Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Creating new weapon models

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Creating new weapon models

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 02-22-2014 02:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey ppl! I'm creating new player models for Q3, but i'm curious about how the game reads the data files. By analyzing the existing weapons, i have noticed:

weaponName.md3 // Weapon model
weaponName_1.md3 // LOD 1
weaponName_2.md3 // LOD 2
weaponName_flash.md3 // Muzzflash model
weaponName_hand.md3 // No model, just two tags and those tags are animated

So, what's going on with the "_hand" animation here? How can i animate my weapon on the third-person and first-person view? Do i have to animate the tags? If so, how is this done? Also, what changes if i'm using IQM, now supported by ioquake? No more tags? Or same workflow?

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 02-22-2014 07:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I believe these are just the animations for when the player changes weapons. The tags indicate the position of the weapon relative to where the player's hands are supposed to be when dropping and changing the weapon models. I believe you have to animate the location of the tags though I'm not sure about the specifics on how to do this. You'll probably have to pour over some documentation and dig for old tutorials for this.

This is all there is in terms of official documentation:
http://icculus.org/gtkradiant/documenta ... manual.htm

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 02-22-2014 08:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Unfortunately, that's for players, no weapons. How does one animate the tags?

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 02-26-2014 03:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

iirc the animations are hardcoded. i replaced weapons for a opensource project, and instead of having a lightninggun i build a minigun, with a spinning barrel pretty much like the original quake3 machinegun. without touching the code or animating the weapon the barrel just spins by attaching the barrel to the tag_barrel (or however it was called) in a similiar way the gauntlet worked.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.