Quake3World.com Forums
     Level Editing & Modeling
        Q3W Map RIPS on Steam now..

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Q3W Map RIPS on Steam now..

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 12-30-2015 08:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Did you see that?
Pat Howards, Phantazm11´s and AndehX maps got converted by a guy...

Grunt
Grunt
PostPosted: 12-30-2015 10:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I also see a few other maps on there from authors such as wviperw, Nunuk, and Evilair that were converted by random people.
I'm not entirely sure if this is legal, considering that permissions were probably not sought out, or the fact that anyone is free to convert standard Q3 maps to Quake Live without consent from the original author.

Heck, I believe there was a discussion on there where one person converted a map that they didn't create and claimed it as their own work, denying the fact that it was not their own original creation. Loophole in standard copyright procedures?

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 12-30-2015 02:50 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Without the permission of the original authors it's not legal.

STEAM® SUBSCRIBER AGREEMENT -> http://store.steampowered.com/subscriber_agreement
Quote:
D. Representations and Warranties

You represent and warrant to us that you have sufficient rights in all User Generated Content to grant Valve and other affected parties the licenses described under A. and B. above or in any license terms specific to the applicable Workshop-Enabled App or Workshop page. This includes, without limitation, any kind of intellectual property rights or other proprietary or personal rights affected by or included in the User Generated Content. In particular, with respect to Workshop Contributions, you represent and warrant that the Workshop Contribution was originally created by you (or, with respect to a Workshop Contribution to which others contributed besides you, by you and the other contributors, and in such case that you have the right to submit such Workshop Contribution on behalf of those other contributors).

Etile
Etile
PostPosted: 12-30-2015 06:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

that's a shame... Nunuk's maps were outstanding... don't think i'd want to play a shameless ripoff though...

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 12-30-2015 07:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

thanks for the heads up.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 01-19-2016 03:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Who's this ^1Tur^7key joker?
He ripped my stuff too....

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 01-19-2016 06:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Try to contact him over Steam!
I think he did some of Phant´s and others stuff too -and that Stuff like this will happen many times again...
Some Guys are really reckless and or ignorant, its a shame :(

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 01-19-2016 08:55 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i just left a comment on my maps asking the uploader to please take it down and he eventually complied. give it a try.

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 01-19-2016 02:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I just taught someone how to do this properly, I never considered the issue of credit. Good thing I never did any myself ;d

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 01-20-2016 04:15 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

A similar thing happened with maps of me and a friend, after the release of TA. We both were working on TA versions of existing CTF maps of ours when suddenly someone had somehow converted our maps to include TA entities and released then without giving credit. It's a shitty situation to be in.

surfaceparm nomarks
surfaceparm nomarks
PostPosted: 01-20-2016 04:36 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

KittenIgnition wrote:
I just taught someone how to do this properly, I never considered the issue of credit. Good thing I never did any myself ;d

:rolleyes:

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 01-20-2016 05:35 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What are you trying to say? :cool:

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Level Editing & Modeling

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.