Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        problem about region compile(GTKRadiant version 1.6.3)

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: problem about region compile(GTKRadiant version 1.6.3)

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 06-17-2014 07:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

the bigger and more complex map is made, the more time you need to compile. it's very inconvenient and time-consuming only to test part of it. So the information from GTKRadiant Official Manual
"working with regions" provieds a way to solve such problem(here is the link: http://icculus.org/gtkradiant/documenta ... tm#workreg ),it seems nice!
But, when I put this solution into practice, a headache problem was arised. No matter how many times I tried to adjust the map, it always comes with the same problem.
************ ERROR ************
LoadPortals: couldn't read F:/QUAKE3/QUAKE3/BASEQ3/maps/yunshuchuan.prt

I wonder whether some details I don't take into account or not. Did someone use this region function successfully?

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 06-17-2014 07:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have an open issue for this on the GtkRadiant project page. No, region compiling does not currently work, nor has it worked in a very very long time, probably not in the last 10 years. As I understand it, the feature was a bit of a messy hack anyway. Perhaps someone can supplant it with a better working feature.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 06-18-2014 12:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

what a pity that such attractive feature doesn't work, recently, most of my time was spent on how to reduce the time of compiling a .map file. I learned that proper use of hint brush and detail brush might be a solution, and I also found your former thread whose topic is : Advanced Portal and Hinting Optimization Tutorial. I'm about to study and put it into practice to see the effect. A quake3 original map has 16000+ active protals and 4000+ hint portals takes almost same time to compile as a map takes I made which has 16000 active protals and 550 hint protals and size is only one-third of original one. so I suppose that prope use of hint protal might be a effective method to reduce compile time. further findings will be posted if exist. thank all you guys for your advices!

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 06-18-2014 09:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You don't have to compile VIS everytime. Only if you want to test performance related stuff like hint portals, or for beta releases and final compiles.

If the light stage takes a long time, and you want to test only a part of your map: put the parts you wish to skip in giant caulk brushes.

You have to noclip to the test area, if you spawn inside the caulk brush.

The only way to reduce VIS compile time is to keep the visdatasize as low as possible by making everything you can detail.
Normal mode: detail - structural
Über mode: detail - structural :eek:

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 06-22-2014 08:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

thank you for your advices. I noticed that there are many texture types, such as no draw, skip, clusterportal and so on under texture/common. I am not very clear about that, Do you have any tutorials about how to use them? I will appreciate that!

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.