Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        GtkRadiant read/write file permissions summary

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: GtkRadiant read/write file permissions summary

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 08-07-2014 09:37 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

In an attempt to make GtkRadiant working properly and bump topic for troubles I have with Radiant, I try to summary changes I applied to Q3dev and Radiant folders:

I changed owner to current and the only one user, which was successful. Permissions for CREATOR OWNER are unchangeable, which I do not understand why (also I do not undestand, what is that permission group supposed to be used). Read-only mode is unchangeable, which it looks like it has been successfuly changed for the first time, but after reopening properties window it is still checked. I have no idea, what is wrong with that. Tried eveything...

And Radiant still doesn't work properly, it still do not want to open a map, it still do not want to work with preferences.

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 08-07-2014 09:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

There really must be something with your computer and aren't there any radiant specific forums where these questions will have a bigger chance of getting the proper notice?

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 08-07-2014 12:20 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Maybe Splash Damage, I do not really know.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 08-07-2014 01:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Windows 7 is the largest install base for GtkRadiant and I haven't seen any reports of similar issues. Whatever is going on, it is isolated to CZghost's computer.

Windows 7 read/write permissions should work just fine by default, you only need to change something if you have inadvertently changed something in the past.

I've seen issues of antivirus software being overly protective and restricting programs from accessing certain directories. Disable your antivirus software to test.

CZghost, you might want to tell us where you have Q3 and GtkRadiant installed. I'll need the exact file path.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 08-07-2014 10:18 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I am on mobile now, will tell you later, I only tell you it has no spaces in path name now.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 08-08-2014 04:46 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quake 3 development folder: E:\Documents\Q3_CZghost\Q3dev
GtkRadiant launcher folder: E:\Documents\Q3_CZghost\GtkRadiant\v1.6.4_rev20131213 (v stands for version, rev stands for revision/build date)

E:\ is my external local drive. Shall I install it in C:\ instead?

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 08-08-2014 09:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

CZghost wrote:
I am on mobile now, will tell you later

I don't know why you felt you needed to tell us this. We're not exactly on the edge of our pants waiting to hear from you. Just wait until you have all the info and then make a single reply.

Anyway, I've never installed Q3 or GtkRadiant on an external drive. Programs don't generally run well on external drives, so no way to tell if this is related to your issues. You can try installing it locally and see what happens.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 08-09-2014 02:04 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Will try it, but I can't tell you what happens. This computer is in my dad's owning and he restricted me to install every crap. However, this is not crap, so I will try it :)

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 08-21-2014 07:52 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I tried to move it to new location, edited game file to save new dir, now it sits on C: local drive in QuakeDev dir, subdirs are exactly the same. However it still works silly, tried to open museum example map, no success :( Preferences are still default ones and that it stays. Editing Windows permissions was successful, but disabling read-only mode not. Thus this happens everywhere on my local drives, will try to temporarily disable my antivirus software, but only without internet connection, sure is sure :) If it won't help, I might try to reinstall Radiant by cleaning all files from Radiant dir and making new, fresh installation...

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 10-29-2014 06:15 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, read-only attribute is not activated, tough, tried it viewing propeties of all items in the desired folders, the checkbox was unchecked. Strange... I think there must be something silly inside code of searched files (settings, entities, shaderlist, map construction code). I found out that Radiant is missing shaders in shaderlist and does not display entities, only worldspawn. Tried to view list of texture entries found only in shaderlist, it was blank. If not code of the files, at least code of the app. Tried to modify EOL format to Unix, no success. There are three options to select: Windows, Unix and Mac, which is the right to select?

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.