Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Making new models

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Making new models

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 03-28-2015 05:46 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I am preparing assets for expertimental map of our backyard, I have downloaded some textures and sounds, but I would like to make some models (trees, cars, computer). Ï downloaded Blender to do that (freeware), but I'm looking for some tuts to make lowpoly models and convert them to ASE (which I use as template to convert it to MD3 later with Qdata)...

That experimental map would be testing how well realistic realworld place would work in Quake 3 using realworld templates and textures (Maxell did it years ago with his primary school). I know you said "It won't work well" - I want just to try it, how well it can be made to be able to play in.

Now I want to make some base shapes without texturing yet - some trees, cars, computer with assets to my room and other goodies found in real life. Do someone know any tutorials to start with?

Surfing the web
Surfing the web
PostPosted: 03-28-2015 07:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You must have a very large and relatively complicated garden if you want to have fun in it as a Quake map. I doubt that anyone would want to play on a simple lawn. Anyway, I'm looking forward to it

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 03-28-2015 08:08 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It won't be designed to gameplay, but visuals. Like Maxell, I will be testing how far the engine can go in visuals. If you are interested in this project, visit Maxell's websites http://mxl.cz/ and search for the map School that was the kickstarter for me...

Last edited by CZghost on 03-29-2015 12:46 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 03-28-2015 09:19 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

CZghost, it would probably be a good idea to make and release an "ordinary" Q3 map and learn all the ins and outs of the engine before even considering a project like this.

But look who I'm talking to. Never mind.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 03-28-2015 09:56 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That experiment is run on a very long trace, it's making may cost number of months, maybe even few years. Also it would be so boring to focus only on making this one so don't worry, some ordinary releases may pop up during the experiment... Right now I have a layout for tourney map just as Photoshop template, when I will have more time (maybe during Easter) I will start turning it to playable map. If you want to see the pre-early layout before making, PM me :)

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 03-28-2015 12:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Almost all real-life maps (about 95%) turned out to not be playable with Q3A's physics.
They just don't go well together.
While Maxell's models (your link doesn't work, I searched it), especially the tree models look very nice, I have high doubts that the map itself plays well on TDM/FFA. It could bring it on CounterStrike. Never played that, though.
If I were you, I'd concentrate on a single map, ideally the gamestyle you prefer and have the most knowledge of its mechanics.

Theftbot
Theftbot
PostPosted: 03-28-2015 11:33 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Are they static models?

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 03-29-2015 12:47 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Sorry I didn't know his hosting doesn't support www in the front of the hostname... Corrected now...

http://mxl.cz/q3maps - there you can download the school map. It has no bot AAS file, so it would be playable on LAN party only. On YouTube video someone commented that it was not designed to fast gameplay for pro players, but for visuals to show, how far the engine can actualy go in render. The map do not lag for me, it all runs good. There are two secrets in the map and number of easter eggs. I won't spoil them here, just say it's obvious and visible for each player.

If you want to give some hints, I will PM :)

Surfing the web
Surfing the web
PostPosted: 03-29-2015 09:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I already spotted many eastereggs in the video. School is indeed a pretty impressive map, but I think you would need a lot of experience to create such a map. The warp-hole to another dimension for example. I wish you good luck, spend the next few years of your life working on an unplayable map, but I doubt that you'll succeed.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.