Quake3World.com Forums
     Technology & Troubleshooting
        Latest Nvidia drivers with DSR

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Latest Nvidia drivers with DSR

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 10-25-2014 09:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

By "screenies" you mean "screenshots", right?

Your Other Daddy
Your Other Daddy
PostPosted: 10-26-2014 07:53 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DTS wrote:
By "screenies" you mean "screenshots", right?

yes

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-27-2014 03:48 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Dunno what to think of this. The grass in this example makes it look like it undoes everything we've been trying to achieve with AA the past 15 years.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 10-27-2014 06:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

It should be used as a supplement to FSAA, not a replacement.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-27-2014 06:01 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oh kick my balls and call me grandma. I was looking at the wrong side of the screen.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 10-27-2014 06:02 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Doesn't this kill performance though, if you're rendering at like 4 times the pixels for such a relatively subtle effect?

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 11-04-2014 04:25 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

From a computing stand-point...this IS doing a ton of extra work for an admittedly subtle effect, but....I love it, and it sure is easy on the eyes. Does anyone know what algorithm they use to down sample?

I'm thinking this is intended for games where you're already able to draw more frames than your display can draw per-second, so ideally the FPS hit wouldn't be noticeable when applied correctly. Weird to think virtually any modern video card can run doom 3 on max settings like it's nothing....situations like that when you have cycles to burn, this feature would be kinda cool. Though I'm sure you don't have to look as far back as a decade ago, i'm just living in the past :p

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 11-05-2014 05:08 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

That's good to know. Thanks, VolumetricSteve :)

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 09-12-2015 12:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Would a PC now be able to run Doom3* with max settings using this (DSR) feature at 3440 x 1440, effectively rendering it at 6880 x 2880 first, and get a solid 60 fps throughout the whole game? Quake 4, also? Cause that uses the same engine, but might be slightly more demanding due to how much further the art may push the engine.

If yes, would a Mini-ITX PC do it, or would one need something bigger and more powerful?

More specifically, how much VRAM is required to achieve this? Higher resolution requires more VRAM, IIRC, and there are some cards with a huge amount of VRAM available now. Those cards are more power-hungry and bigger, putting the viability of Mini-ITX further into question. (I know the CPU speed must play a role, another limiting factor to Mini-ITX.)

*BFG Edition :sly: (just in case that's any more demanding :paranoid:)

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 09-13-2015 10:58 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I don't think you'll be able to.
Doom3 is DirectX9 level technology (I know it uses OpenGL, but it DX9 gives a clear point of reference). It doesn't make use of a lot of advancements made in graphics hardware in the past 10 years.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Technology & Troubleshooting

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.