Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Quake III Arena map models from baseq3 to Radiant?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Quake III Arena map models from baseq3 to Radiant?

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 03-18-2012 09:57 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Is it possible to get all md3 files used in all quake 3 maps to Radiant? Game release have no md3 files for map models included (geometry of these models were burned into BSP files of maps) and I wanna make some remixes of original Quake 3 maps, that weren't ported to GTK Radiant (such as Q3DM2 or Q3DM16). q3dm2 has many map models, they weren't ported to use in Radiant (md3 file as source of geometry)...
You can give me download link to ase files with converter to md3, if md3's are unavaible to download...

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 03-18-2012 11:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The good ol' manual way of doing it (it could be more in-depth but as the British would say - I couldn't be arsed):
1. Convert a bsp that has the model to ase using q3map2.
2. Open the ase in a text editor such as WordPad.
3. Check which shaders/textures the model uses, search for the materials that use them in the ase.
4. Delete the rest of the materials, adjust the max material count accordingly.
5. Find the geometry that uses the materials used, usually you only needs the first instance of each. Delete the rest of the geometry.
6. Renumber the materials starting from 0 in the material list, and adjust the references in the geometry accordingly.
7. Save the file and load into Radiant. High Five... it is niiice!
8. Learn to post a thread to the correct board in these forums.

Now you'll have the model you want, although the origin and angle may be inconvenient when used in Radiant. You could convert the bsp used into map format and get the origin and angle of the model using the entity list/editor, and just get the model back into its original position and angle by reversing the xyz position and angle of it. Then of course you could compile it into an md3 if preferred. I've got most of the Q3A and Q3TA models converted from a while ago (maybe I'll upload them later), just got some issues with sprites ie: flares etc. not drawing properly. Other than that they're exact replicas of the originals.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-18-2012 11:57 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think all md3s used in the Q3 maps are distributed with GtkRadiant

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 03-18-2012 12:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Found it:
http://www.mediafire.com/?ubpkfb1ioo92apv

Has an example map included, just edited some irrelevant models out of it. If anyone knows how to fix the glitchy skull lamp please share your wisdom.

@Eraser: afaik they only released the mapobjects that were used in the map samples.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 03-18-2012 03:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Iirc qkenny remade a lot of the unreleased models. I have no idea if Bill Brook's FPS site is still there, but pretty sure qkenny's models were hosted there.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 03-18-2012 04:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Most, but not all models are distributed as part of the editor's SDK. Bill Brook's archive with QKennyQ's models is here, though they are unsorted so you'll have to browse through a number of pages for the ones you are looking for.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 03-19-2012 02:13 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
I think all md3s used in the Q3 maps are distributed with GtkRadiant

Not at real... ID maps such as q3dm2 have models that weren't included into Radiant installation... Like wall window or ribcage...

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 03-19-2012 02:14 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

themuffinman wrote:
@Eraser: afaik they only released the mapobjects that were used in the map samples.

Also released cagelight used in q3dm6 for tech maps

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 03-22-2012 06:21 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

themuffinman wrote:
Found it:
http://www.mediafire.com/?ubpkfb1ioo92apv

Has an example map included, just edited some irrelevant models out of it. If anyone knows how to fix the glitchy skull lamp please share your wisdom.

Hmm... this is beta release (the ceiling in dm2 is a bit different)...

I wanted to access ID Software's pages, but they've required my birthday date... I've pasted the date and it has written I have no access to the pages. When I've read privacy policy, I've read children under 13 have no access to sites, but I'm 15 exactly, so they must give me access... Looks like it's broken :/

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.