Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Q4 to Q3 map conversion

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Q4 to Q3 map conversion

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 12-22-2014 11:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I returned to the idea of converting maps from Q4 into Q3. The main problem was how to translate shaders. So, this time I decided to form my set of shaders by adding a "new" shader while converting a "new" map.
So, I converted a map. I made a list of textures used in the map . Then I generated shaders semi-automatically according to some samples (for example, one sample for lights, another for walls etc). I checked them in Q3ASE and in the Q4 set of *.mtr files (Q4 shaders). I fixed all shifted textures in Radiant. I converted necessary models with their shaders and textures.
Firstly, I met "MAX_TW_VERTS" error and couldn't bypass it. I read it happens with latter versions of q3map2, so then I used q3map2 from GTKRadiat 1.6.3 set.
But I met another problem. After a full compilation the map looks like as if hasn't passed -light stage at all, I don't see any lights or shadows. And I don't know why.
When I switch lighting from LIGHTMAP to VERTEX (in the game menu) the map looks like under vertex lighting. But when I switch to LIGHTMAP I don't see those lightmaps... Why?
So, in VERTEX mode lighting is OK, only in LIGHTMAP mode I don't see lights and shadows. The problem is that this affects only LIGHTMAP mode, in VERTEX mode it looks OK (for vertex lighting).
Why?

Theftbot
Theftbot
PostPosted: 12-22-2014 11:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 12-23-2014 12:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Theftbot wrote:

That topic is not about my problem. That's about conversion. I've successfully converted the map. My problem is a wrong lighting after compilation.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 12-24-2014 08:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Map conversions aren't easy between engines and you can expect 90% of the work will be rebuilding of assets. Shaders/Materials between games are completely different, lighting behaves entirely different, and texture assets are copyrighted and you can't redistribute them. At a bare minimum, you'll have to redo all of that.

As to your problem, there are too many unknown variables here so it's impossible for any of us to know what's going on. Try checking your compile logs and see if there are any errors and maybe that will provide some clues to work on.

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 12-25-2014 09:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well... Thank you for your advice about console. I'll see.

Here are examples of the problem

Pics in LIGHTMAP mode

Pics in VERTEX mode

Theftbot
Theftbot
PostPosted: 12-25-2014 10:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Post a shader example?

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 01-15-2015 12:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

In fact it was too simple - I forgot to add lightmap layers to shaders.

But now there is another problem - is there any free *.lwo to *.md3 converter? As QUARK that I use doesn't convert these files properly.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.