Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake 4 Discussion
        help me! ... already

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: help me! ... already

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 06:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

sooo, couple hours in and i've played a total of 3 mins online. i installed the game, got online, pizza came, shut it down, ate, tried to go back, but oh no. no, not at all. when i first open it up the game browser will populate a list, but i cannot connect to any of the servers (will always say failed after 15 challenges). if i hit get new list, or refresh list, it will tell me 0 quake 4 servers found. every time.

so, i've deleted my cfg, i've disabled my firewall, i've put my pc outside the dmz on my router, enabled punkbuster, everything i can think of, nothing has worked. not to mention made any sense considering it worked the first time i tried it, and that's it. ... anyone had this problem/fixed it?

Hella Cool
Hella Cool
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 06:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Maybe it's a server issue? I don't have q4 yet but it sounds like the server could be down?

Also you can try uninstalling & reinstalling.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 07:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

well, i was hoping a server issue, but the 600 ppl on enterthegame seem to be having no trouble at all ><. and since this happened the second time i opened it after install i'd rather know how to fix it than reinstall the 5 cd's over and over :/

Hella Cool
Hella Cool
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 07:01 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

If you could find the server ip address you can trying pinging it in cmd to see if you can reach it or not.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 07:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

well...i gave in and reinstalled. still no workie >:(

edit: also, i can ping the servers inside cmd just fine

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 07:58 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ok, so .. update, i guess.

IF i chose to start a non-dedicated server, then thru the menu go to game browser while the server is running, i can get it to search the servers out there, but it will display only the one i am running. in the console i get:

"rvServerScan::AddActiveServer() - info response from -ip-port- while not scanning"

where -ip-port- is any one of about 200+ it goes thru. above that section it sends out the getinfo to all those servers. so it appears my q4 is requesting the information, then not waiting long enough to recieve it?

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 09:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

ok, well. problem finally solved, although i don't know what caused it.

turns out something in my router was borked. i connected my pc directly to my cable modem w/o the router, and it worked, put the router back and it didn't, reset the router to factory results and now it works through the router. really wierd though, as all my other games (q3 included) was working fine through the router as of yesterday.

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 09:51 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm having the same problem. When I first loaded up Q4 the server list filled up. I then quit playing and came back and now no matter what settings i use the, ingame browser wont display any servers...

I opened up the ports on my router and still no go.

Dont make a bit of sense to me...it worked at first, plenty of servers refreshed. But now loading the game up 20 min later and it wont retrieve the server lists. :confused: :icon23: :icon23:

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 10-18-2005 10:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

welp, thats exactly the problem i had, so i'd suggest connecting your pc directly to your modem if possible, to rule out your router if you use one.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 10-20-2005 06:15 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I'm having the same problem (i'm new here hi guys). I am running Win2k3 server (only PC I have to play this game). And I tured EVERYTHING off as far as firewall and even added ports to the router and in windows firewall, even though it is off. And I still can't see any servers in the list. I was able a few times to connect via IP, but only after taking the eithernet cable out from the router and plugging it back in again while trying to connect to an IP. It worked and I was on fine. However, leaving the game and trying again didn't work.

is there something I am missing. I can't even connect when I am direct to the modem. My other Game Star Trek Elite force works perfectly fine. I can see all the servers, and people can even play on my server no problem.

I also noticed that Doom III, on that same PC doesn't see servers either. Something must be up. My Mac on the same router playing Doom III. I can see the servers in the list. When I run the PC as a dedecated server, i can see it on the LAN from my Mac fine, just not in the internet list.

It just not getting out of the router and just that one computer.. Am I missing anything here other then turning off all Firewalls?

HELP. :(

Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
Messatsu Ko Jy-ouu
PostPosted: 10-20-2005 06:17 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

running an internet dedicated server wont show up in the internetlist on your LAN. thats normal, it has to do with the LAN and WAN IP addys. chances are the outside world can see it just fine

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 10-20-2005 09:02 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I understand that. But, what i was getting at was I can't see the server when setup for internet play, in the internet list. Like it is not getting out.

I have the same server setup for both regular play and server dedicated for a different game (EF). Quake III based game, and it works perfectly fine. I get in and out no problem. Ports were added to the router to get it to be seen outside the router for server setup. works great. I did the same setup for Doom III and Quake IV, and neither game works via server setup or being used to play the game. It doesn't see any servers in the list, even without the router in the way.

I am believing that it has to be Win2k3 doing something to block this. But, why these Doom III based games, and not the Quake 3 based games?
EF uses 27960 as a port by default, and I believe Quake 4 uses 28004, I can't remember what Doom 3 uses.

Even so, that would only effect the server from being see outside my router, not blocking me from seeing the servers out in internet land.

I can ping the server I want to connect to, if that helps any.

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 10-20-2005 08:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

another update incase people are still having trouble -- my problem returned again, same as before. now i have upgraded my routers firmware and it appears fixed again, guess i'll find out tomorrow if it goes back to the problems again, but still, another thing to try.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 10-21-2005 05:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

what OS are you running? I have narrowed it down to being a Win2k3 problem. As another PC with the same install disc used on my same network. works perfectly fine. so, it isn't the install. Its not the router, as that other PC doesn't have any port forwarding or anything like that going on. Just this Win2k3 server is being a pain.

I will have to wipe it and install Win2k server and just deal with it. :(

Immortal
Immortal
PostPosted: 10-21-2005 06:46 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

xp home service pack 2.

also, the router is a d-link di604 hardware rev e3. and it's still working for me, so it looks like the firmware update did fix it for me; it was somehow setting auto filters for the game is the best i can figure, because it would work after resetting to factory, but only once, then it wouldn't work the next time i ran quake.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 10-21-2005 09:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

anyone tried disabling the router's SPI firewall?

straight at you
straight at you
PostPosted: 10-21-2005 09:05 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

SPI shouldn't really be causing problems though. NAT could be though if it's running.

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 05-25-2007 12:06 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

"welp, thats exactly the problem i had, so i'd suggest connecting your pc directly to your modem if possible, to rule out your router if you use one."

how, exactly, do you do this?

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 05-25-2007 04:52 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

unplug the cat5/6 cable going into the WAN port of your router and connect that same cable to the network interface card on your pc. most likely you'll need to reboot the pc and/or the modem so the pc will get a new IP address.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 05-25-2007 06:32 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Note that this isnt the most likely cause of the problem if you're using Q4 1.3 (and earlier?) and are unable to get a server-list from the ingame browser (you may need to set net_master0).

You realise I guess that this was a very old post? :)

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 05-26-2007 07:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

AnthonyJ wrote:
Note that this isnt the most likely cause of the problem if you're using Q4 1.3 (and earlier?) and are unable to get a server-list from the ingame browser (you may need to set net_master0).

You realise I guess that this was a very old post? :)

ok, so how do i set net_master0 if its not my router?? :confused:

Insane Quaker
Insane Quaker
PostPosted: 05-28-2007 07:57 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

put

seta net_master0 "q4master.idsoftware.com:27650"

in your config, or type it at the console without the set part.

Implied but not directly asked earlier is - you've installed some of the current patches, yes? You won't be able to connect to servers that are running a different patch than you have installed.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 05-28-2007 08:18 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Actually he'd want:
set net_master0 "192.246.40.28:27650"

The reason for this is that some versions of Q4 have an issue with the way they're getting the IP from that cvar, and some DNS servers seem more tolerant to its incorrect behaviour than others. Specifying it as a dotted-quad means it doesnt need to do a DNS lookup, so it has no problem.

This is fixed in q4 1.4 and later.

(I already replied in a PM, as I got a little flood of them ;)).

Recruit
Recruit
PostPosted: 05-29-2007 03:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

AnthonyJ wrote:
(I already replied in a PM, as I got a little flood of them ;)).

:icon25:

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake 4 Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.