Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        [ALPHA 4] CZQ3DM1 by CZghost

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: [ALPHA 3] CZQ3DM1 by CZghost

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 11-13-2013 03:22 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

college degrees don't pay the bills dude.

Facebook Likes do.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 11-13-2013 08:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

High school diplomas are for chumps. You have to learn the way of the streets, bro.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-14-2013 02:06 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

CZghost wrote:
what will I do without maturity?

Well, you managed to go without any trace of maturity so far...

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 07-21-2014 01:14 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, I'm back for some time, having some troubles with Radiant. I will start making new version marked as ALPHA 4 as soon as the errors fly away :)

It's quite annoying that Radiant is too dumb that it doesn't recognise it has moved to new dir. Well, I hope for the soon fix. I need to clean the app cache as well as get missing important file :tear:

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 07-21-2014 09:13 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

New Radiant discards my map as it's not readable and kicks out an error. Please, do not tell me I have to rebuild whole map from the very early. I need to find any way to get the map back except for rebuilding from very early scratch.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 07-24-2014 01:47 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, my machine sucks. Windows 7 on Pentium 4 isn't much good, especially that this old CPU gets slower and slower and Windows are harder and harder to keep CPU under critical temperature, especially I am doing something with file attributes and permissions, which gets CPU up to 100% of power gain. Yeah, I know, that sucks, but it's just that...

I need to get dual-core CPU for my pretty old motherboard (Gygabyte from Intel with LGA 775 socket), it needs to fit the chipset version and this is really hard to be informed about.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 09-27-2014 12:28 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Continuing in mapping with Radiant 1.5 that the only one do not need edit permissions... Looking for a way to compile Alpha 4 :)

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 11-24-2014 08:22 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I decided to completely rework the entire map and start from very early point, just keeping the project name and version track as it would normally go on, so considering it as alpha 4. I start from very bottom, which I decided to make something like a cavement (do not look at the rectangular area as it will be made more natural later as it will come to visuals, the layout is more important). Look at this screenshot (using caulk now, it will be fixed up later as I get higher in the map):

What do you think about that? Will it have any success? The small chunks will be floating stones and in the middle of the island would be some nice goodie to grab :) Now it is plain worldspawn...

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 11-24-2014 12:52 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So um, you finally had something tangible to work with and now you've scrapped all of it and started over? Oh boy...
Well, good luck with that I guess.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 11-25-2014 06:43 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I did not like the layout it had before and since I read the guide by Pat, I decided to make level following it. Starting from very bottom since I have an idea of a hell like place built in a cave (the image above) and since caves are usualy at ground or underground level, it shouĺd be the very bottom part of map. Don't worry, I hope it will make up in some time :)

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 12-08-2014 07:26 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Alpha 4 is up, checked there are no visible flaws, the roll key used for the portal had to be tweaked several compiles, made the portal aware of wobbling, so the map requires to own version 1.32.

There are some screenies, download link is in the first post.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 12-20-2014 06:15 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No feedback :arrow: no updates. If you never gonna check out what I came with, then it's all about trash the progress and make alpha4 as final (maybe release it under April Fool's Day cover). You do not want this, right?

As a beginner in regular mapping I need any form of feedback in order to continue in mapping of the current project, I need to know what kind of map you would like to play and, simply, achieve some experiences. Since there is no feedback, I wait some weeks, then move to new project. One of the reason why I wait is described above, it's the main reason. Also my computer gets silly with printer drivers and can't figure out why, reinstall of the drivers didn't helped, so I need to reinstall whole Windows and make bit backup of the computer with the Windows, drivers, antivirus and other useful software that I have on my CD's...

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 12-20-2014 07:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'll only post a few things just by judging the screenshots alone.

1st Screenshot:
I'd refrain from putting both the Red Armor and Regeneration so close to each other. The Red Armor is one of the highest priority items for FFA / Tourney play, however, team that +100 armor boost with a regeneration to +200HP is a bit over powering in terms of balance. There's an easy exit route in this area, and the difficulty to get to both of the items isn't that high. One of the important elements to these high-grade items is the difficulty in getting them or how vulnerable the placement of the item can be (e.g The Railgun placement in The Very End of You 'Tourney6' and the Red Armor placement in The Longest Yard 'DM17').

2nd Screenshot:
Maybe angle the jump pad a bit to the direction that you set the path to go. So if you are going forward and need to turn around while mid-flight due to the path you set, angle it a bit towards you so it indicates the direction you will travel. Plus, it makes it a bit more realistic in terms of physics.

Also, the scale looks a tad bit cramped in that area to me. Then again, this is just by looking at the screenshot alone, so is an uncertain analysis on that part.

8th Screenshot:
I think there may be too much machine gun ammo boxes in this area. Maybe switch out the +50 Health and the Machine Gun ammo closest to us in the screenshot with 2 +25 Healths, or if the health is quite scarce is in this area, just replace the Machine Gun ammo with another +50 Health.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 12-21-2014 12:43 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Regeneration is teamed with Quad Damage and yes, I understand it's dumb to have RA here. Maybe replacing it with another weapon (like plasma) and make the Megaheath teamed with RA. What about the layout? Is it chaotic or it would play good enough?

visual prowess
visual prowess
PostPosted: 12-21-2014 01:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

After running around in it, two things instantly came to mind

- The maps scale is a bit too small, especially on the lower level hallways
- If the scale was bigger, more holes in the floors could be added so there's more than 1 or 2 ways to get to the bottom

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 01-05-2015 05:42 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

CZghost wrote:
No feedback :arrow: no updates. If you never gonna check out what I came with, then it's all about trash the progress and make alpha4 as final (maybe release it under April Fool's Day cover). You do not want this, right?

As a beginner in regular mapping I need any form of feedback in order to continue in mapping of the current project, I need to know what kind of map you would like to play and, simply, achieve some experiences. Since there is no feedback, I wait some weeks, then move to new project. One of the reason why I wait is described above, it's the main reason. Also my computer gets silly with printer drivers and can't figure out why, reinstall of the drivers didn't helped, so I need to reinstall whole Windows and make bit backup of the computer with the Windows, drivers, antivirus and other useful software that I have on my CD's...

People are not putting a whole lot of time into the Q3 mapping (community) anymore, on account of it being a 15 year old game. So you might understand that people can't be bothered to download a really early alpha version of a map to give comment, especially not during a period where there's all sorts of amazing work released for the recent mapping competition that draws people's attention instead. Also, last but not least, you have a history of not finishing anything so people are probably feeling like their comments and advice eventually end up in the garbage bin anyway.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.