Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Roughmap for Quake Live

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Roughmap for Quake Live

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 12-29-2014 07:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hi guys
This is the beta01 of my map "roughmap", no final name for it yet. Is a small medieval map with 4 deadly acid pools, thought for duel or ffa, with max 8 players. Atm only 5 main items and 6 weps, no ammo.
With a litle help from CZghost and Obsidian for my teleporter animmmap shader, all my shaders are working.
Atm, the goal is to achieve a good gameflow, which I think is a bit far yet.
All comments are welcome.
Happy 2015 for everyone!
https://www.dropbox.com/s/su5n7m6l1ll44 ... p.pk3?dl=0

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-29-2014 07:48 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Those textures look really cool :up:

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 12-29-2014 07:50 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I bet the teleporter is like A-HA =)

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 12-29-2014 09:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hipshot wrote:
I bet the teleporter is like A-HA =)

What u mean A-AH? :)

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-30-2014 12:57 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No, a-ha.
As in "taaaaake ooooon meeeeee!"

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 12-30-2014 04:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
No, a-ha.

Teleported back to the eighties...I wish...

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 12-30-2014 09:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
No, a-ha.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V-n1XgCocnc

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 12-30-2014 12:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hey, i just looked at your map. sorry if this sounds rushed but i only have a few minutes. here are some thoughts in a list mainly on how it plays in duel mode:

- good job on the hand-drawn sketchbook textures. nice to see something different like that in quake!

- the LG room is pretty rad. it's a good example of an LG that is not too accessible but not really easy to dominate either, since it's off in its own little room away from the action.

- scale seems too large but it's not a deal breaker. this may have been intentional and i can see how some people might like the bigger scale. check out maps like furious heights, blood run, toxicity, etc. for examples of common competitive scale.

- the overall item layout seems well balanced but the paths between the items are not. the two teles underneath the RA and MH are by far the quickest way to get from one to the other and i couldn't find any reason to use the other paths. if you want more information on this, see what i wrote about pathing in my Q3A Item Placement Guide:

Quote:
1.6 Pathing

Now that your armors have been placed, one of the best ways to take your map to the next level of competition is to compare all the different paths between the RA and MH. You want to make sure there isn't one path which is the clear best choice. The shortest path should be the most vulnerable, otherwise players will take it all the time and nothing interesting will happen. The best way that I have found to accomplish this is by making the shortest path into a choke point. I like to use a 256 L x 128 W hallway as my go-to dimensions for a choke point, but there are many more creative ways to create choke points too. As an alternative to a choke point, you can also adjust the entrances and exits of the path to make it further away from the items it leads out to, but I like this option less because it tends to disrupt movement flow.

As the armors get less powerful, pathing becomes less important, so I usually only seriously consider the paths between the RA and MH. But it is also good to double check the YAs as well for any paths that are really out of balance. For example, if you have two armors on the same level, you probably won't be able to keep players from taking the shortest path, but you can at least create a choke point between them which allows players to trap each other.

- the slime pits are basically death pits right now. either turn them into an instant kill or make them shallow enough to hop out. i would do the latter. death pits almost never work in tourney maps. people get pissed off when they have worked several minutes for a full stack and then accidentally fall off a ledge. the slime pits in toxicity or the lava in lost world are good examples.

- you are going to make that sky into a real skybox eventually, right? :)

overall, looks like a great start. keep it up and i think you will have an awesome finished product.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 02-08-2015 07:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Attachment:
shaked_03.jpg
Attachment:
shaked_02.jpg
Attachment:
shaked_01.jpg
Hy guys
This the (almost) last version of "roughmap" now renamed to "Shaked".
I kept the rough style, that was the inicial idea, but now with very different graphic style.
Why "almost"? Coz i expect to receive some comments from you and most sure use them to improve this map.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/od8aidw9rqpey ... d.pk3?dl=0

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-09-2015 12:53 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What a shame that the items can't be textured in the same style. The rest of it is looking absolutely great.

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 02-09-2015 02:31 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Even though I am a fan of using the least amount of textures, and assuming the scribbled look are decals... adding 2-3 more differently-coloured textures for walls, floors and trims would make the map look less mono-chromatic. The weapons are actually a nice splash of colour IMO.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 02-09-2015 02:35 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Whoa no, I completely disagree :p
Having the monochromatic look really makes it stand out IMO. Adding color dilutes the effect.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 02-09-2015 04:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Eraser wrote:
What a shame that the items can't be textured in the same style. The rest of it is looking absolutely great.

I totaly agree...items should have the same "visual" as the textures, keeping however the original vivid colors. I would love to do that, but I dont think I have time atm. About adding more colors to the wall textures, I totally desagree.
Thank you guys, I`m glad with ur nice comments.
A question about adding music to the map:
As u can see inside the .pk3 (zip) I have a folder called "sounds", but i cant hear when i play the map. This is not music, is a soundtrack that I want tro be played in loop, all time.
Inside that folder another folder called "Shaked" and inside this one, the "shaked.wav" file: mono, 16 bits, 22000 khz.
What I`m doing wrong?

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.