Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Fog shader

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Fog shader

visual prowess
visual prowess
PostPosted: 07-05-2015 06:05 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

So I want to use a custom fog shader in a map. Here's the shader:

Code:
textures/bacon/seafog
{
   qer_editorimage textures/sfx/fog_blue.tga
   surfaceparm   trans
   surfaceparm   nonsolid
   surfaceparm   fog
   surfaceparm   nolightmap
   qer_nocarve
   fogparms ( 0.4 0.5 0.9 ) 384

}

I took this shader directly from another fog shader, which I tested in game, and works. However when I try mine, it shows notex on the fog brush, and the console says "trying seafog.TGA". The other for shader I took it from (q3wcp16), does not have a "seafog.tga" in the textures folder for that map. Am I missing something here? Why doesn't this work? I tried renaming "seafog" to other words and I get the same result.

I could just use q3wcp16's fog shader, but the problem is I need a different distance to opaque than that one uses.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 07-06-2015 12:06 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It says "trying seafog.tga" because if the shader "seafog" doesn't exist, it'll look for an actual texture file with that name.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 07-06-2015 01:05 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

@Bacon: First, did you include your shader file to shaderlist.txt? If so, you should see a white border arond the shader image (in your case the missing one) - this means it is a shader and compiler will consider it as shader and take its parameters.
Second: If you want to have the texture with FOG written on the surface in the editor, you must take the existing one (in your case the blue one) or make one yourself. For using default you have to specify qer_editorimage general directive in the shader, if you want to make your own editor texture, best is to name it like the shader (unless you have much more fog shaders that have similar settings)...

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 07-06-2015 03:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Did you use seafog, or bacon/seafog? If it's trying seafog, it's looking for textures/seafog, not textures/bacon/seafog.

visual prowess
visual prowess
PostPosted: 07-06-2015 10:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well it worked finally after I renamed my shader file bacon.shader to zzbacon.shader. :confused: This game is wack. Thanks for the help though anyways guys.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.