Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Blackrose: a new skin for the Mynx model (Download included)

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Blackrose: a new skin for the Mynx model (Download included)

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 02-09-2014 05:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey guys! I finally finished this skin for Mynx. I had to shelf it for a bit when I went on a Christmas holiday, and only got back to it now.

Download from Worldspawn:
http://ws.q3df.org/model/mynx_blackrose/

Map featured in screenshot: http://lvlworld.com/download/Mu.innellim

In case anyone is interested, I also created some step-by-step tutorials on how I did the face and hair:

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 02-09-2014 07:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

AMAZING.

Send this to QL devs!

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 02-09-2014 02:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Methinks you should do skin-work on some higher-poly models :up: This looks pretty sweet though. Crazy that folks are still developing for this damn game 15 years later :olo:

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 02-09-2014 05:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Wow! I love the hair and painted sheen of the leather. Nice mini tutorial too.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 02-10-2014 04:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks guys, glad you like her! :D

@ mrd: That's what I do for a day job, actually. So In my free time, I like to kick back and have some fun with the oldschool stuff! :owned:

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 02-10-2014 11:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

All is well then.

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 02-10-2014 10:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Very cool! Especially that it was released now, I had to check the OP post date to be really sure.

Maybe you started working with this in 1999, then you decided that now is a good year to release it?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-11-2014 05:44 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That looks awesome.
For some reason it looks like there's much more detail in this skin than the original Q3 skins, but that might be just me :shrug:

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 02-11-2014 06:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@ Hipshot: My plan is to make a bunch more of them. It's never too late to make a skin for Quake 3, is it? :D

@ Eraser: I upgraded the main body texture from the original size of 256x128 pixels to a larger 512x256 pixel sheet. I kept the head and chest textures at the original sizes. I did that because the pixel density on this character was very uneven. To be specific, the body suit had much less texture space than the rest of her. I tried to work at the original resolution at first, but I wasn't able to draw crisp buckles and clothing seams that way. So, I fixed the pixel density problem by upscaling the offending texture, and working at the higher detail level instead.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-11-2014 06:38 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ah I see. And that works properly in-game as well or not? I imagine the wrapping goes all wrong then? Or is Quake 3 smart enough to fix that for you? I know it isn't that easy when it comes to texturing levels.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 02-11-2014 07:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

With character textures you can simply use any texture size, as long as the proportions are kept the same. :)

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 02-12-2014 01:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

wow, very cool! keep em coming :)

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 06-24-2014 03:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This is awesome. Mynx is my fave character, loving this version. The hair is especially great.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 07-21-2014 03:47 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cool chick :) Have downloaded yesterday, looked in chat file for the bot and I must say there is number of jokes :olo: and she's pretty sweary :) Will try a game with her later :)

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 07-22-2014 04:38 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

A game with Rosie was pretty simple. I have loaded up Arena Gate (q3dm1) and placed Rosie there. Well, she's not much communicative type. Fair said, she plays a bit bored, skin is great, but I would not suggest her as a bot to play.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.