Quake3World.com Forums
     Macintosh Discussion
        Need to play a nvs file on a mac.

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Need to play a nvs file on a mac.

Hi, I like money
Hi, I like money
PostPosted: 03-12-2007 09:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Any ideas?

So far im thinking parallels is the best route. But a native app would be better or even a converter.

Thnx

Last edited by Iccy on 03-12-2007 09:14 AM, edited 1 time in total.

oldskool
oldskool
PostPosted: 03-12-2007 09:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

wots un nvs file?

Hi, I like money
Hi, I like money
PostPosted: 03-12-2007 09:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Its a nullsoft/winamp format

Last edited by Iccy on 03-12-2007 09:15 AM, edited 1 time in total.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 03-12-2007 09:15 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

as in sound?

oldskool
oldskool
PostPosted: 03-12-2007 09:16 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

did you try VLC?

Hi, I like money
Hi, I like money
PostPosted: 03-12-2007 09:22 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Its for a friend, he is trying to play i think a audio file. VLC doesnt support i believe at the moment. Ill tell him to try but its not listed on the supported format list.

Hi, I like money
Hi, I like money
PostPosted: 03-12-2007 09:30 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ok nevermind. i talked him into parallels.

Thnx guys.

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 03-12-2007 03:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

VLC supports like everything, i'll never use another player for anything but mp3's (winamp4lyfe)

Risen From The Ashes
Risen From The Ashes
PostPosted: 03-12-2007 03:42 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

People still use winamp? :shrug:

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 03-12-2007 03:49 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yes. Winamp5 is great. What else should I use? Foobar?

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 03-12-2007 04:24 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i use winamp 2.81 - what's the point of upgrading? Is it gonna make my mp3s sound better or something?

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 03-12-2007 04:30 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I dunno, but there have been a bazillion bug fixes since the old 2.x days

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 03-12-2007 04:37 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

[xeno]Julios wrote:
i use winamp 2.81 - what's the point of upgrading? Is it gonna make my mp3s sound better or something?

yes, modern mp3 players support 3D sound and 4x sound-aliasing.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 03-12-2007 04:46 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

mjrpes wrote:
[xeno]Julios wrote:

yes, modern mp3 players support 3D sound and 4x sound-aliasing.

isn't 3d sound just a gimmick, unless the source audio was encoded or generated specifically for that purpose (like a3d audio in fps games).

4x aliasing- that work with all mp3s? make a noticeable difference?

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 03-12-2007 04:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

[xeno]Julios wrote:
4x aliasing- that work with all mp3s? make a noticeable difference?

yes, creates a much smoother listening experience.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 03-12-2007 04:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

:icon26: :icon26: :icon26:

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 03-12-2007 06:39 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

mjrpes wrote:

Quote:
It's easiest to describe aliasing in terms of a visual sampling system we all know and love—movies. If you've ever watched a western and seen the wheel of a rolling wagon appear to be going backwards, you've witnessed aliasing. The movie's frame rate isn't adequate to describe the rotational frequency of the wheel, and our eyes are deceived by the misinformation!

The Nyquist Theorem tells us that we can successfully sample and play back frequency components up to one-half the sampling frequency. Aliasing is the term used to describe what happens when we try to record and play back frequencies higher than one-half the sampling rate.

Consider a digital audio system with a sample rate of 48 KHz, recording a steadily rising sine wave tone. At lower frequency, the tone is sampled with many points per cycle. As the tone rises in frequency, the cycles get shorter and fewer and fewer points are available to describe it. At a frequency of 24 KHz, only two sample points are available per cycle, and we are at the limit of what Nyquist says we can do. Still, those two points are adequate, in a theoretical world, to recreate the tone after conversion back to analog and low-pass filtering.

But, if the tone continues to rise, the number of samples per cycle is not adequate to describe the waveform, and the inadequate description is equivalent to one describing a lower frequency tone—this is aliasing.

In fact, the tone seems to reflect around the 24 KHz point. A 25 KHz tone becomes indistinguishable from a 23 KHz tone. A 30 KHz tone becomes an 18 KHz tone.

In music, with its many frequencies and harmonics, aliased components mix with the real frequencies to yield a particularly obnoxious form of distortion. And there's no way to undo the damage. That's why we take steps to avoid aliasing from the beginning.

http://www.earlevel.com/Digital%20Audio/Aliasing.html

how would 4x aliasing fix a badly recorded sound source (note the last paragraph)

(i'm sensing possible sarcasm mjrpes :) )

Soccer Practice!
Soccer Practice!
PostPosted: 03-12-2007 06:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I updated. I like every plugin that sparks my interest actually working and not crashing winamp.

You can use the oldie version tho.

Some people cant handle change, thats fine. :)

It curdled, and then I couldn't drink it. So I mixed it with some water, and it was alright again.

I am now sick.

Veteran
Veteran
PostPosted: 03-12-2007 09:17 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I really only use Winamp for the modern skins, but I'm starting to not like the resource usage and may go back to 2.81.
For a while I refused to upgrade, think it might be time to downgrade.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 03-12-2007 10:54 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

dzjepp wrote:
Yes. Winamp5 is great. What else should I use? Foobar?

iTunes ;)

And shepherds we shall be, for thee my Lord for thee, Power hath descended forth from thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out thy command, we shall flow a river forth to thee, and teeming with souls shall it ever be. In nomine patris, et fili, et spiritus sancti.

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 03-12-2007 11:30 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

[xeno]Julios wrote:
mjrpes wrote:

Quote:
It's easiest to describe aliasing in terms of a visual sampling system we all know and love—movies. If you've ever watched a western and seen the wheel of a rolling wagon appear to be going backwards, you've witnessed aliasing. The movie's frame rate isn't adequate to describe the rotational frequency of the wheel, and our eyes are deceived by the misinformation!

The Nyquist Theorem tells us that we can successfully sample and play back frequency components up to one-half the sampling frequency. Aliasing is the term used to describe what happens when we try to record and play back frequencies higher than one-half the sampling rate.

Consider a digital audio system with a sample rate of 48 KHz, recording a steadily rising sine wave tone. At lower frequency, the tone is sampled with many points per cycle. As the tone rises in frequency, the cycles get shorter and fewer and fewer points are available to describe it. At a frequency of 24 KHz, only two sample points are available per cycle, and we are at the limit of what Nyquist says we can do. Still, those two points are adequate, in a theoretical world, to recreate the tone after conversion back to analog and low-pass filtering.

But, if the tone continues to rise, the number of samples per cycle is not adequate to describe the waveform, and the inadequate description is equivalent to one describing a lower frequency tone—this is aliasing.

In fact, the tone seems to reflect around the 24 KHz point. A 25 KHz tone becomes indistinguishable from a 23 KHz tone. A 30 KHz tone becomes an 18 KHz tone.

In music, with its many frequencies and harmonics, aliased components mix with the real frequencies to yield a particularly obnoxious form of distortion. And there's no way to undo the damage. That's why we take steps to avoid aliasing from the beginning.

http://www.earlevel.com/Digital%20Audio/Aliasing.html

how would 4x aliasing fix a badly recorded sound source (note the last paragraph)

(i'm sensing possible sarcasm mjrpes :) )

lol... i tried to be sarcastic but got owned by the existence of what i thought did not exist :olo:

hey, btw julios... ever had an interest in hegel? last thursday i discovered an audio lecture series on the phenomenology of spirit and am finding it insanely interesting and can't stop listening...

http://www.bernsteintapes.com/hegellist.html

i always thought he was a dense and unreadable philosopher... but this lecture series has really been an eye opener of him.
:) :) :)

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 03-13-2007 12:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SOAPboy wrote:
I updated. I like every plugin that sparks my interest actually working and not crashing winamp.

You can use the oldie version tho.

Some people cant handle change, thats fine. :)

i dunno about you, but i use winamp for a very simple purpose - to listen to mp3s.

I don't have a need for advanced file management, or intelligent playlists, or 4 dimensional visualization schemes, or fancy skins.

all i need is to listen to mp3s.

I find winamp 2.81 lean, reliable, and fully functional insofar as my needs are concerned.

What plugins do you use?

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 03-13-2007 12:41 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

mjrpes wrote:
hey, btw julios... ever had an interest in hegel? last thursday i discovered an audio lecture series on the phenomenology of spirit and am finding it insanely interesting and can't stop listening...

http://www.bernsteintapes.com/hegellist.html

i always thought he was a dense and unreadable philosopher... but this lecture series has really been an eye opener of him.
:) :) :)

tx for the headsup - no never read hegel. I tried some heidegger but couldn't really get much out of him. I'm still very leery of the phenomenology approach, but that's largely due to my inability to understand it.

maybe this lecture series will shed some light...

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 03-13-2007 09:45 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Iccy wrote:
ok nevermind. i talked him into parallels.

Thnx guys.

np