Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        MSG Q3/QL Mapping Competition #5

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: MSG Q3/QL Mapping Competition #5

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 05-07-2013 11:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

For the fifth time, MaverickServers is hosting a Quake 3/Quake Live level design competition. Mappers from the community are encouraged to participate; veteran mappers and those looking to get into mapping are welcome to join in on the fun. Prizes will be awarded to the best maps.

The contest will start on June 9th and run for 12 weeks until August 31st; judging will begin for 1 week later. Registration deadline is 4 weeks after the start date on July 6th.

Sapphire, Wacom, and id Software are already sponsoring and there are more to come (if you are interested in donating please PM MaverickMSG on IRC)

Rules
  • The map should be able to hold at least 8 players suitable for 4v4 TDM/CTF or 8 players FFA or be a 1v1 map (although 1v1/tournament maps will be held to the same quality levels as more complex TDM/CTF maps)
  • Doesn't necessarily have to support a specific gametype or mod, but you are welcome to specify one
  • Map must be previously unreleased and a new design. Please no map remakes or edits.
  • Map must contain sponsor images.
  • Full rule listing at the main competition website

Judging
  • Will be done by a panel of experienced players and mappers who are familiar with that map's chosen audience (ie: a CPM map is judged by CPM players, a CTF map is judged by CTF players, etc)
  • Scored primarily on gameplay/design and also on overall looks, creativity, and layout
  • Judges: TBA

Competition Links: Main Page, Forums, #maverickservers
Previous Competition: ESR Post, Main Page

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 05-08-2013 12:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Question:

Last year, my attempt failed because I couldn't get the layout right. If I continue the same concept and layout ideas but build again from scratch (which I was planning to anyway) is that allowed to enter?

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 05-08-2013 02:22 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Maybe I'll join again, if something does not spread my plans out.
I hope nothing will... I'll see...

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 05-08-2013 05:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I am definitely not in. No time and other reasons why not. I am already wishing good luck to every participant and let the Radiant be radiant.

@Infernis: You shouldn't have said it :DD
But since you are creating a totally new map, only including your old texture style there shouldn't be any problem. It's like having a layout already in mind before the competition starts, and since when is thinking about it properly before starting a rule violation?

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 05-08-2013 06:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm going to maintain certain elements from the previous alpha of course. It's going to be a lot different and totally rebuild but things will be there.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 05-08-2013 07:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, you've always been allowed to create textures/layout sketches/etc before the start of the comps, so as long as you remake all of the 'in editor' aspects like brushwork, entities, etc, from scratch (ie, no copy/pasting old work in), I don't think it would be a problem. I'd get confirmation though ofc.

Now, having said that, I'm in. :D

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 05-08-2013 03:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Good luck to those entering this time around :up:

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 05-09-2013 05:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm definitely in this year. Last year my computer crapped out on me so I bought all the stuff to build a new one and when I put it all together I
couldn't get past the setup in the bios. Turned out it was the MB wasn't updated as the manufacturer stated ,to be compatible with C2 stepping,
so I sent it back and bought a completely different MB. By the time I had it up and running it was too late to enter.

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 05-12-2013 04:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Guys, don't forget you need to open a thread on the MSG forums to sign up. :)

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 05-18-2013 02:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So sad... I want to participate, but I will have no time, unfortunately :(

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 05-18-2013 11:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This is great! :)
I'm not a mapper myself, but I can't wait to see the awesome stuff I know you guys will come up with!

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 05-21-2013 02:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@Noruen: Give us your last unfinished map please =) Wanna see that beehivish thing.

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 06-02-2013 06:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Only one week left until the competition starts guys! Note that this year, the competition will last 12 instead of 10 weeks - so if that was holding you back before, be sure to get in!

Last edited by cityy on 06-02-2013 08:45 AM, edited 1 time in total.Reason: I fail @ life

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 06-02-2013 08:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

But according to the site registration closes on 6th July, not 6th June... (???)

And where's your registration Mr List? No cityy, phantazm, hipshot, bst, stormshadow and shadow = :(

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 06-02-2013 08:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh, you are absolutely right, I mixed things up in very good fashion! The competition starts in exactly one week but signup deadline is July 6th as you say. :owned:

I don't really have time to enter myself this year, phantazm11 is probably busy with life and hipshot is wanking over starwars. :P I haven't heard anything of StormShadow and bst but Shadow considered entering if he finds time (recently had a brief chat with him on steam).
Why don't you enter?

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 06-02-2013 12:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

All winter long, stuck indoors and dying of cabin fever with nothing to do. Sun comes out, finally gets nice and warm, hey let's stay indoors on the computer! What's this thing I heard of called "outside"? :p

I'll see if I can come up with a decent layout in the next month, though I have zero motivation to do anything other than rock climbing, cycling or sitting on a muskoka chair in my backyard.

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 06-02-2013 12:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

...and stealing cars

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 06-02-2013 12:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

...and genocide... oh wait, that's not me, that's you!

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 06-02-2013 02:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Meany black humor, sir! rolf
@cityy: I read "hipshot is wanking over stairways" the first time... Seems like I did way too much mapping overall...

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 06-03-2013 12:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This is getting interesting, do continue...

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 06-03-2013 12:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

And no I'm not entering. I've come to the conclusion that I'm terrible at finalising an original layout of a map, which is a kinda important part of level design!

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 06-03-2013 12:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, I would find this interresting if I played more Quake Live ... But my current mapping plan is to do something with idTech 5. And also continue learning / hacking stuff on idTech 3 code.

And I've never been very talented at creating interresting multiplayer gameplay maps ... I'm more about visuals :)

Have fun !

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 06-06-2013 11:02 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Looks like I won't participate this year, school forbids it.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 06-07-2013 09:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

At this rate, I can submit a square block room and win by default!

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 06-08-2013 02:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Not if I make a square block room with a jumppad. Then I would have the vertical element covered :olo: .

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 06-09-2013 02:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Okay okay. Nice gameplay kaustic, but I would add 90degree patches in each corner of the room for the design points. Beat that!

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 06-09-2013 02:46 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Posting a square room with a jumppad to hanging platform with a Railgun and pair of Slugs ;)

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 06-09-2013 04:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You guys are going to get dejected and not finish your ever more complicated maps in time for the contest deadline and I'll still win with my square block.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 06-10-2013 01:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

IIRC you have never mentioned a light in your room, so think about that so-coolsidian!

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 06-10-2013 03:55 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Why, what's wrong with fullbright vertex lit rooms? Breaks the monotony of perfectly well lit maps, doesn't it?

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 06-10-2013 05:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I could add a teleporter just above the jp with a tp destination of the jp so that you get stuck in an endless
loop of jumping and teleporting :olo: . Then send it to Obsidian for play testing and he will be so enthralled
with its complexity that he will never finish his map >:D .

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 06-10-2013 05:54 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

kaustic wrote:
I could add a teleporter just above the jp with a tp destination of the jp so that you get stuck in an endless
loop of jumping and teleporting :olo: . Then send it to Obsidian for play testing and he will be so enthralled
with its complexity that he will never finish his map >:D .

:up:

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 06-13-2013 01:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@Bliccer: i can send it to you, hm? ;)

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 06-14-2013 02:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@Noruen: \o/ You know where you can find me *ka-ching*

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 06-26-2014 12:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No competition this year?

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.