Quake3World.com Forums
     Macintosh Discussion
        Is There / Was There a Univesal Binary For 1.31 ?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Is There / Was There a Univesal Binary For 1.31 ?

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 08-01-2007 02:56 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hi,

I just made the jump from G5 Dual to MacPro Quad but my clan still runs servers in 1.31 for tourneys. I guess I can run Bootcamp but was there ever a hack to run 1.31 in UB mode? I tried everything I could think of (which aint much...lol).

Thanks.

Kempston Joy
Kempston Joy
PostPosted: 08-24-2007 01:52 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

it's not a 'mode'. it would need to be recoded, so no.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 08-25-2007 09:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well, there is a universal binary for ioq3, which is based upon the 1.32c source code.

The only issue with this is that it doesnt have Punkbuster support, since it is based upon the GPL'd release which didnt include this. You can connect to any 1.32 server that isnt running PB (and these days, you probably shouldnt be using PB anyway since it sucks big time, and prevents you using less buggy + exploitable software like ioq3).

Ah, wait, you wanted 1.31 compatibility. Nope. Tell your clan to upgrade like they should have done 7 years ago.

If you're feeling like coding, you could probably tweak ioq3 to report itself as protocol compatible with 1.31. IIRC the only reason id bumped the version protocol is that there is an exploitable bug in 1.31 which allows clients to become invisible and they didnt want that to work on 1.32 servers, not that there was really a network protocol change. IMO this is the same reason your clan is stupid running 1.31 (unless they exploit this bug of course...)

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 08-31-2007 01:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I think I have a UB build of Q3 lying on my disk somewhere, and I don't think it's ioquake either. Am I hallucinating already?

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Macintosh Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.