Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Screenshots

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Screenshots

Multidirectional
Multidirectional
PostPosted: 05-15-2010 06:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

edit

Last edited by skinNCNmaster on 12-21-2011 07:56 PM, edited 1 time in total.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 05-15-2010 07:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Seriously. You could make a killer freestyle defrag map out of something like this. :P *HINTTT

Team Event -O- Horizon

NoGhost Map Making Competition 2 (June 2010)

Multidirectional
Multidirectional
PostPosted: 05-15-2010 09:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

um so old.. whats a defrag map ? some sort of an FFA?

Eh?
Eh?
PostPosted: 05-16-2010 01:39 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

"odium obviously knows little about patch optiimization".

Yeah, shame I work on next gen mapping engines that make Q3 and its patches look like preschool stuff, fuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu...

Stop seeing everything as slander you muppet. The reason its obviously not playable is, well, obvious. Theres no gameflow, no doors, no platforms, nowhere to walk, nothing to do etc... Its a tech map, not a playable one. Also for somebody so big headed about his simple patches you don't half suck at texturing and aligning them lol.

You really do need to relax bro.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 05-16-2010 05:45 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

skinNCNmaster wrote:
um so old.. whats a defrag map ? some sort of an FFA?

A defrag map is a map that can be played in the DeFrag mod. As the name suggests, there is no fragging. Instead, the gameplay is split up into 3 factions: Freestyle, Runs, and fast caps.

Freestyle is where a player uses weapons to perform tricks in one of the many freestyle maps available today. These players take advantage of "overbounces", jump pads, slants, etc. to do some crazy stuff.

Some examples of freestyling:

Map: cos1_beta7b
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XSY8l93FGAU&fmt=22

Map: 17++
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-Z0lHmJu9pk&fmt=22

One of me on egypt-fs:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O4l1hIm8PeA&fmt=22

Runs time a player as he or she makes his or her way through the map, start to finish. These maps in simplest form could be considered obstacle courses, and the players try to complete it as quickly as possible.

Examples of runs:

Map: dfwc2010-2
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=916p6Y3GMR4&fmt=22

Video: Trixo - by Oliskillz - Dfwc2008 Highlights
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SK7X4aM6GFA&fmt=22

Fast caps are, as the name implies, fast captures. A player is timed as he or she captures the flag from one base to another in any ctf map.

Example of Fast Caps:

Map: q3wcp5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lYtPo62pqVY&fmt=22

Anyway, if you want anymore information, feel free to contact me by pm or msn at: qlanthem@live.com.

:)

Team Event -O- Horizon

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 05-16-2010 06:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

/me detected shameless advertising :olo:

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 05-16-2010 11:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

skinNCNmaster wrote:
of course it does hehe.... its an experiment.. thus far.. though, the scale is fine, as a single room.. theres lots of potential there for just about anything.

that's a killer shot.

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 05-17-2010 08:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

cityy wrote:

/me wonders if he had the text prepared or did it on the fly :yawn:

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 05-17-2010 10:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

jal_ wrote:
cityy wrote:

/me wonders if he had the text prepared or did it on the fly :yawn:

I did it on the fly. ^^ I simply felt a more lengthy description of the mod was necessary considering skin asked what a defrag map was.

Team Event -O- Horizon

Multidirectional
Multidirectional
PostPosted: 05-17-2010 11:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

so theyre either incredibly long tunnels for running through for best time... not my style :_

the freestyle map reminds me of a skate park, something more up my alley. :D will see, thanks for the info. releasing gtctf4te today..

Señor Shambler
Señor Shambler
PostPosted: 05-17-2010 02:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Not too sure about the "cage"? I tried to make wires holding the crate up but it will require a fair amount of time to get right.

Multidirectional
Multidirectional
PostPosted: 05-17-2010 07:38 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

kaz your scenery always has an air of professional realistic

Last edited by skinNCNmaster on 12-21-2011 07:57 PM, edited 3 times in total.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 05-18-2010 08:03 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Skin...maybe you haven't got to it yet, but for texturing heavily edited patches these days I tend to .ase stuff and re-texture in blender...or tbh, just make complex stuff as models in the first place as it's quicker in the long run :) Nice curves though.
Kaz is this part of the same level or something new? I have really liked the last couple of shots you have posted.

Multidirectional
Multidirectional
PostPosted: 05-19-2010 01:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

been searching through the hotkeys for the insert/add row column as well as the redisperse intermediate rows,, cant find them..

redisperse intermediate columns and redisperse rows are there,,, anyone know how to make hotkeys for the other ones? the main thing that makes patch editing slow is the lack of these hotkeys.

and after testing.. afaik.. the two hotkeys that are there.. dont work

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 05-19-2010 01:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

im having trouble to add something here...

any suggestions? its a cave/ruins theme

Multidirectional
Multidirectional
PostPosted: 05-19-2010 01:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

stalagtites and mites...
a pool of water..
bats hanging from the ceiling.. a whole pile of them..
a ruined altar or an old well..
http://www.januindus.com/microconf07/ajanta-caves-05.jpg
some bones..
a leprechaun!

ya know, if youre interested.. i can do a bit of rock work for the map.. i have a unique terrain hand.. anyone who saw the pondlife file before i lost it will attest. Apart from the patch work above.. a few hours in your map would be fun.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 05-19-2010 02:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

^Ghost wrote:
im having trouble to add something here... any suggestions? its a cave/ruins theme

Caves don't usually have such a wide area with a low ceiling like that. What is there to support the weight of the rock like that? See if you can create some extra height to the ceiling, maybe even open it up to the sky in some parts. Pool of water with a little run-off. Fissure in the floor leading to a bottomless abyss.

Check out the National Geographic for some cave photos.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 05-19-2010 03:53 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Recently I started a 9day mapping competition for Urban Terror, These will be regular competitions where entrants have 9days (1 week/2 weekends) to create a scene specifically directed at detail.
theres no brush/model limit, the only limit is /r_speeds must be under around 45k

heres a picture of my finished entry :]

The scene theme for this one was Alleyways

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 05-19-2010 06:47 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Interlopers.com has a similar thing with the source engine. I like the fence texture. The sky is kinda boring though.

omg a lurker posting!

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 05-19-2010 09:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@^ghost, I agree with Obsidian here. I would add rubble, boulders around the base of the cave walls. Looks like a gang of cleaners have been in and swept the floor clean.

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 05-20-2010 06:27 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

thx for the input, once i get the basic structure and gameplay down ill work on these details.

Multidirectional
Multidirectional
PostPosted: 05-20-2010 03:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:D inspiring skybox in dragonspire

hey delirium fabulous scene.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 05-21-2010 06:27 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

you keep on trying to pimp that game...

Swift and Deadly
Swift and Deadly
PostPosted: 05-23-2010 03:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I was working on rrctf4 and was having a little trouble deciding how I want to alter a few things so I went in and started looking at some old map files on my hdd and the following screenshots are what I was looking at in the editor for a little help. Also, these shots are from rrctf3 of which I forgot all about until just this morning. Maybe I might try to finish this one before I continue with rrctf4.

Any-who...These are from the central area, of which (atm) is the only part of the map I have worked on.

Attachment:
rr3_wip.jpg
rr3_wip.jpg [ 67.85 KB | Viewed 366 times ]

Attachment:
rr3_wip1.jpg
rr3_wip1.jpg [ 95.35 KB | Viewed 391 times ]

Attachment:
rr3_wip2.jpg
rr3_wip2.jpg [ 58.9 KB | Viewed 416 times ]

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 05-23-2010 12:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The Buda Reformed Church

I always try to take a ton of pictures of places I visit and this is one church I have loved since the first time I saw it 2 years ago. A beautiful church with an unusual floor plan crowned with vibrant coloured tiles and various architectural symmetry lines. I have been wanting to create a photo album for this church for some time, but only recently got all the background information I needed. I know this is a screenshot thread but I assumed someone might be interested in the images for inspiration or reference.

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 05-23-2010 01:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The tower looks very different to the rest of the church - regarding the brick work.. It somehow doesn't fit in the "layout" of the church since churches mostly are a place of symmetry. When I saw the pic first I wondered what could have happened to it but then I saw the floor plan and figured it was intended to be like that. Now I am just confused :toothy: Have parts of the church been destroyed back in the past?
I like your galleries sock - I'm visiting them regularely :)

Multidirectional
Multidirectional
PostPosted: 05-23-2010 02:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

the dark brick is dirty, the light has been pressure washed*(though the clean and the dirty/west/east, fitz the paradigm... beautiful place, where on earth did you magic up those architectural drawings? The side drawing of the arches within from without, talented sketcher/archi-tech'd

hey soc, i'd like to take you to see a skybox active in wizard101 to chat about the construction of it, if you're interested (it'l involve a dl of the client, and hush hush, my pw.... anywho not pimping a game, genuinely interested in the map stuff and potential of performing some of the same effects in q3(wizard101 itself has much more potential than theyve developed or determined actually)

the skybox has a dragon in its outer hull, towering above on a mountain
then there are maybe seven layers of clouding moving in both directions some of which are tiered vertically and func rotating (akin}fog from leafland, filling vertical down, fading into vertical up/tiered..

purpose:inclusion of same sort of skybox effects into my comp entry

anywhere, thanks and thank thanks

Mercenary
Mercenary
PostPosted: 05-23-2010 02:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Delirium wrote:
Recently I started a 9day mapping competition for Urban Terror, These will be regular competitions where entrants have 9days (1 week/2 weekends) to create a scene specifically directed at detail.
theres no brush/model limit, the only limit is /r_speeds must be under around 45k

heres a picture of my finished entry :]

The scene theme for this one was Alleyways

That's pretty. I do play UrT sometimes, so maybe I'll play it someday :)

That screenshot is taken with the client with per pixel shaders support, right?

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 05-23-2010 04:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

jal_ wrote:
That screenshot is taken with the client with per pixel shaders support, right?

whats that?

cheers, more pics plus download here http://gotdelirium.com/maps/maps.html

Swift and Deadly
Swift and Deadly
PostPosted: 05-24-2010 06:54 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I like the pic sock, really does help with some ideas :toothy: .
Looking at the outside of that church gives me some ideas on how I could implement some of that in way of trim in the map I just posted about with the screenies up a couple posts.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 05-24-2010 01:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@cityy, brickwork is different because of an unfinished maintenance work. The reason I liked the church so much is because it does not look or feel like a traditional church layout. The central dome and some of the furniture was damaged during ww2, but otherwise the building survived intact. I have a couple more galleries, so hopefully a couple more updates soonly :)

@skinNCNmaster, the talented sketcher/archi-tech'd is Samu Pecz. Page 3 deals with the early/final drawings he did for the church layout. I am planning to move country (UK->Canada) this week so my time is short and I cannot help you with wizard101 at the moment.

@roughrider, lets see some screenshot updated! :)

@Delirium, have you thought about putting your most recent/best work to the top of your maps page? maybe a small write up on how you made the map, design ideas, sketches etc. It is always interesting to see/hear the process, like early stuff, progress shots.

Multidirectional
Multidirectional
PostPosted: 05-24-2010 01:34 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

moved here within ten weeks(the competition deadline)? :D i hope, plenty of time, which province you settling in?

Last edited by skinNCNmaster on 05-25-2010 07:38 AM, edited 1 time in total.

I'm the dude!
I'm the dude!
PostPosted: 05-24-2010 05:40 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sock wrote:
I am planning to move country (UK->Canada) this week

High Five! o/\o

You need to learn about hockey, wear a denim jacket over plaid shirt (Canadian tuxedo) and be able to say things like, "aboot" and "eh?"

Swift and Deadly
Swift and Deadly
PostPosted: 05-25-2010 06:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think someone misread
Quote:
I am planning to move country (UK->Canada) this week
and turned it into ten weeks :dork:

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 05-25-2010 06:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Please tell me you're gonna live with Ricky and Bubbles ;)

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.