Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Patch Meshes

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Patch Meshes

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 04-17-2014 03:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have a map from Nexuiz that I've been attempting to port over to Source Engine game and it's gone pretty decent for the most part. (By decent, I of course mean tedious as these things are haha) Since Nexuiz is a modified Q3 engine game, I thought it might be more appropriate to ask here for the mapping issues. ANYWAY, getting back to the title, patch meshes, they don't port over.

In GTKRadiant\NetRadiant, there's this plugin that will export brushes to an obj format, but it won't work for patch meshes which is so... irritating. There's patch meshes that look like they should've been models to begin with, so recreating them would be WAY way out of my range of abilities. If there's absolutely no existing way to export them or convert them to a model somehow, where might I find the source to the brushexport2 plugin?

Any help is greatly appreciated!

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-17-2014 07:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

NOTE: Be careful about porting maps and assets from other games... depending on what you are doing it may fall on legal gray areas or be completely illegal. As level designers, we should always respect the work of others and if in doubt, contact the appropriate parties for permission.

Q3Map2 can convert brushes and patches to .ase models:
http://en.wikibooks.org/wiki/Q3Map2#Cre ... _brushwork

I don't know where the GtkRadiant 1.5.0 source code is anymore (and thus the export plugin), you can try asking TTimo if he's around on IRC:
http://webchat.quakenet.org/?channels=radiant

Or ask the people involved with NetRadiant, though I think most of them are going to be difficult to contact as it seems to be largely abandoned.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 04-17-2014 08:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll look into that, and I'm aware of the legalities, it was a map that was released with its source and said to be released under GPL which as I understand it means that I can go ahead and use it all I want so long as I include the "source" file with the map.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 04-19-2014 07:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thank you very much, it worked real well. I just have one question, is there anyway to get around needing to have them in a room? It seems that you can't put it to an ASE model if it's in the "void". It was no big deal, I just removed what I didn't need from inside of 3Ds Max, but it would be more convenient if I didn't have to.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 04-19-2014 07:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You need to put the map in some kind of box room so that it can compile the BSP, otherwise you'll get errors and Q3Map2 will abort the compile process.

However, Q3Map2 will cull all surfaces textured with caulk, so just texture the box with caulk and it will automatically remove the box from the model.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.