Quake3World.com Forums
     Programming Discussion
        Looking for a license

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: Looking for a license

Señor Shambler
Señor Shambler
PostPosted: 10-25-2009 06:41 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I am being required to contribute work to a website project for my "Client-Side Web Programming" class. The professor has been talking about potentially getting grant money to support the project, and I don't want anyone pocketing money at my expense. So to protect my work from being used in such a manner, I'd like to attach a license to all of it. Which licenses that you all know of would fit this description?

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 10-26-2009 01:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Is the plan to share it with the world with the exception of corporate overlords? The GNU Public License nicely fits the bill: you retain the copyright but other people are free to extend your project as long as they make their changes available. Note that the GPL is viral. If other people use a single line of your code, their project becomes GPL'ed automatically. If that isn't what you want, consider the Lesser GNU Public License which allows people to link to your code but still requires them to make any modifications available.

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 10-26-2009 01:39 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Or am I misreading your post and the thing you really want is to retain the copyright exclusively? In Western countries you are the copyright owner by default unless you signed your rights away. Which may be the case if you are a student. You'll want to consult a counselor on this, I think.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 10-26-2009 05:30 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

^ above is not entirely true.
the school automatically gets the rights of everything produced by its students.
i know of many cases where students got royally shafted by corporate giants like MTV because of this

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 10-26-2009 06:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

^ above is not entirely true either. It depends on the school. My final project was (C) 2004 B.W.R. Noordhuis.

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 10-26-2009 07:11 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

^ oh.
well check with your school then.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Programming Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.