Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        "Ye Olde Pump" -canceled

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: "Ye Olde Pump" -canceled

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 03-16-2015 07:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

gone

Last edited by AndyW on 06-21-2015 10:18 AM, edited 16 times in total.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 03-17-2015 02:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hi, andyw. I looked at your map. There are a couple things that need fixing before people can test this. First, you only have one start location. Place 8 or 10 of them around your map evenly spread out. Second, you have a teleporter that doesn't go anywhere, which is confusing.

I noticed you also have two red armors in your map. Generally, there is only room for one. Another thing I noticed was that the scale is a little big in the outdoor areas. It's not so big that it's a problem, but just keep studying scale as you make more maps. Oversized maps can be problematic because they make the hitscan weapons, e.g. Lightning and rail, overpowered.

Keep up the hard work. If this is your first map then it's quite impressive.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 03-18-2015 03:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thx Pat!
Last night i did an re-work of the outside areas and added 10 spots for spawning. Im still thinking about a good spot for the teleporter-spawn. 2nd RA removed! :)
Strange stuff happened when i added 4 doors to the map (i always ended up in a void-styled gxf-error -BUT JUST IN SPEC MODE). As i removed the doors the "BUG" was gone.

EDIT: I will post a fixed version on Friday 03.20.15

Last edited by AndyW on 03-18-2015 11:37 AM, edited 1 time in total.

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 03-18-2015 04:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Recheck if you are creating the doors in correct fashion: http://ws.q3df.org/level_design/doors/ :)

I'm hoping to get my hands on your map with the new release. I'm currently moving to a new place and am stuck with my mac only.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 03-18-2015 04:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

cityy wrote:
Recheck if you are creating the doors in correct fashion: http://ws.q3df.org/level_design/doors/ :)

I'm hoping to get my hands on your map with the new release. I'm currently moving to a new place and am stuck with my mac only.

Hahaa... Im also moving to a new Appartment end of next week! After 8 Years livin in a Ghetto (Mannheim-Jungbusch / In Germany you will call this a Ghetto, its the worst Place in Mannheim) im moving to a nice area! :) :)
I will miss the Industry-touch in the Harbor-Area. But i dont will miss all the alcoholics and medic/heroin junkies yellin 24 hours a day.

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 03-18-2015 06:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Geez! It wasn't that bad for me despite living in east germany. :D

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 03-18-2015 07:25 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Living in a place you dont like sucks :(
But sometimes that "dirt & human misery" put me in a mood thats quite good for my creativity. :sly:

But i will miss PETER, hes an oldschool-alcoholic living in a "Betty Ford styled clinic" right next to my door.
Hes always singing like: "Oooh du schöner Westerwald"... or "Ja die Liebe, ja die Liebe, das ist des Herzens Glück"
Everytime i felt sad Peter tooks a smile on my Face when i heard him singin in the streets! :up:

Check out his insane dancing skills!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U5sBtV4ADy0

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 03-18-2015 11:11 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's cool, but you just don't mess with Technoviking in Berlin (he will point at you angrily and drink from inverted bottles):

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 03-18-2015 11:21 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

OMG :alert:
Real Vikings don't use chemical drugs! :dork:

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-19-2015 01:23 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

obsidian wrote:
That's cool, but you just don't mess with Technoviking in Berlin (he will point at you angrily and drink from inverted bottles)

And earn $13,000 in payment after suing the person who recorded and uploaded that video to YouTube.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 03-20-2015 05:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

aargh

Last edited by AndyW on 03-20-2015 01:17 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 03-20-2015 11:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hey, man. looks like it's playing well now. don't worry too much about the spawn points. they seem fine now, and spawn locations are the least important thing in FFA, even behind ammo.

the quad plays well because the map is really big.

i would probably switch LG and PG because LG is the most powerful weapon on the map and i'm worried the LG+RA combo is overpowered. either way, center the weapon on the bridge in line with the RA. it's a pain to go into the corner and get it as it is. note: that bridge will rarely be used for traveling through the room since it's mid-level on the perimeter. it will mainly be used for getting fighting angles while fighting for the RA.

the bouncer under the MH up to the top level still seems weird because 1.) by making a short chute up the the first level you give players the idea that it's only going that high, and 2.) i almost always use it to get to the MH anyway. why not turn it into a 45-degree angled bouncer that goes straight to the MH? like this but in the corner.

looks like you are ready to detail it up! i'll warn you, if you keep the base texture set your map might not get too much attention from some people who don't like old textures. in the cgtextures age, it's almost impossible to impress people with the q3 stock textures or even old custom texture sets that are low res.

you could try phantazm's recent texture set that he created for his map, geotechnic, if he's okay with it. i think it would fit your theme nicely. of course sock's industrial set is an option, but there are already two maps in progress on this forum using that set, so you might not be as inclined to use it right now. that said, sock's set is very adaptable and you could use different colors to set your map apart.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 03-20-2015 11:19 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hey, man. looks like it's playing well now. don't worry too much about the spawn points. they seem fine now, and spawn locations are the least important thing in FFA, even behind ammo.

the quad plays well because the map is really big.

i would probably switch LG and PG because LG is the most powerful weapon on the map and i'm worried the LG+RA combo is overpowered. either way, center the weapon on the bridge in line with the RA. it's a pain to go into the corner and get it as it is. note: that bridge will rarely be used for traveling through the room since it's mid-level on the perimeter. it will mainly be used for getting fighting angles while fighting for the RA.

the bouncer under the MH up to the top level still seems weird because 1.) by making a short chute up the the first level you give players the idea that it's only going that high, and 2.) i almost always use it to get to the MH anyway. why not turn it into a 45-degree angled bouncer that goes straight to the MH? like this but in the corner.

looks like you are ready to detail it up! i'll warn you, if you keep the base texture set your map might not get too much attention from some people who don't like old textures. in the cgtextures age, it's almost impossible to impress people with the q3 stock textures or even old custom texture sets that are low res.

you could try phantazm's recent texture set that he created for his map, geotechnic, if he's okay with it. i think it would fit your theme nicely. of course sock's industrial set is an option, but there are already two maps in progress on this forum using that set, so you might not be as inclined to use it right now. that said, sock's set is very adaptable and you could use different colors to set your map apart.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 03-20-2015 12:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Im thinking about to delete the Bouncer near the MH and maybe move the Crates.
I personally like the MH spot, its fun to strafe an circle into that corner, and you can get away really fast via the teleporter.
To me the Map feels quite small, maybe for 1o1. I think there are 2 Main Routes. And it seems the Main Action is in the "teleporter-spawn-outside" area. The middle of the map is just like a lift/staircase :/
This will happen if you start building a map with no planning :(
I will finish this one and try to do the best i can.
Im already thinking about the next one :D
And im thinking to do an small "id" -sign Tattoo on my right Ankle. :)
Last Year i did a small "Derek Riggs" Logo to my left Ankle. ( The great Artist that did all the IRON MAIDEN paintings till mid. 90´s )
Love under the skin :)
Quake, i love you! :id:

Wie konnte ich es nur so lange ohne dich aushalten??
Achtung!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdIP3hyxi3k

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 03-21-2015 10:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

can someone please help me getting socks textures to work ?
The scale seems 8 times bigger than the normal stock textures. When i do a 64x64 brush just a small part of the texture is shoen. :(
Im a total newbie on texture stuff :( :(

Boink!
Boink!
PostPosted: 03-21-2015 12:04 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You will need to manually set the texture scale for each brush to 0.125 instead of 0.5. When you clone that brush the scale is remembered.

I only recently found out that you can scale the textures on each brush differently, and they will all be fine in Q3A... uncanny. In the prefs of GTKradiant (1.6.4) somewhere the default texture scale can be changed if need be. E.g. if you had a map only consisting of hires textures. But since most of your textures seem to be stock id, you will need to fix the texture scaling on a per face level for the hires ones.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 03-21-2015 12:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Cool :!:
Wow, what a difference in game! :ducky:
Thanks! :up:

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 03-21-2015 01:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

hit "P" in radiant to open the preferences. in the Other>Brush section you can set the default texture scale (in radiant 1.6 or later only).

if you are using hi res textures, this is definitely the way to go.

if you are using a version of radiant early than 1.6, you can make a 256x256 version of the texture and make that the qer_editorimage using a shader. however, this is a little more time-consuming so i'd suggest just using the first method. i've never actually tried this method, i just remember sock mentioning it. i guess it could come in handy if you want to release a hi res version of your map and a low res version without rescaling all the textures.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 03-23-2015 04:13 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

A few changes.
-Mid jumper is gone.
-Added small pit for SG

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 03-24-2015 03:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Finally decided to do and "Oil-refinery" Theme.
I want to place 1 or 2 cool Oil-pumps in the outside areas (not inside the playing-area, just eyecandy) and some smokestacks.
I will do 2 releases on this Map:
-1st with "stock-textures" (Think mid April)
-2nd with "Socks hi-res textures"

Tomorrow i start moving to a new appartment, maybe im in the "VOID" for 1-2 weeks! :)

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 03-24-2015 02:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 03-24-2015 03:16 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Looks pretty good! I think you should consider using a better textureset though. The stock Quake 3 textures looks incredibly dated these days.

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 03-26-2015 10:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Your geometry and scaling looks great! It really encourages to grab the map and discover what's going on. Keep it up (y)

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-09-2015 12:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Im Back :) -today the "Cable Guy" fixed my DSL in the new appartment :alert:
After doing "real-life-brushwork" the last 2 weeks i will start to finish my map today.
Seems that i need an new Computer, my old Intel DUO T2330 / 2GB RAM / Radeon X2300 sounds like an Jet-Engine... :cry:
I think i have to grab an old machine for around 80 bucks bevore my laptop finally dies...
No money no murder... :olo:

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-11-2015 07:34 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have to upgrade my ImageShack account :/

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 04-11-2015 08:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Just use dropbox.com or copy.com Andy.

Edit: Just checked the shots. Looks promising! Are you going to switch to sock's textures or did you decide not to do so?

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 04-11-2015 08:53 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yea, I moved from ImageShack to Dropbox when found out that awesome service. I use it for sharing maps and screenshots. Google Drive is also good, mainly for sharing files...

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-11-2015 10:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hey THX!
Yes, i will finally switch to Socks Textures! :)

Theftbot
Theftbot
PostPosted: 04-11-2015 10:43 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-11-2015 12:20 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If someone want to take a look, its with Bot support :)
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0az5brqe0dr8s ... 3.pk3?dl=0 LINK FIXED, PK3 NOW WORKING

THIS WILL BE THE LAST RELEASE WITH STOCK-Q3 TEXTURES!!!

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-11-2015 03:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-12-2015 01:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Quadfactory updated!

I will spend the rest of the night to fit those Hazard-Stripes on the stairs near Quad.
I know this will be pain :cry:

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 04-13-2015 03:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Firstly I would like to say, excellent map! I love the design and you got very creative with the detail. Detail is, by far, the hardest thing for me to do. I don't have a very creative mind.
Anyway, there are a few things I would change/fix, which I will detail here:

Firstly, when making detail like this, move the brush back just a tiny bit so you don't get z-fighting (2 brushes fighting to be drawn)

I'd create a seperate brush just for this texture, because it looks a little silly when you can see the texture repeating. I would also add some trim to that platform, and possibly the ramp to spice it up a little:

In the same area, I would add pillars as the ceiling structure just looks like its floating.

These raised spawn points for weapons etc, should not interfere with the player as it can hurt gameplay flow. I'd just make them flat, or make it so the player doesn't intersect with them:

This area is a little bare. You should add a weapon spawn to this room. Also, not sure what that is on the floor. I've seen them dotted around the map. If they're supposed to represent player spawns, I would personally remove them for same reason as mentioned above with the shotgun spawn. If you really want to keep them. Make them non-solid so they don't interfer with gameplay.

Again (although not as bad because of the area its in) Make it flat, or non-solid. (or just lower it so it doesn't protrude as much..)

These need to be clipped off. You should be able to run along walls smoothly without being stopped by details like this:

Extend this trim all the way...

This needs trim, like the floor below...

Add trim to this curve too so it matches up with trim thats already there...

You need to apply the nodraw shader to all faces of this brush, except the front face.

Other than the points I mentioned above, this is a pretty solid map. Is this your first map? If so, its far better than my first...

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 04-13-2015 07:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Thx for your feedback AndehX!
This is the first map that i will finish. I started to play around with editors in doom & duke 3d times. When Q2 came out i started to get more into it, at this time i used QuArK 5. Then again when Q3 came out i started again, this time with q3radiant 202 & the great tutorials by D@ngerzone ( i think M. Kupfer was his name).
But i never made it to a release.
It was more "playing around" and testing how stuff works.
I do know nothing about shaders, modeling, detail brushes ... :paranoid:
This map is my first try since 2006 (in 2006 i started a small layout that seemed to be playable but my computer died)

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 04-13-2015 07:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Bit of advice for you then. Every brush in your map should be a "detail brush" except the brushes that seal your map from the void. This will improve the efficiency of the map and reduce the compile time.

Shaders are difficult for the average person to learn. The best way to learn is to copy a shader for an effect that you know (like plasma effect on the plasma gun) and apply/change it however you need.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.