Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Interesting landscapes made in GTKRadiant?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Interesting landscapes made in GTKRadiant?

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 08-28-2015 04:01 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hi,

What sort of outdoor landscape maps have been designed to be some really nice detail?

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 08-28-2015 04:07 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The best approach for landscape is not by making it using brushes in GtkRadiant, but by using the heightmap terrain generation tools.

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 08-28-2015 04:44 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

An alternate way of making terrain :

http://www.simonoc.com/pages/design/mp/pom.htm

It works well, but requires some practice, good textures and good shaders.

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 08-28-2015 06:48 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The heightmap generated terrain (terrain entity) is the old way to make a landscape map in quake3 and it does not work in versions earlier than 1.27g (the one Team Arena came with - you can notice Team Arena first has landscape maps in its install, baseq3 does not)

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 08-28-2015 11:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Y'all are acting weird, thinking if you make terrain from a heightmap then it can't be touched again. You can remove the flags from the entity, then turn it into a func_group or worldspawn, and use dp2 on it then. Making terrain manually is kinda absurd, though even if you do use heightmaps it might be necessary to tweak individual brushes on your own.

I use easygen'd terrain all the time, then just use alpha brushes instead.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 08-28-2015 12:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hmm, I can't think of as far as flat surfaces, a sky box to begin with.

As for a sphere?

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 08-28-2015 02:55 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

richfromlondon wrote:
Hmm, I can't think of as far as flat surfaces, a sky box to begin with.

As for a sphere?

You're talking about the sky ?

I remember in the SP mod "outpost" that the artist managed to mix a mountain horizon (done with a skybox) with the quake 3 generated sky.

If you want a spherical sky of some sort, you'll have to model it manually and then use a technique like skyportals maybe ?

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 08-30-2015 02:33 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm interested in making a sphere in a seperate sky box with a star/space texture to represent a planet in it. The scene would be used once the shuttle leaves the ship, a cutscene.

I imagine that is one way of doing that with the same map?

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 08-30-2015 03:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

This is technically possible in the Q3 engine :)

Theftbot
Theftbot
PostPosted: 08-30-2015 09:47 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 09-01-2015 04:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hmm, why Blender, I have used it in the past years ago for Ocean animation. But I wouldn't really know how to create much a landscape in it.

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 09-01-2015 05:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

richfromlondon wrote:
Hmm, why Blender, I have used it in the past years ago for Ocean animation. But I wouldn't really know how to create much a landscape in it.

You'll have to learn how to properly UV unwrap your terrain to make it look good, but I think there is good potential for nice visuals. The only problem are the collisions and player clip generation ...

This is not Æon!
This is not Æon!
PostPosted: 09-01-2015 10:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I also use models for my terrain, you can look at the result here
http://lvlworld.com/review/id:2291

Not very big though.

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 09-01-2015 12:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

richfromlondon wrote:
It really depends on what you're trying to achieve, the simplest terrain is just a subdivided flat plane that has a few hills pulled from it. But that can also be done using a brush tri-soup (which is what a terrain entity is when made using GtkRadiants own terrain generator), so you're not really gaining anything from using a model as your terrain.

You could do a combination of both, use trisoup for ground and then drop large models in to make it look interesting, that takes care of collision issues (which D-Meat alluded to) and add visual interest. Your biggest challenge is always going to be occlusion regardless, especially on open terrains; a brush-based terrain entity can deal with that better than a big-assed model.

The upshot of this is that you have to figure out what you want to do FIRST and THEN tailor your approach to that based on what you're comfortable doing.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 09-02-2015 04:28 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Considering I haven't been successful with Icarus scripting, there aren't any tutorials for Elite force, I did try the Jedi Academy forums, they tried, but simple walking didn't work out. So as to how to load into another section or map, I don't know.

I could use a default Elite force terrain I found via a training map for the player. I could just use that, and place the spacecraft there with some NPC's standing around.

I don't know.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 09-02-2015 08:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

As for the example given, that was created using Blender? I have a copy of 2.63 on my pc, from last year. I think the current versions are still supporting Windows XP.

Eitherway it doesn't matter, 2.63 is fine. A basic sphere could be a planet model, since I can't really work with Icarus scripting for sending the shuttlepod anywhere, I could only delete the rotation of it once it leaves the bay, as it drops from an arm. Then arranging another camera around it was quite hassle to get something to change.

If anything I've wanted to try and create a character or something with blender. I may try soon with it.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 09-03-2015 04:58 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I tried a sphere, scaled a little here and there, I did subdivide it a few times. None of that worked for importing into the Radiant program. :sly:

Attachments:
planetsphere.JPG
planetsphere.JPG [ 104.47 KB | Viewed 572 times ]

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 09-03-2015 05:42 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

.obj format is supported for mapobjects. It's very basic stuff, export is very hard to fail. Have you UV unwrapped and textured your sphere correctly ?

Also, the name of your material is usually exported to the pathway to your shader (ex : name your material : textures/mymap/sphere)

Theftbot
Theftbot
PostPosted: 09-03-2015 08:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 09-03-2015 08:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Can't I just add in the object as a quake file without the need to do any extra tasks. I thought that would be fine, Hmm, I never thought to do any texturing there.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 09-03-2015 09:35 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Not many programs can export to q3 map format - if you make anything externally, it will have to be converted to a compatible model format: .ase, .obj, .lwo (I know very little about this format).

It has to be UV mapped and textured and etc. outside of radiant; all you can do in radiant is scale, rotate, and replace the textures (and spawnflags and etc.).

Theftbot
Theftbot
PostPosted: 09-03-2015 09:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

In slightly older versions of Blender there is a q3 .map exporter.
As for models they need Materials, uv's

The hell good boy
The hell good boy
PostPosted: 09-04-2015 04:33 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

For Camaro model I followed up remaking from a web tutorial I used exporting to OBJ format and then I had to do some tweaks (for example size). Even to just load the model in Radiant it has to be textured directly for the mesh, not a link to material. For such tweaks I used MilkShape 3D to convert the model to MD3 format (both Blender and MS3D do not support ASE export and import). The main weak sign of MD3 format is that it has hardcoded path to the model, so if it is in slightly different folder or you did a misspell, it won't work. Also it is binary format, so any text edits will trash whole model. I am using MD3 format just because I do not have OBJ->ASE or BLEND->ASE convertor. If I had some ASE exporter for Blender, I could pretty easily export the original BLEND file to ASE. But I don't so I made the Camaro model this way... Maybe I will also download some MD3->ASE convertor or MS3D->ASE convertor or just ASE import/export plugin for MS3D to make tweaks like dividing model to multiple meshes from a single mesh or conjucting multiple meshes to single easily...

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 09-04-2015 05:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

CZghost wrote:
... I am using MD3 format just because I do not have OBJ->ASE or BLEND->ASE convertor. If I had some ASE exporter for Blender, I could pretty easily export the original BLEND file to ASE. But I don't so I made the Camaro model this way... Maybe I will also download some MD3->ASE convertor or MS3D->ASE convertor or just ASE import/export plugin for MS3D to make tweaks like dividing model to multiple meshes from a single mesh or conjucting multiple meshes to single easily...

Yes the path to the texture / shader has to be always precisely correct. ASE format is useful when you want to make something made in radiant into a map object, but it's rarerly used in the 3D world.

Richfromlondon : if you're dreaming of making more complex stuff, follow the simple modeling tutorials and learn about the UV texturing, it's really useful !

Theftbot
Theftbot
PostPosted: 09-04-2015 10:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 09-04-2015 02:19 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hmm, I'd be going backwards with all of this, that is the feeling.

I don't know now. I can't see how I could create a small sphere in the radiant, I doubt there are any example files around.

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 09-05-2015 04:29 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You don't need any example files as it's pretty simple to do;

1) Draw a cube.
2) from "Curve" select "Cone".
3) press "V" and drag top-most point down ("Esc" or "V" to exit).
4) duplicate ("Space") and re-position.
5) texture (may need "Shift+S" to adjust alignment therein).

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 09-05-2015 04:40 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Attachment:
GTKQuake3SuggestiveExample.JPG
GTKQuake3SuggestiveExample.JPG [ 168.83 KB | Viewed 544 times ]
Is this sort of what you were getting at?

The other image was the first one, I had to scale it down, it looks odd. I took the object from a default map.

Attachments:
planetexample.JPG
planetexample.JPG [ 183.37 KB | Viewed 584 times ]

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 09-05-2015 04:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You said a "sphere" not a circle (flat plane). If you want the latter you literally just need to use a flat patch mesh or thin-ish brush volume (which needs nodraw on all other faces) and apply an alpha'd 'planet' image as the texture - it not really that much different from making and using a decal.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 09-06-2015 01:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I was wondering why you were using a model. Like the other guys said, either a sphere made from patches, or a flat 2D textured surface with a shader seems like the best option.
If you want the image projected on to the skybox, maybe with some cool looking gas nebula clouds floating about, I think I would go the _skybox entity route. You can set up some neat backdrops to project on to the skybox that way, playing about with the alpha channel opacity to give an illusion of depth and distance to moving cloud layers.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 09-06-2015 03:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hang on posters,

I wanted a sphere with the Earth texture as a planet, I don't know how you'd create one, I thought the example with the cone was just to create an illusion of a planet that is round in GTK?

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 09-06-2015 10:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If you follow the instructions summary mentioned previously and ONLY pull the TOP vertex down you end up with a dome (half a sphere). Not entirely sure how you ended up with a flat pancake from that. And no it doesn't create the "illusion" of a planet, it creates a three-dimensional object you can then do stuff to/with (as donkey highlighted).

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 09-07-2015 02:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm finding it hard to imagine exactly what took place, I can't get my head around this set of instructions.

I realesed my map as a final, no response to it. I had left out the planet idea for the timebeing, I had also tried to get into contact with an actor from the tv series the map was based of, I don't know if the guy would want to record some samples for free, whether or not they would work in EF is another task.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.