Quake3World.com Forums
     Technology & Troubleshooting
        Eyefinity on Radeon HD5870

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Re: Eyefinity on Radeon HD5870

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 02-15-2010 10:33 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I just got a 5850 and will be running eyefinity by the end of the week. The root of the challenge with eyefinity is that the ATI cards only have two timing signal generators. This means you absolutely have to use the DisplayPort to run the third monitor (HDMI counts as a DVI and using passive VGA adapters on HDMI or DVI doesn't work). Now, they say you can use a passive DP to VGA adapter but I hear they have issues. You can also get certain active DP to DVI adapters that work perfectly (AMD has a list of verified models).

As someone who had to buy another display, I would suggest just buying a DisplayPort monitor and be done with it. I picked up this one just yesterday:
http://www.provantage.com/dell-464-1835~7DELL032.htm

I also got this to help mount them better since I'm using different models: http://www.provantage.com/vanguard-vm-841c~7VUSA071.htm

Here is a list of monitors to choose from (the HP models were priced well too):
http://www.displayport.org/consumer/?q= ... pcmonitors

And since the monitors don't come with a DP cable, there is monoprice:
http://www.monoprice.com/products/produ ... 1&format=2

I'll be running 5040x1050. I've already tried it on dual monitors and it looks pretty amazing but obviously you cant game like that. I'll put up some pics once I get everything in the mail. Sadly, no brick&mortar stores carry the DP monitors yet (in fact, few online retailers even do. my link was the best deal I could find).

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 02-17-2010 10:55 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Throw one of the dual-link DVI 120hz monitors in there and I'll forgive you.

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 02-18-2010 01:44 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

They're extremely plush for gaming. Extremely. Hard to quantify in words, but I've been unable to properly immerse in any games since I stopped using CRTs, and only now I'm back on a panel that will do over 60hz am I able to get back into things like I did before.

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 02-18-2010 06:20 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well my monitor came today but still no fucking display port cable >_<

Turns out its actually 1920x1080 so thats cool.

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 02-19-2010 03:27 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Incoming lvlshots from hell

200 fov, customwidth/height

Bad Company 2 plays the best so far but its hard to get used to that much visual data moving around. On the upside I can cover an entire room from one corner. In WoW the fov on the side monitors is really stretched. I haven't compared other games, but BC2 cut my fps in half versus one monitor. I dropped my settings from high to medium and went back up to 40-50 average.

NFS Shift is mindblowingly badass

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 02-22-2010 04:39 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Finally got my stands. Definitely need to go with two more of the Dell. You can't really tell when playing something like NFS but any other time it is extremely obvious.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 02-23-2010 02:38 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

strong nerd

foolproof
foolproof
PostPosted: 02-23-2010 05:04 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Interesting.
Sweet setup, although I wonder whether the level of immersion you obviously gain is worth the investment. Anyway, having multiple monitors always comes in handy.
But I wish they'd make frameless monitors already. I mean the overlap doesn't seem that large, but still...

Looks like you placed the outer monitors at about a 30 degree angle.
And I see in that NFS shot the graphics on the outer monitors get warped a bit.
Is that done automatically to compensate for how you perceive peripheral vision, and is that adjustable?

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 02-23-2010 07:20 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Plan B wrote:
Looks like you placed the outer monitors at about a 30 degree angle.
And I see in that NFS shot the graphics on the outer monitors get warped a bit.
Is that done automatically to compensate for how you perceive peripheral vision, and is that adjustable?

I'm not really sure but that is the biggest issue I've got right now. NFS has the least amount of warping. Maybe if I snap a screenshot of NFS, BC2, and WoW I could compare them to see if the screenshots have the warped FOV. If they don't it is ATI.

The angles seem to work really well with NFS because its truly your view on each side. With my mounting arms I can always adjust for other games (I could also go portrait mode but I'll need three of the same for that to work). One thing I did to reduce the gap is set my middle monitor behind the sides that way I only have one layer of bezel at each seam instead of two.

As far as cost goes, my setup only cost me an extra $374 over the same VC with a single monitor and when I'm not gaming I get the bonus workspace.

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 03-15-2010 10:58 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

What the shit happened in here? Definitely some posts missing.

I do have a big gripe about eyefinity. Randomly when changing devices (opening,closing games) my display port monitor will stop detecting a signal and shut off. I then have to power it down which triggers a rebuild of my array and then power it back on which renews the signal and rebuilds the array. As you can imagine this wreaks havoc on the desktop and games so then I have to find a way to get it to reload (sometimes by exiting the game).

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 04-15-2010 07:03 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Matching Dells in portrait mode:

40" viewable diagonal

Aneurysm
Aneurysm
PostPosted: 04-15-2010 07:41 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

those thick black bars look ace :up:

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 05-13-2010 05:32 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm trying to set up my eyefinity in portrait mode but I cant seem to figure it out, do you have any pointers?

god xor reason
god xor reason
PostPosted: 05-18-2010 07:55 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

MRST83 wrote:
I'm trying to set up my eyefinity in portrait mode but I cant seem to figure it out, do you have any pointers?

It is exactly the same as landscape mode. The only difference is before you create the display group you rotate each monitor (in the catalyst cp, little drop down thingy on each display) to the proper orientation. If you already created a display group, save that profile (so you can easily go back later) and then destroy it.

True Nightmare
True Nightmare
PostPosted: 06-07-2010 12:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

http://techreport.com/discussions.x/19043

LCDs with 2.4mm, yes, millimeter bezels. Too bad they're 60" screens...

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Technology & Troubleshooting

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.