Quake3World.com Forums
     Programming Discussion
        some kind of weird request

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: some kind of weird request

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 12-15-2015 09:13 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Hello there,

I'm Nick, I'm a 3D artist. I'm remodeling, (in high poly, almost photo-realistic) some levels of soldier of fortune 2, just for the visual candy purpose, it's actualy not for gaming. I would like to render "demos" inside the remodeled environement (sort of a tribute to a game I loved), however, I have no idea how to extract the data from the demo. Kevin at seismovision kindly pointed me to the source code of quake 3, but to my untrained eyes, it looks like a bunch of "if" and "else" that I can't make any sens of. Anyone familiar with the part of the code used in the process of decyphering the demo files ? Anyone could point me maybe to someone who already went through this ? I also would like to know, do the demo file posess the same stream as the one going through internet while playing ?

Thanks in advance !

Nick

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 12-15-2015 05:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

cl_game.h, cl_input.h, client.h.

Those files seem to primarily handle most of the code regarding demo playback. How I determined that was opening up visual studio, hitting ctrl + f, selecting Entire Solution and just flipping through all instances of "demo ", that's "demo" with an extra space behind it. If that didn't return anything I would have added another space in front, just as a starting point.

Sounds like you're trying to take some of the recreated game content and simply show it rendered in Q3A? To do that it doesn't seem like you would need to modify the gamecode. Just create a new map with the content, and run around with it. UDK might even be better, if you're just trying to make the new content look nice.

Cool #9
Cool #9
PostPosted: 12-16-2015 04:13 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Are you rendering the level in SoF2 itself? If so, check if the avidemo command exists in SoF2. It does in Quake 3 and it outputs each rendered frame to a TGA image. You can then use some 3rd party tool to stitched the images back together into a full motion video.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 12-16-2015 09:49 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

google pjbmp2avi. That would do it.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Programming Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.