Quake3World.com Forums
     Quake 4 Discussion
        How is that possible?

Login | Profile | | FAQ | Search | IRC

Print view Previous topic | Next topic 
Topic Starter Topic: 

I nose it!
I nose it!
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 07:06 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

And mess around with your mouse sens. Don't worry too much right now about accel or whatnot, just get your sens at a point where it's steadying your aim. Not too fast, not too slow. A lower sens can help you steady the machine gun for instance, and keep it trained on the other player more easily. If the sens is too high it makes it harder. You can always increase the sens in increments but perhaps for now, lower it.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 07:07 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I alrdy messed with it. I tried 90 and didn't like it so I raised it to 110 which am more comfortable with.

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 07:08 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

yet higher fov lowers your fps

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 07:09 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

And Ive alrdy tried the different mouse sensitivitys. I have it to where am comfortable with it.

I nose it!
I nose it!
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 07:11 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You could also think about getting a bigger monitor for even better vision. A lot of people might not agree, but for me, it really helped when I changed to a 19". Now I can get two frags instead of just the one! :idea:

Gibblet
Gibblet
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 08:15 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

go here and choose reflex 2. work on ur aim and response time

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 11:00 PM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Some people can pick up things very easily and get very good at it then others. It's just a fact of life. Think of athletes, some of them are very good at what they do and most people wouldn't even dream of performing at the same level. Same goes for games.

The Afflicted
The Afflicted
PostPosted: 11-13-2005 11:21 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

NitrousFlare wrote:
im sorry, but, mouse accel isn't good.

pfft. :dork:

Elite
Elite
PostPosted: 11-14-2005 12:14 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You really don't have to play alot to be good at fps games. I've been at the the top of Q3 players for quite a long time, while I usually played between 30 minutes to 1 hour of duels a day.

It felt good...
It felt good...
PostPosted: 11-14-2005 12:36 AM           Profile   Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

You at top? Says who? :paranoid:

social engineer
social engineer
PostPosted: 11-14-2005 12:59 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Fjoggs wrote:
They don't have the fabled life.exe executable on their desktops.

:olo:

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 11-14-2005 01:38 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

oxytocin wrote:

493000 for my first attempt, which was better than I expected to be honest. But, then, it doesn't really help in Quake 4 because my desktop mouse speed is a lot faster than my Q4 in-game mouse speed.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 11-14-2005 06:09 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

To get better at anything, it’s important to train correctly. Someone could play FPS games for years and not make significant gains if they don’t train smart.

The main thing is to always push yourself and face good competition. If the competition is usually worse, it’s easy to coast and not evolve. After that, watching demos and going to LAN’s helps a lot because there’s so many techniques in game and configuration/hardware out of game that can help you that you may not think about – study others and stand on their shoulders. Lastly, work on specific fundamentals as best you can – namely aiming and movement. Instagib is a good mod for practicing your aim. Capture the flag is a good mod for practicing fast movement – time your flag captures and work to improve your time. Dueling is a good mod for practicing your mental game. FFA is a good mod for putting everything together.

Old Skool'
Old Skool'
PostPosted: 11-14-2005 08:00 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Oeloe wrote:
In the Q3 movies The Badge 2 and 3 the way the players predicts his opponent's movements is visualised in a very nice way. It shows how a skilled player experiences everything that happens in the game.

Or a good scriter.
The Bagde series are cheated. Strandtyp said so himself. :p

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 11-14-2005 09:23 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Krazy_K wrote:
I alrdy know I'm out of talent. Am just pissed because it seems like im the only fucking one. But I know I have no talent from my time on unreal tournament. I spent 3 years playing for like 4 hours everyday. And not only did I not get better.....I also fucked my eyesight. Played that much when my moniter's refresh rate was at 60htz and I didnt know it. So eyesight went from 20/20 to 30/70. So to sum it up, I lost my eyesight for nothing. :icon33:

Thats not true. You've already lost if thats your mindset,change it.

Think of it like chess and break it down to simple things, enemy has just got the armor:so get the mh or other armor/shards.Enemy hit you, hit him back with an "aimed" shot depending on the weapon it may put you in the advantage.Learn the weapons and when to use them. Most important of all be calculating in everything you do,everything is premeditated.

As for your aim check your sensitivity I find in ut2k4 I use a lower sensitivity (18inches(45.7cm) per 360) due to being able to dodge into the "shot" so to speak In quake I use 10.5inches(26.7cm) per 360(mousepad is 11 inches(27.9cm) wide)
Soon after you finding the most comfortable sensitivity all round (usually for aiming lower is better and for movement higher is better) You will see the screen as your mousepad providing you always start in the center so certain shots become a habit at least if your a twitch aimer like most ppl.Also the better you understand your oppenants movement speed the better you will be at visualizing through walls where he is and where he will be in view next.

P.S. I am by no means pro at q4 this is just general fps knowledge you can apply it to any fps.

The Illuminated
The Illuminated
PostPosted: 11-14-2005 09:56 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Riptide wrote:
I find in ut2k4 I use a lower sensitivity (18inches(45.7cm) per 360) due to being able to dodge into the "shot" so to speak In quake I use 10.5inches(26.7cm) per 360(mousepad is 11 inches(27.9cm) wide)
:olo: I've read this before. Tbh i can't really remember how i used to aim when i began playing Q3 online 2 years ago, but i guess i used quite a lot of hand movements. Now i never make moves of more than 5 cm (2 inches) with my wrist and i do all the aiming by controlling the mouse with my fingers. A 1600 or 2000 DPI mouse helps if you want to aim like that. For low sens you don't need high DPI but your reflexes will never be as fast as they can be with high sens.

18 inches... fuck, my screen is 17 inch. :icon28: :icon32:

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 11-14-2005 10:12 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Ya I use your method of aiming for tracking/precision shots. My larger movements are from locking the wrist and moving forearm up/down/left/right (b,a select start :P)

One Man Army
One Man Army
PostPosted: 11-14-2005 10:24 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Yeah, the badge is fake.

I'm not the best player, but I can remember the exact moment when I was a total noob in q2 and everything clicked. I was spec'ing some guy who was miles better than me and thought "wait a minute, why am I playing like a fucking retard? THIS is how you play quake." Right after that moment I started destroying spirits, and crushing souls. Strange but true.

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 11-14-2005 11:37 AM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DooMer wrote:
Yeah, the badge is fake.

I'm not the best player, but I can remember the exact moment when I was a total noob in q2 and everything clicked. I was spec'ing some guy who was miles better than me and thought "wait a minute, why am I playing like a fucking retard? THIS is how you play quake." Right after that moment I started destroying spirits, and crushing souls. Strange but true.

well, that's a good question to ask all gamers

truly, inspiring

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 11-14-2005 12:22 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Originally posted by oxytocin:

My computer won't load it.

Originally posted by clkou:
Instagib is a good mod for practicing your aim. Capture the flag is a good mod for practicing fast movement – time your flag captures and work to improve your time. Dueling is a good mod for practicing your mental game. FFA is a good mod for putting everything together.

I tried the instagib idea on both ut and quake. On unreal I played insta for 2 months straight, and it didnt make a hughe difference. When I tried it on quake it was always on Q3dm17, and I couldn't even fight back. I would just spawn, take one step, and get railed 13 times in a row. I hate capture the flag and team deathmatch because I hate being on teams with ppl. 1v1 is the only thing I play. And FFA I used to play alot on ut, but I'm sick of it for a bunch of reasons. I hate getting shot in the back and I hate ppl always stealing my fucking frags.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 11-14-2005 01:57 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Krazy_K wrote:
I tried the instagib idea on both ut and quake. On unreal I played insta for 2 months straight, and it didnt make a hughe difference. When I tried it on quake it was always on Q3dm17, and I couldn't even fight back. I would just spawn, take one step, and get railed 13 times in a row. I hate capture the flag and team deathmatch because I hate being on teams with ppl. 1v1 is the only thing I play. And FFA I used to play alot on ut, but I'm sick of it for a bunch of reasons. I hate getting shot in the back and I hate ppl always stealing my fucking frags.

Haven't you painted yourself into a corner? :/

Mentor
Mentor
PostPosted: 11-14-2005 01:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Krazy_K wrote:
When I tried it on quake it was always on Q3dm17, and I couldn't even fight back. I would just spawn, take one step, and get railed 13 times in a row.

Must've been InstaUnlagged. For some reason almost all the IU servers either run q3ctf1 (CTF) or q3dm17 (all other game types). Take a map that already suffers from excessive railwhoring in VQ3 and introduce it to instagib. :icon27: <-- note how I never use that smiley. I do now.

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 11-14-2005 02:02 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

i seriously think you're problem is that you're takign the game too seriously. When i play, i do my best when i'm not even thinking about my score. Right when i do start thinking about my score, and telling myself, c'mon, go for the win, you can do it, kill everyone! i start to dwindle down the scoreboard.

open, lather, rinse, repeat

I nose it!
I nose it!
PostPosted: 11-14-2005 03:18 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

DooMer wrote:
Yeah, the badge is fake.

So what exactly was the breakthrough for you that changed your game forever in the pursuit of crushing souls? Was it simply a realisation of controlling the maps for armour and MH? Or something else?

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 11-14-2005 03:29 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Originally posted by pookie:
Haven't you painted yourself into a corner? :/

Well I'm just saying that everything you guys are telling me Ive alrdy been told, and have tried before.

I nose it!
I nose it!
PostPosted: 11-14-2005 03:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

How have you got your keys set up? Do you use WASD or similar? Have you also tried invisible weapons? I find that better personally. There's less distraction by not seeing the weapons, and more visibility for aiming. Simply focus on the crosshair. I use it all the time in Q3 and now in Q4.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 11-14-2005 03:59 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I use WASD for movement. I have all weps (except darkmatter) binded to all the keys aruond my movement keys. And invis weps fucks me up. Cuz half the time ill forget what wep am using and try to rail someone with a nade or something.

Trainee
Trainee
PostPosted: 11-14-2005 04:00 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Krazy_K wrote:
Well I'm just saying that everything you guys are telling me Ive alrdy been told, and have tried before.

I find it hard to believe you even read what I said. Your problem doesn't seem to be any magical settings because they don't exist just long as your comfortable with them everything else is in your head.

I nose it!
I nose it!
PostPosted: 11-14-2005 04:23 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Krazy_K wrote:
And invis weps fucks me up. Cuz half the time ill forget what wep am using and try to rail someone with a nade or something.

Putting aside forgetting which weapon you're using, have you at least tried it enough to see if it improves your aim? But also, you should be able to do it by feel. Your fingers will go to the weapon binds you created. Example, I don't need to see my rail, I know that mousewheel down will change to rail, wheelup for RL, spacebar for hyperblaster, etc. Try it. Find someone to spar with as well.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 11-14-2005 04:28 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Well ill try it a bit more and see if i can get used to it. I can't remember the cmd for it though.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 11-14-2005 04:31 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

Originally posted by NitrousFlare:
i seriously think you're problem is that you're takign the game too seriously.

Well I try not to. But I really lose my nerve when someone rails me 15 consecutive times, or spawn frags me 4 times rapid fire in 10 seconds.

Warrior
Warrior
PostPosted: 11-14-2005 04:36 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

gwt quake three, and practice with bots.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 11-14-2005 04:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

I have quake 3. And bots dont do shit. I own the bots everytime.

I nose it!
I nose it!
PostPosted: 11-14-2005 04:43 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

The command is ui_showgun 0

( ui_showgun 1 to show weps again)

And if you're getting railed that much every spawn, then your movement needs looking at. Don't spawn and stand still, always be moving/dodging.

Commander
Commander
PostPosted: 11-14-2005 04:44 PM           Profile Send private message  E-mail  Edit post Reply with quote

And can someone tell me the cmd for invis weps again? I wrote it down somewhere and cant find it now.

Quake3World.com | Forum Index | Quake 4 Discussion

Quake3World.com
© ZeniMax. Zenimax, QUAKE III ARENA, Id Software and associated trademarks are trademarks of the ZeniMax group of companies. All rights reserved.
This is an unofficial fan website without any affiliation with or endorsement by ZeniMax.
All views and opinions expressed are those of the author.