice with this texture pack. If I were you I'd go a re-read the T&C's for each and every one of those sites you list because a good number of them explicitly say you can't use their material they way you are... Royalty free doesn't mean 100%-free-to-use-however-you-see-fit... right now you're bordering on being an 'open-source leach'.

I see reading isn't your strongest side huh.

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 02-05-2012 03:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thought you'd say that.

- spiralgraphics.biz. "You may redistribute our textures, but must clearly and visibly link to our website as the source of the textures.".

- davegh.com/vg/home.htm (that page links to a 404 error page) "Modifications: You can modify these images for your own purposes. However, you will be not able to claim the copyright for the modified images, and they will be subject to the same Terms and Conditions as the original ones"

- pixelperfectdigital.com/free_stock_photos/ "You may not place any of our images, modified or unmodified, on a diskette, CD, website or any other medium and offer them for redistribution or resale in a fashion that would violate this license."

That's just three chosen at random from your list.

I'm not going to comment on the textures themselves as that'll be seen as trolling in light of the above. :cry:

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 02-05-2012 10:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I see that your 4000+ posts are mostly spam.
Read what i wrote to that gut about the licenses. Obviously it missed your tiny little brain the post where i wrote those textures can be freely redistributed.
Now since you are so vigilant i decided to update the credits part with links to sites from which base images came.

And if you really think that i will spend a sleepless night cause i might have used an image that isn't falling under the same license as those from sites i listed...pull your head out of your ass kid.
People steal and redistribute software that costs thousands of dollars. And I'm supposed to worry over few textures someone released for free? If that person wants to sue me for that...LOL go for it, I'm waiting.

And here's something to think about. If a license says "do not redistribute" it alos means do not include the texture in a package from which it can be extracted.
So you can't bundle it with a model or put it in a .pk3.

Oh wow i guess your IQ doesn't allows you to understand the license fully huh.
So now you can go and inspect every single map ever made by every mapper in Q3 community and tell him he is using a texture in a manner that violates the original authors TOS.
All of you mappers here that use textures from CGtextures, you're not allowed to use them. Mainly cause CGtextures explicitly pointed out in their TOS that bundling falls under the "do not redistribute" part of the license.

And as for the "i wont comment on the quality" part of your previous comment.
To be perfectly honest i could not care less what some internet nobody i don't know, will never meet, or has any impact on my life at all has to say about me or my work.
I think you're giving yourself a little too much credit buddy, you're not as important as you may think :D
Have a nice day ;)

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 02-05-2012 10:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Rav3n wrote:
Read what i wrote to that gut about the licenses. Obviously it missed your tiny little brain the post where i wrote those textures can be freely redistributed.
Now since you are so vigilant i decided to update the credits part with links to sites from which base images came.

And if you really think that i will spend a sleepless night cause i might have used an image that isn't falling under the same license as those from sites i listed...pull your head out of your ass kid.
People steal and redistribute software that costs thousands of dollars. And I'm supposed to worry over few textures someone released for free? If that person wants to sue me for that...LOL go for it, I'm waiting.

And here's something to think about. If a license says "do not redistribute" it alos means do not include the texture in a package from which it can be extracted.

So now you can go and inspect every single map ever made by every mapper in Q3 community and tell him he is using a texture in a manner that violates the original authors TOS.
All of you mappers here that use textures from CGtextures, you're not allowed to use them. Mainly cause CGtextures explicitly pointed out in their TOS that bundling falls under the "do not redistribute" part of the license.

To be perfectly honest i could not care less what some internet nobody i don't know, will never meet, or has any impact on my life at all has to say about me or my work.
I think you're giving yourself a little too much credit buddy, you're not as important as you may think :D
Have a nice day ;)
I guess that told me :rolleyes:

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 02-05-2012 11:52 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Rav3n wrote:

Have a nice day ;)

Lmao dude. Show some respect or gtfo please.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 02-06-2012 06:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:

Obsidian, you really need to release a texture pack! :)

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.