Quake3World.com Forums
     Technology & Troubleshooting
        automate dial up my adsl connection at xp startup?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: automate dial up my adsl connection at xp startup?

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 08-12-2005 06:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

is it possible to tell windows, that once i have started the machine up and logged in, to dial my connection?

axbaby
axbaby
PostPosted: 08-12-2005 07:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

in the internet optipn in the control panel
click connections then click
dial whenever a network connection is not present

to be honest this is just a guess that it will work

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 08-12-2005 09:22 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Easiest way to do this would be to use an ethernet router or modem, instead of a USB one?

if you already have one, there should be an option to enter username/password in there and have it redial independantly of the PC. I think.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 08-13-2005 01:51 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

open network connections
create a shortcut to your dsl connection by trying to drag it onto the desktop
make sure your dsl connection dials automatically when you double click it
put the shortcut in the STARTUP folder of your programs menu (start button menu)

note: ive experienced some issues with doing this on win2k.. ymmv

axbaby
axbaby
PostPosted: 08-13-2005 05:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i assume it's a modem connection

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 08-13-2005 07:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yeah, usb adsl modem. crock of shit to be honest. thought about the router thing before, but as always, £££ and from what i can see, many pitfalls to avoid?

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 08-13-2005 08:59 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

No there aren't really any pitfalls with ethernet modems.

Modem: Thing to convert phone line signal to something a PC can use
Router: Something to direct data from several PCs into a single internet connection
Hub: allows several PCs to connect to a single network

If you buy an 'ADSL Router' then what you're buying is usually a combination of all 3 items above.

However, you can just buy an 'Ethernet ADSL Modem' which has a single socket for the phone line and a single socket for your PC.

I think you should go for one of these. You can buy them very cheaply now (about 30 quid). The benefit is that later down the line, you can buy a seperate router, hub, or combination unit, and still use the modem with it.

You may take an hour to set it up in the very first instance, but that's just a learning curve becuase it's different to a USB modem. Once that's over with, you'll understand for future and you'll be getting the benefit of a dedicated unit.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 08-14-2005 02:20 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ok, i get ya. now. if i wanted to connect my xbox to it too, which i cant at present......would this do the trick for both? http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BT-HOME-NETWORK-1 ... dZViewItem . and presently, my motherboard has an ethernet socket, can i just plug my xbox into that?

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 08-14-2005 03:14 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

With a bit of work in Windows XP, it would be possible to have your XBOX working plugged through your PC *I THINK*. However I'm not very good with XP's 'bridging' feature, and I suspect that in order to use the XBOX that way, the PC loses connectivity while you're using the 'BOX.

Regarding that item, that's a BT '2WIRE' unit, which only has a single ethernet socket to hook up to. If you wanted to use your XBOX and PC as well, then one of them would have to be using a wireless connection (because there's only one socket to use). Alternatively, you could buy a Hub or Switch to add more network sockets.

I guess this is getting a bit confusing :)

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 08-14-2005 03:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

gawd damn.

Timed Out
Timed Out
PostPosted: 08-14-2005 04:01 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

-Nick- wrote:
gawd damn.

Myself and Mike are currently having a conversation about ADSL routers because he wants one now.

I've recommended this unit: http://www.ebuyer.com/customer/products ... _uid=59004

This will do everything you're asking for. ADSL Modem, Router, Hardware Firewall and 10/100 Switch with 4 ports.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Technology & Troubleshooting

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.