Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        MapCore's Quake 3 15th Anniversary Contest

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: MapCore's Quake 3 15th Anniversary Contest

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 10-08-2014 04:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

On December 2nd Quake 3 will celebrate its 15th anniversary. Many people have a soft spot for this classic so instead of neglecting this anniversary we want to pay tribute to this amazing game. For that reason, we partnered up with Pixologic (Zbrush), Id Software, Hammerwatch and CGTextures to bring you MapCore's Quake 3 15th Anniversary Contest which will run from October 8th to December 3rd. Check out all the details here and be sure to sign up and spread the word!

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 10-08-2014 06:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Prizes:

1st Place: Zbrush License and T-shirt/key-chain, 12-month Pro Quake Live membership, CGTextures membership (1yr), 1 Hammerwatch 4Pack, MapCore T-shirt and 150 dollars.
2nd Place: Zbrush License and T-shirt/key-chain, 6-month Pro Quake Live membership, 1 Hammerwatch 4Pack and 100 dollars.
3rd Place: Zbrush License and T-shirt/key-chain, 3-month Pro Quake Live membership, 1 Hammerwatch 4Pack and 50 dollars.
4th to 13th Place: 1-month Pro Quake Live membership.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-08-2014 07:37 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm going to submit just a box map. I'm sure to win a Quake Live pro subscription with that on account of there no longer being more than 13 active Quake 3 mappers :smirk:

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 10-08-2014 11:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

...interesting...

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 10-08-2014 02:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Maybe I should submit a box map with a pillar in the middle? Surely that would beat Eraser, knocking him down to 14th ;)

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 10-08-2014 03:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

interesting indeed...

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 10-08-2014 03:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

indeed... interesting... interesting indeed.

:ninja:

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 10-08-2014 09:12 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

KittenIgnition wrote:
Maybe I should submit a box map with a pillar in the middle? Surely that would beat Eraser, knocking him down to 14th ;)

Im pretty sure we had the exact same discussion last time we ran a contest. I think it was for the Q3W 20 Brush comp.
:disgust:

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 10-09-2014 07:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I propose you guys sign up and prove it!

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 10-11-2014 08:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm gonna give it a shot. I probably won't make a thread until I have a layout ready at least. I'm guessing since there is no deadline for signup people will be joining mostly toward the end if they think they can finish. There will probably less entries overall, but you won't have the majority of the entries bailing on the competition, like in the Maverick comps.

Just to be clear, I have to start a new map if I want to submit something for the competition, right? I can't enter with something I am currently in the middle of now?

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 10-12-2014 12:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pat Howard wrote:
I'm gonna give it a shot. I probably won't make a thread until I have a layout ready at least. I'm guessing since there is no deadline for signup people will be joining mostly toward the end if they think they can finish. There will probably less entries overall, but you won't have the majority of the entries bailing on the competition, like in the Maverick comps.

Just to be clear, I have to start a new map if I want to submit something for the competition, right? I can't enter with something I am currently in the middle of now?

It has to be a map specifically made for this contest. No remakes or edits of previously released maps. However, if it's never been released, play tested or shown in screenshots there's really no way for us to tell if it has been specifically made for the contest or not. So I guess it's a question of honor in this case :)

I would recommend signing up either way. Even if you don't finish it's cool to see everyone's WIP shots and stuff.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 10-13-2014 03:07 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Omg, awesome contest. I'm really keen on dat zbrush license. Count me in.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 10-14-2014 03:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

NBLM wrote:
Omg, awesome contest. I'm really keen on dat zbrush license. Count me in.

Looking forward to your WIP posts in the contest forum.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 10-15-2014 04:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I kinda wanna do this... but I've said this before and nothing ever happens. Don't know if I have enough time! Would love to be able to record a song to go along with it as well. I know 99% of people turn the music off but would be a cool custom bit that is probably very rarely done.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 10-15-2014 07:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just start working on it. Come up with a time schedule with deadlines for layout, brushwork, textures, etc. and stick to it.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 11-03-2014 08:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Here are some of the WIP entries to the contest so far... Still lots of time left if people still want to enter. Lots of great prizes to go around. I think a number of people are completely new to Q3 mapping, having mapped for games on entirely different engines, so this should make an interesting contest (and those of you here probably have a substantial advantage since you would be familiar with the tools and gameplay).

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 11-06-2014 02:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Great screen shots! Apart from the overly repeated texture on the lava, that first shot is stunning - good progress.

Interesting looking layouts on the next few... that last one looks crazy! Can't wait to see what that's all about.

Wish I had time for this :cry:

Keep the screenies coming mappers.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 11-09-2014 01:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

A quick WIP sceen from my map for the contest (phantq3dm6):

Will map for food.
Will map for food.
PostPosted: 11-10-2014 06:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Infernis wrote:
Prizes:

1st Place: Zbrush License and T-shirt/key-chain, 12-month Pro Quake Live membership, CGTextures membership (1yr), 1 Hammerwatch 4Pack, MapCore T-shirt and 150 dollars.
2nd Place: Zbrush License and T-shirt/key-chain, 6-month Pro Quake Live membership, 1 Hammerwatch 4Pack and 100 dollars.
3rd Place: Zbrush License and T-shirt/key-chain, 3-month Pro Quake Live membership, 1 Hammerwatch 4Pack and 50 dollars.
4th to 13th Place: 1-month Pro Quake Live membership.

I wish the prizes were more level designer centric now that I think about it. In a world where level designers are being replaced with environment artists so regularly this ends up coming off a little bit more humorous than it was likely intended. hehe

Come on I'm not the only one who noticed this alright! Don't kill the messenger here!

edit: Ok for the record I did use ZBrush to make a cave area and it does work rather well. But ZBrush is more for art than design overall.

Tsu: https://www.tsu.co/zZCastleZz
Twitter: @zZCastleZz

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 11-10-2014 08:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's why there's at least some money on the table.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 11-10-2014 08:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Do you have any suggestions in mind? I can't think of any level designer specific prizes. For Q3, I can only think of pen, grid paper, a download of GtkRadiant.

Will map for food.
Will map for food.
PostPosted: 11-11-2014 01:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
Do you have any suggestions in mind? I can't think of any level designer specific prizes. For Q3, I can only think of pen, grid paper, a download of GtkRadiant.

A Shambler or Fiend plushy, Increase the prize money, lose the ZBrush and replace it with a choice between a copy of Max or Modo. I believe Modo is more along the price range of ZBrush and I know it was a tool that was very commonly used by Id on a few projects for both level design and prop creation. I like Modo a lot and found it to be pretty useful more than once. IMHO it beats the crap out of Blender XD

Z Brush and CG texture stuff is amazing if you are an artist, in fact I might bite my lip rather than point out most of your artist types out there right now will already have these tools on hand.

ah that's my two cents.

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 11-11-2014 04:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Best thing would have been if the community donated money to the contest I think, just a few dollars adds up. I understand that everyone can't afford or want to though!

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 11-13-2014 03:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Castle wrote:
A Shambler or Fiend plushy, Increase the prize money, lose the ZBrush and replace it with a choice between a copy of Max or Modo. I believe Modo is more along the price range of ZBrush and I know it was a tool that was very commonly used by Id on a few projects for both level design and prop creation. I like Modo a lot and found it to be pretty useful more than once. IMHO it beats the crap out of Blender XD

Z Brush and CG texture stuff is amazing if you are an artist, in fact I might bite my lip rather than point out most of your artist types out there right now will already have these tools on hand.

ah that's my two cents.

Nothing wrong with speaking your mind. Especially when it's constructive. The reasoning behind this prize package is simple, these were willing to sponsor the event. I've contacted the creators of all popular packages out there and only Zbrush said yes.

Also, LD stuff is more engine work then anything else. I thought about asking Unity or Epic as well but that felt wrong for this contest.

Will map for food.
Will map for food.
PostPosted: 11-13-2014 04:49 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Infernis wrote:
Nothing wrong with speaking your mind. Especially when it's constructive. The reasoning behind this prize package is simple, these were willing to sponsor the event. I've contacted the creators of all popular packages out there and only Zbrush said yes.

Also, LD stuff is more engine work then anything else. I thought about asking Unity or Epic as well but that felt wrong for this contest.

Fair enough. Especially now that UT4 is a direct competitor in the arena FPS space that will also likely be fairly successful once it catches its stride.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 11-16-2014 02:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

We are slowly reaching the end of the competition. For that reason I've written a progress update. Be sure to check it out here. Of course we've got some screenshots as well plus a dedicated server for testing purposes. We still got a couple of weeks left so I you have too much time on your hand you can still jump in!

Last edited by AEon on 11-16-2014 06:46 AM, edited 1 time in total.Reason: lvlshot'ed the images

Who's that man, Mommy?
Who's that man, Mommy?
PostPosted: 11-16-2014 11:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@Infernis: Great use of trim textures to support the brushwork!

I don't like the pipes behind the grates in shot 3 though.

Theftbot
Theftbot
PostPosted: 11-16-2014 11:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Im sure fKd disagrees

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 11-16-2014 12:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:olo:

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 11-17-2014 12:16 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Also I disagree. For my taste it is great to protect players from burning of pipes :)

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 11-17-2014 11:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Pext wrote:
@Infernis: Great use of trim textures to support the brushwork!

I don't like the pipes behind the grates in shot 3 though.

These are not my maps but competition entries. In order:

Greg "Flipout" Ward

Daniel "Nisse" Nilsson

fKd

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 12-18-2014 06:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

We will announce the results on the 22nd of December.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 12-23-2014 12:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey guys,

So we have announced the winners late last night. I've posted the top 3 below. For the complete overview go here.

1st Place:

Geotechnic
Tom "Phantazm11" Perryman

2nd Place:

Endurance
Greg "Flipout" Ward

3rd Place:

Goldleaf
Pat Howard

Last edited by Infernis on 12-23-2014 05:30 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 12-23-2014 01:19 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

gg to all.

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 12-23-2014 03:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well done. :)

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.