Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Model parts dissapearing when too close

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Model parts dissapearing when too close

visual prowess
visual prowess
PostPosted: 07-08-2014 06:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have a player model I made, and it loads in the game fine, everything is done, but there's one final problem i'm having. Whenever you go too close to the model, or say zoom in and the camera gets too close, the torso and legs dissapear (but the head never does). Does anyone know what causes this? :paranoid:

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 07-22-2014 04:31 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If you have said that it disappears when get too far, it might be caused by missing LOD files (basic player model file name plus underscore plus number of distance (1 for medium distance, 2 for long distance) (plus extension .md3)... I'm not 100% sure what causes that in the short distance, but there must be something with the three files of player model... Forwarding to more skilled modellers here...

visual prowess
visual prowess
PostPosted: 07-22-2014 02:26 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thanks for replying, but I figured it out a while ago. I had to set the origin of the meshes to their center in blender, before exporting.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 07-23-2014 07:21 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, I didn't recognise that :olo: Also make sure you have LOD files for your player model included as well. LOD stands for Level Of Details, if you don't know. LOD files are regular models, but with simplified meshes than basic player model files. There are two of these file, each has filename of the body part (head, upper, lower), underscore and number which describes how far you are from the player/model. Of cource also extension, which is md3. Number 1 stands for medium distance and number 2 stands for far distance. Number 2 will be even more simplified than number 1, that is as well simplified version of basic model. Check out that they are there, if it is missing, game might cause model disappearing when you get further from it. This does apply also for item models as well, only mapmodels do not use this technique as they are baked directly in the BSP tree, so you don't have to include the source model, but you should include textures and shaders the model is using or you will get the ugly black&white grid texture on it or the shaders won't work.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 08-21-2014 07:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Did you use the Pop'n'Fresh exporter for 3dstudio Max? If so, this problem is caused by the exporter. You can fix it by loading up each MD3 file into Npherno's MD3 Compiler, rebuilding the normals, then reexporting.

Edit: nevermind, I noticed you solved it already. However, maybe my reply can help someone else.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.