Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        "Hydra" FFA [Final]

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: "Hydra" [WIP]

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 03-26-2015 08:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

the cables are patch cylinders; it takes a little while to get them right. the dirt decals are by tabun, you can do a search on the forum to find them. they are truly great assets and i use them all the time.

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 03-26-2015 10:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Lovely Pat! It's getting there!

my 2 cents:
- add one or two brackets to those pipings below the ceilling; they wouldn't be able to cross those distances only by themselves
- that grating needs a frame (can be very subtil)
- I think I would expand on the high voltage machine or wrap it differently at least; it feels to me like something powerful that produces high voltage would not be a plugin into a concrete wall - I would imagine something like: http://opacity.us/image3502_control_room.htm

Maybe this entire gallery will give you some additional inspiration: http://opacity.us/gallery101_corrosive_industry.htm

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 04-07-2015 10:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@cityy: thanks, i took your suggestions.

finishing off the lower area here, so i can now show off some wider screenshots. i tried to keep the LG area a bit darker and grungier than the MH spot since it is mostly in the shade.

will compile with a smaller lightmap scale eventually. let me know what ya think!

p.s. i am having a few issues with my barrel models (made from brushes and converted to .ase), which you can see in the second shot below the billboard. i am using forcemeta because otherwise they appear fullbright in game :confused:. unfortunately the lightmaps are all blotchy and my phong shading doesn't seem to work. anyone know what's up? i did some searching on the forums but couldn't find an answer.

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 04-07-2015 11:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think these two last shots, looks very solid Pat. Colors and level of detail.

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 04-08-2015 02:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That looks legit Pat! You might want to try the water shader phantazm11 used in his map corrosion. I think it would go nicely with your mood/colors.

Edit: Can't find a picture showing it ffs.

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 04-08-2015 04:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The upper screenshot shows the dirty floor decals very clearly, IMO, there is too much of that though, unless you motivate the smears somewhat. I think you might need to add a few plants that explain the mess-ups on the floors.

In the lower screenshots your barrels look strange, mainly because you are using the tubing texture seen on the walls for the barrels too. IMO, you might need to create another texture or use some other one... one without the characteristic tube arrows. Also on the lower shot, in AEblocks I avoid having too many arrows on tubing visible... per tube only one arrow. You are showing 3 of the same kind in close proximity. I'd at the very least lose one arrow on the longer tube by rotating the patch by 180°...

The splotch of green on the sign looks nice... might be something to explore more in a few other areas... the green metal that is.

Interesting theme you are developing with Socks textures set here. Fun to see textures I recoloured actually being used :)

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 04-08-2015 11:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@hipshot: thanks! glad you like the colors now. miramar always does the trick.

@aeon: i've been trying to keep the stains near where the pipes meet the floor or near water to offer some explanation for why they are there. you're right, some of the isolated stains in the LG room look a bit strange. plants, though? i don't think that would fit my theme. i'm not really going for an abandoned look. i'd rather just use less grunge. also, will fix the arrow overload. the barrels don't look that strange to me, but it would be nice if i could incorporate some color into them without straying from sock's texture pack too much. there will definitely be more signage to come.

@cityy: you seem to really want green water instead of blue! (maybe it was someone else that suggested green before, now i'm not sure.) i will give it a try, but i might have to change my theme from water treatment to sewage treatment :).

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 04-08-2015 11:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hmm, there is just slightly too much going on for my taste in terms of color. In that 2nd shot you have green, orange, yellow, red and 2 subtil shades of blue.
Looking at it again now I also feel like the item markers don't work very well with sock's textures. It's either the resolution/pixel density or the noise level that makes it look alien, I'm not sure. Might be just me though.

Btw, talking about water treatment. I'm hoping to find one of these somewhere in your map! :D Maybe under a grating that appears like it could be opened or somewhere in the outside areas only visible through a gate/window so it's not actually reachable.

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 04-08-2015 12:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Har... when cityy suggested that "extra", I also immediately thought of having it under grates or in some view, not actually part of the playable map.

For me the number of colours is fine. And I doubt green "water" would look good.

About the tubes... in AEblocks I use two colours for side by side tubing... using Sock's default yellow arrow tubing in a few areas should be fine next to the orange ones. Incidentally... if all this is actually water treatment, IMO, blue arrow tubes would be more appropriate, since the orange it probably something toxic in reality.

I agree that the spawn pads look alien... some form of water fountain blue'ish effect... something related to water, e.g. a sieve for water drainage might actually work well as spawn point. And the JP also looks strange in the map... again alien... some water sprinkling vents that blow upwards for the JPs might be more in theme.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 04-08-2015 12:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

here's phant's shader. it's definitely a nice shader but i think i prefer the more friendly blue for this map. plus it seems to clash with the teles a bit.

maybe when the level is in beta i can edit down the color scheme a bit if it turns out to be too much.

i've really been trying to figure out where i can put one of those things, but there isn't much space for it. i guess i can chalk it up to not planning my theme early enough. there is one spot on the outside of the map that i am thinking about incorporating similar geo though.

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 04-08-2015 12:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Good that you tested the green liquid... it's ugly, so lets hurry back to blue water ;).

I am alas not that creative, but in AEblocks I used a form of water curtain for the TPs... that would probably look pretty good for yours as well. Provided you create a nice water drops falling or spray texture/shader for that. The force field modern look of the TPs, IMO, also looks slightly out of place.

Cityy mentioned the use of rivets a while back... mentioning that you only rivet metal areas when it is actually structurally required. You may like to double check your brushwork... if its a column bearing a load, keep the rivets, else fall back to the same texture without them. The rivets on the orange metal textures behind the LG IMO are borderline, behind the MH they do not make sense to me at all.

Just noted, nice crate with broken wooden planks on top... nifty detail.

Surfing the web
Surfing the web
PostPosted: 04-08-2015 01:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Is the download in the OP the most recent version? I'll give it a try when I get home

Surfing the web
Surfing the web
PostPosted: 04-08-2015 01:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Is the download in the OP the most recent version? I'll give it a try when I get home

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 04-08-2015 02:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yeah but it's just the alpha version. i'm still up for item placement feedback and general thoughts though.

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 04-09-2015 09:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I Must admit, the water doesn't work as well as I imagined it to. :D

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 04-11-2015 03:47 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Why not both? Maybe some of the pools are more contaminated than others. :)
Common "mistake" mappers do is using the same liquid texture/shader for everything in a map. I'm guilty of this as well.

I kinda liked the green water in constrast to the blue teleporter. Maybe the water is more contamined the further down into your level you go. I haven't actually played the layout though, so not sure if it makes sense in that regard. :)

Just my two cents!

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-13-2015 12:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

New pre-release? :)
I want to know whats going on to this one, it looks soo cool!
Add some :!: signs to it!

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 04-14-2015 06:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah I really want to give this map a try. Put a new release up!

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 04-15-2015 03:44 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Agreed with AndehX :up:

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 04-15-2015 04:10 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sorry to go off topic for a second here. Just have a quick question for AEon about those tp_industrial textures.
Gave them a try on my map and noticed some textures that appear aligned properly in radiant, are not aligned in game. Do you know why that is?
They're 1024x1024, but ingame, they are being scaled down to 512x512 so everything looks tiny.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 04-15-2015 03:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

haha, thanks for the interest, guys :). progress is going a bit slower than planned because i am working on two things at once. tbh, my other project is a lot more exciting right now. still, i am releasing a screenshot of a new area every wednesday to make sure i don't completely lose focus on this.

here's a side room with a cool vista out to some catwalks.

i'm thinking about changing the bouncers to yellow to remove one color from the color scheme.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 04-15-2015 04:45 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

your images are not working Pat

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 04-15-2015 06:10 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Looking really cool man, not sure about that bouncer pad shader...

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 04-15-2015 06:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

fKd in the house :up:

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-16-2015 12:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I love the framed fence! :up:

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 04-16-2015 02:17 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Absolutely outstanding! The detail is top notch! *jealousy* :P

Just a thought... Maybe you could make that floor at the bottom a little more interesting. The texture you've used looks like it would be better suited as trim around the edge of the floor, with a different texture for the floor itself.

Pat: How did you get those tp_industrial textures to work properly? I can't seem to get them to align properly. They look fine in radiant, but ingame, they're scaled down to a quater of their size...

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-18-2015 03:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sorry Pat but i need your help again... :paranoid:
How did you managed it to do the Cables (and the Frame in the last shot) soo thin?
:confused:

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 04-19-2015 02:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i'm not sure i know what you're asking, but the cables and fence frames are patch cylinders either 2 or 4 units in diameter. also, by hitting V while the patch is selected you can view its vertices. you can bend a patch 90 degrees by grabbing the vertices on one end and rotating them just like you would rotate a brush. if i'm remembering correctly there used to be a lot of good patch tutorials on dONKEY's site but it seems to be down. PM me if you need any more help, but also search around on the net for lessons because i am sure they are out there.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-20-2015 01:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh man sorry i got it.. :)
It seems Radiant has a problem displaying very small patch cylinders, but ingame it works.
I made a small pic to explain.

This is what the 3x3units cylinder looks like in Radiant. I always thougt the patch "crashed" or something...
Problem solved, THX :D

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 06-16-2015 10:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

almost done :)

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 06-16-2015 10:55 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Mmmm, so sweety pics :)

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 06-16-2015 10:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Jeah... Its alive!!! :)
Looks very cool!

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 06-16-2015 05:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Your skyline is screaming for some action. I'd add some basic structures up there in various heights and depths, to break it up a bit. It makes maps look so much better. :)

Cool shot though!

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 06-16-2015 06:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fjoggs wrote:
Your skyline is screaming for some action. I'd add some basic structures up there in various heights and depths, to break it up a bit. It makes maps look so much better.

thanks for the feedback. you're right, i think i pulled the skyline off a lot better in the MH room.

The RA room looks a little better from this angle but could still use a little work. maybe just more height variation.

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 06-17-2015 12:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Looks rather nice :)

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.