Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        20 Brush 2012 Discussion Thread

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: 20 Brush 2012 Discussion Thread

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-12-2012 07:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hi. Post your questions, work-in-progress stuff, contest discussions, etc. here.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-12-2012 07:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

BTW, if anyone has any other places to promote this contest, please do so. I already posted on the QuakeLive forum and at MapCore.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 04-12-2012 07:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Contest seems interesting.

Still not sure if I will be participating just yet, but I do have a question: Is stuff like level-covering fog (ala Fatal Instinct / q3tourney5) allowed, and if so does it contribute to the brush count?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-12-2012 09:28 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cool. Will flex those muscles :)

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 04-13-2012 05:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

how do liquids count?

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-13-2012 06:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Volumetric brushes like liquids and fog count towards your total. In most cases, that's only one brush out of 20 (level wide fog or a pool of water), so it's not the end of the world.

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 04-13-2012 11:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Probably the first time ever I noticed a contest the day it was announced. Cool thing. I'll see what I can do in two weeks :)

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-14-2012 06:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just 6 skybox brushes are free. Sky portals are not allowed at all as stated in the rules.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 04-14-2012 06:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'll give it a shot

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 04-14-2012 04:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

im gonna jump out of this one. sorry for messing up this thread.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-14-2012 07:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's too bad, your test shots looked pretty interesting. You could probably have tossed in a few items and just submitted that as your entry.

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 04-15-2012 08:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

fkd, are you shitting me? Your level looked almost done! You better finish this off and hand it in.

Edit:
I'm not sure if I'll enter this one, depends on how well I proceed with studying for exams.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 04-15-2012 11:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quote:
Custom textures are allowed, however you must make them yourself exclusively for this map

heh, first made simple ctf map and only then noticed it =)
map is here
http://www.gamefront.com/files/21565706/xttower.pk3
http://www.sendspace.com/file/0nqr9r
though it's out of contest

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 04-15-2012 05:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Probably should have asked this before I went and pretty much finished my level, but are mirrors ok? (please say yes) :paranoid:

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 04-15-2012 07:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If i cap a cylinder, do the caps count as one including the corresponding cylinder? or is it tallied individually?

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-15-2012 11:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Do projected decals count as patches?
//edit...doh...re read the rules

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 04-16-2012 04:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

dervish wrote:
If i cap a cylinder, do the caps count as one including the corresponding cylinder? or is it tallied individually?

A patch cap is another seperate patch. A cylinder and it's cap don't count as one patch.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 04-16-2012 03:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ok thanks

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 04-16-2012 07:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

extone wrote:
Quote:
Custom textures are allowed, however you must make them yourself exclusively for this map

heh, first made simple ctf map and only then noticed it =)
map is here
http://www.gamefront.com/files/21565706/xttower.pk3
http://www.sendspace.com/file/0nqr9r
though it's out of contest

couldn't find a spawn point :rolleyes:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-16-2012 11:22 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I am kind of hampered by the texture rules I'm afraid. I think using custom textures is pretty much a requirement to have your map stand out visually, especially because of the 20 brush limit.

However, I'm no texture artist by any means and other than going for a cel shaded look, I'm kind of out of options if I have to create my own textures from scratch.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-17-2012 12:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@Eraser...same. I spent the last couple of days making some textures and writing some shaders (neither still are finished) and have at present drawn one brush.

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 04-17-2012 03:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Obligatory "I told you so, Obsidian." statement

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 04-17-2012 04:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Started doodling around; though I'm not sure if I'll be able to finish it.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-17-2012 07:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

nick lol wrote:
Probably should have asked this before I went and pretty much finished my level, but are mirrors ok? (please say yes) :paranoid:

Mirrors as in with shaders and portals? Sure, I don't see why not. You can use them for teleporters or something else.

I think just about every year, the winner for the 20b contest tend to have really minimal textures. There used to be a 5 texture rule as well which I forgot to put into the rules this year (and I'll leave it out to see what people come up with). Lunaran's entry into the MapCore contest won using essentially one texture of plain white with some noise, and a couple of hand drawn, pencil on paper lines. Corsair won the LD contest using NO textures and just a lightmap with coloured lights! PJW's Crate Efficiency from a much older 20b contest used just stock id Software textures under the 5 texture limit.

You also get twice the time as previous contests, so you can spend a whole week on textures and another on level design. We're only on day 4. This contest isn't supposed to be easy, it's supposed to be a challenge to test your abilities to make a map with brush and time limitations. The idea is to force people who don't usually make textures or shaders to try and do something creative. As evident from previous contest winners, you don't have to be the best texture artist, just the most creative one.

Furthermore, depending on the number of entries, there may be different categories - best visuals, best gameplay, best use of brushes, etc... so you can still win a category even if you have worst textures. If you need help or suggestions on textures/shaders, post them here (or a new thread) and someone will help you.

So quit your yappin' and start your mappin'! :p

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-17-2012 07:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

FYI, I currently have only one texture that I applied to maybe 5% of surfaces, and the rest of my map is still caulk. Layout isn't nearly done, just doodles of I think 7 or 8 brushes.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 04-17-2012 08:48 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

dervish wrote:
couldn't find a spawn point :rolleyes:

yeah, also http://q3a.ath.cx/ warning me about it, so I replaced all CTF_xxxspawn with CTF_xxxplayer, it should work now in vanilla q3 as well
and now it's here http://q3a.ath.cx/map/xttower/

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 04-19-2012 01:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey everyone. I joined this forum pretty much so I could partake in the challenge. I love contests where resources are limited.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-19-2012 07:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Welcome, hope you stick around after the contest too.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 04-19-2012 10:48 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Is there anything against making a separate botmap for generating a workable aas? (such as described by Simon here: http://www.simonoc.com/pages/design/mp/pom_bots.htm ) This would put me over the brush limit if the brushes used to make this aas map are counted.

The bots hate my map :( (or Q3 just hates my aas, whichever you prefer)

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 04-20-2012 05:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I reckon the custom texture rule applys for skyboxes as well?!

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-20-2012 05:58 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I've built something that's got 15 brushes or so, and it's great that I still got 5 brushes to spare, but during construction it is alarming to see how tiny changes can end up in the brush count exploding. This is harder than I thought. It's a shame Q3 can't do concave brushes, that would make this so much easier ;)

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-20-2012 07:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Add 5 crates, DONE! :D

cityy: I think so, it's not too hard to create cloud layer shaders or other sky effects if a cube map is hard to do.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 04-20-2012 09:28 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If you're going for a space vibe, look up some PS tutorials for creating planets and stars. There's a bazillion of them and most of the time they are applicable in programs like GIMP or Paint.NET as well

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 04-20-2012 11:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

caulk brushes count? cause i used one to fix vis problems and i exceeded the brush limit

[edit]
"Special invisible tool brushes (origin, trigger, hints, nodraw, clips, caulk, etc.) are free and does not add to the 20 brush limit."
somehow i miss that

Last edited by Julek on 04-20-2012 11:58 AM, edited 1 time in total.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-20-2012 11:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Nope, you're good. It's mentioned in the rules.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.